Ki(energy) consumption in ESF:F

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Talks about a tutorial and everyone ignores the manual in 1.2.3

Its not the best, but ive seen people jump in playing ability just from reading it. Im blaming lazy people who dont want to read it slightly.

In any case we are hoping to solve that issue for the final though.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys should've included that awesome Flash tutorial with the game. It pretty much taught you everything, and did it amazingly well.

NNK's tutorial was pretty boss too.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Lock on will need to be done right. Extremely static lock ons will hurt the game more than none. You will be locked in a specific view unable to retaliate at anything outside your field of view. Some kind of soft lock on that just follows your target enemy's general direction, and which is also automatic, will probably work best.
A lock on might be to much, if the camera automatically follows one target, what happens if a second one appears? It could make it go crazy between the two of them the more distance there is between them. And if there would be a button for starting a lock on, well this game already has to many buttons for certain things that are being dealt with in F.

Most Characters in DBZ as they became stronger could "sense" incoming danger, well except for Frieza who could not sense energy and Buu of which it was never clearly said if he could sense energy or not, android 17 and 18 might have had the same issue, but let's say in this game everyone can sense energy. So how about we get something like a warning that appears on screen when someone is incoming that should tell the direction from where he's coming and it should also either grow or be more flashy the closer the enemy comes, something like those warnings that appear in shooters and tell you approximately from where the shot came only a little different.

Would something like this even be possible?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You have the radar for that. It also displays KI attacks now, so you know where approximately those are compared to you.

As for why we didnt include the flash tutorial with the game.

Because it was made 3 years after the release of the game >.>

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Just wanted to give a small (and probably useless due to the game type idea, though I will let you judge that) regarding newbie friendliness.
You know how some games show buttons on screen which also say what actions said buttons do during appropriate situations? Such as the Takedown prompts(Is that the correct term? Sorry, not too sure.) in Deus Ex Human Revolution when you are close enough to an enemy?
Couldn't something like that be implemented? For example, when you are being knocked around, a picture of the button(Lets say, a small mouse icon with the left mouse button colored to show that it needs to be pressed for said action) with a brief description saying something like "Press for Recovery" appears.
This can apply to any scenario the team feels could be tough, maybe powerstruggles or throwing enemies? This could also be completely optional, maybe also could be disabled on servers if needed.
Would this be any good, or even possible?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That wouldnt be good for all instances.

Especially in melee you wouldnt have enough time to read up on what the buttons do.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I really don't understand where all these problems are coming from? I had that in the first 1-2 months I played... VERY rare that it happens now.

Easy for me to be honest with you. Only a few players manage to get completely out of my aim, the better you are the more you spot.

Double tap is indeed removed.. but it never was hard if you wanted to learn.. the people that didn't want to learn gave up fast .. and there were a lot of those.
The other thing I hope the lockon doesn't do anything more than telling you where your enemy is... and right now the radar and intuition is much more than you'll ever need .. but well 1.3 will have more speed so I guess it's aight?
It's not about learning to coope with those annoyances. It's about movement (at least) having to feel natural instead of going out of your way to swoop and also making you prone to human error leaving you helpless.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
prone to human error?

If you duel someone , lets say Shadi.

If neither of you make a mistake/error then you'll both chase each other for eternity not landing a single blow on eachother because none made a mistake.

Of course that isn't the case as Shadi would beat you with 100% HP left ( and I don't have a shadow of a doubt when I say this ).

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
A game based on mistakes is not a good game.

Skill, on the other hand...

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
I have one thing to add for the guys saying it's too hard to do this and that. No one stated it's an easy game so far as I know.. some games you have to spend several hours being good at and some you just have to press WASD space/ctrl and left click in order to become good. I think I'll rest my case with that. I hope 1.3 won't be THAT easy .. as in you'd actually perfect moves in a matter of 1-2 weeks but yeah.. We'll see.
1.2.3 was a real beauty and I hope 1.3 will be in its own way as well.

Last edited:
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
prone to human error?

If neither of you make a mistake/error then you'll both chase each other for eternity not landing a single blow on eachother because none made a mistake.

Of course that isn't the case as Shadi would beat you with 100% HP left ( and I don't have a shadow of a doubt when I say this ).
Well in most games, you have to force your opponent to commit a mistake, with your skill or the power of love.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The two difficulties I've had with playing are movement, and enemy location. My first suggestion would've been what you said last. That double tap is the most annoying thing I've done ever. Movement should be intuitive and fluid. You shouldn't have to worry about what key you should be pressing next to do what you want. Instead, it should come naturally as you pay most of your attention to your enemy's positioning. The double tap messes things up immensely. You miss one tap (Or it doesn't register), or press it thrice, and you are just floating along as an easy picking.

The other main issue is focusing on other players. The game is maybe a bit too fast paced in that regard but it is extremely hard to keep your target in view when you both are super close to each other. The Z axis is the culprit here. It is because of this reason you are always locked on to the other player in the Tenkaichi series. Playing without lockon would be both players spending more time searching for each other than fighting. Some sort of lock on IS needed. Otherwise it is just too hard to focus on other players. 360 degrees in both xy and xz plane is a complicated thing to navigate.

From what I've seen in Final, both these issues are being paid proper attention to. So I'll just have faith in the Devs and see how the deal with the issues I've mentioned.
I think that giving players something like an aimbot would absolutely kill the game, but I strongly believe that ESF should have some sort of automatic visual cue for the last person you hit, as well as the last person who hit you. For example, if somoene hits you, maybe they're now surrounded with a red box.

1.0 and 1.1 had a visual cue surrounding the person who you're fighting with, but it wasn't automatic, you had to double click on someone, and you needed that on in order to swoop, which was terrible. I'm sure that if they did something like this for 1.3, it could be designed to look a lot nicer, too. I couldn't find any screenshots online, but go to 37 seconds in to see an example of this.

http://youtu.be/Ax-OruentBs?t=37s

I know the new version has something similar to this, but it's not quite the same.

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
1:15 shows it better imo.

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
prone to human error?
I am talking about the double tap thing that @Shadi was so Ok with. It's not OK to have something which can easily go wrong in a game. Any game has to feel natural through its button assignments. Obviously you are not going to always be able to cater for everybody. But it's not about button assignment as much as it is about the prerequisits of buttons for an action. Double tapping a button is never the way to go. Using 2 different buttons in tandem could work though. I agree completely with @Z Power when he was saying that you should never have to think about buttons when you are playing a game. That is bad design. Games are meant to be as immersive as possible. OFC in this department we will always be limited by our common peripherals, the Keyboard and Mouse.

I too would like to have Unlimited Ki for Flying around. I mean if someone is so scared of you that he just continuously flies away then just switch targets and start battling someone worth fighting. I do however think that flying forward should be faster than flying in other directions as technically you would be more aerodynamic like that. Then again, this game ain't no simulation. I am a bit worried at the moment that the fights in ESF:F will be too short. No epicness element. But if Ki consumption for flying was eliminated then it would extend the amount of time spent fighting which would be awesome^^

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
There are ways of moving that take next to no ki to use, such as beamjumping, or (god forbid) running/jumping. It's simply a proven fact that flying in itself, in the series, used KI. And even if it didn't, it would need to have the ki cost for balancing issues.

A few other things to mention, health has been dramatically increased and damage has been increased to a lesser degree. So fights WILL take a little bit longer. You won't be killed in 5-6 hits. But my experience in one vs ones (which is very extensive) shows that fights between 2 equal people can literally take hours in this game. If you want your fights to drag on, get very good and fight an equal opponent.

I also think they were devising ways to enable the use of bigger attacks during melee combat, but I haven't heard much of that since it was shown.

Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
@Flip
Double tapping is easy and not so problematic as you state it. The game never meant for it to be easy to do a million hits and do you have the skills to do so it's definitely deserved. It doesn't easily go wrong once you learn it which doesn't take a lifetime either. If it was that problematic people wouldn't be able to have such good controls over swoops. Not only do they have it easily by nature but also in dire situations. They're not asking you to memorise huge codes but simply double tapping a button, period.

@Darkowns
An equal fight is the most fun when you have 9-9 and doesn't take that much longer haha.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Double tapping is pure evil. It may be easy for you Shadi, but you have thousands of hours playing ESF. For someone who is new to the game, it really is a pain to have to be focusing on that and every other unique mechanic at the same time. If you don't believe that, watch someone who is new try to play the game and struggle with it. They'll see someone coming from a mile away and not be able to move out of the way because double tapping is clumsy and hard to get a hang of.

NOT IN THE MANGAโ„ข
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Double tapping is pure evil. It may be easy for you Shadi, but you have thousands of hours playing ESF. For someone who is new to the game, it really is a pain to have to be focusing on that and every other unique mechanic at the same time.
It takes what? An hour to get used to double tapping, including a glimpse of how to chain swoop? Definitely pure evil, people don't have that much time!

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem here is that people dont know they exist when they start. No one really bothers to read the manual or anything like that. Again ive seen someone from being total beginner level with no idea how to do anything to pretty much being able to kick ass in a server full of new people just by reading the manual and using that knowledge to play, rather than just being in the server going "How to play" when i told him to read it and where it was.

The systems are not standard, but they are not really counter intuitive. Most people just dont really want to bother learning to use them. Face it its a trend of the newer generations that they have to get everything served on a silver plate. And thats kinda whats punishing them in games that have different mechanics than what they are used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom