Retired
Best answers
For those who are really into imaging and knwo what stock photos are what do you think. are they wrong to use or are they ok to use to a certain extent?

me personally i think there great i just alot of sotck photos for business sites and portoflio sites for people. Ohh yea and if you gusy say there being stolen not mine. i purchase stock photo cds from companies here in winnipeg so i paid for them fair and square lol.

anyway what do you think?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
stock photos are really the only way to go, unless you are also a photographer and a very good artist as in drawing. I think stock photos are great. Of course when you do go professional they will most likely give you some photos and other resources to work with.

but yeah id go with stock photos they are appropriate for alot of things and its legal unlike what we do with these copyrighted images =)

Best answers
All the pictures I take are my own, I have my own stockfotos and all pictures you see on my site are my own, they are not re-distributed by any other means. I put them up as part of my portfolio, not as a means for people to use, heh.

But I use stock fotos in alot of pictures, they help out alot, and can really allow your site to have a professional look.

Alot of people think they are cheating, well if they are your own pictures, how are they?

*shrug* all a matter of preference.

Best answers
They're not really cheating...I just get a bit disturbed when people feel an image full of ones they found on the net and say it was made completely by them....liars.

Like Tim said, if you take the picture your-self then sweet job to you...buying them..eh, they are legally yours but you still didn't create them. Not cheating though.

I prefer making a nice little 3d image personally....I find that it just feels that much better knowing you made it completely.

Stocks are definantly cheating though when you are in a battle/contest where the rules say no stocks :p

Best answers
Hehe, I take all my stock fotos by hand, so if used in a wallpaper, and people critisize saying I cheated by them, well i can just go up to em and tell em to f0rk off..

but if in a contest, yea your right.

Best answers
well i dont really use them much, but when I do I just go to www.deviantart.com or some shiz and get some.

i dont care if im taking someone elses pictures, becuase im too damn poor and lazy to take my own, and I could care less about someone suing me over a stupid picture of something that isnt even theirs. i mean if its on deviantart under stock photos then u know someones going to use it, if you want them to or not.

Best answers
Depends on the context. I find it is very difficult to get stock photos or images of exactly what I want: be it characters, lighting, color, pose, etc. So most of the time I end up creating everything I need. But if that's not a viable option you just have to go with what you can get. Though I think the proper way to do so is to cite where you got everything. Unless you have purchased the photography, or you have expressed written consent from the original illustrator/artist/photographer. By no means is stock photography cheating, it's just a different way of doing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom