11-Year-Old Autistic Boy get branded a cheater by Xbox live.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According to a tweet from the guy in charge of handling such things, he was grabbing achievements at a rate not actually possible through play. Long story short, gaming savant or not, he was cheating. XBL hasn't provided the proof they had, but they did say they approached the mother with the evidence.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So he thought his autism would prevent him from being marked a cheater.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If he's 11, is he even allowed to use Xbox Live? I mean, with parental consent, maybe...but who lets an 11 year old autistic boy onto Xbox Live?

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If he's 11, is he even allowed to use Xbox Live? I mean, with parental consent, maybe...but who lets an 11 year old autistic boy onto Xbox Live?
By a strange coincidence His mother does xD

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just because you're a little slow, i'll let you in on a secret.
being autistic doesn't mean you're automatically unable to communicate with anyone. it just means you percieve the world differently to others. and the level of autism is different on such a huge scale from person to person, that you can't ever really say "an autistic person can't do x".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there another Avenger who posted in this thread? What you commented on clearly wasn't aimed at what I wrote unless you're blind or high. Or both.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There are X-Box Live settings that include parental controls, as well as Recreation, Pro, Family or Underground zones.

If someone with autism has the veracity to hack, then maybe there is hope for curing the disease through video game therapy.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The more functioning autistics handle computers well, from what I know... it's all logic, and logic they understand (usually). Social norms, behaviour, etc, they do not. And you can't "learn" that as an autistic, sadly for them.

Edit: Note that higher functioning ones can "copy" and try to fake it, but it's generally not successful at all.

Last edited:
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The more functioning autistics handle computers well, from what I know... it's all logic, and logic they understand (usually). Social norms, behaviour, etc, they do not. And you can't "learn" that as an autistic, sadly for them.

Edit: Note that higher functioning ones can "copy" and try to fake it, but it's generally not successful at all.
I actually looked up celebrities with Autism to point this out last night but didn't post it:

•Gary Numan, musician
•Peter Tork, musician and actor
•Satoshi Tajiri, creator of PokeMon
•Matt Savage, musician

Autism can be really bad, or just make you a bit detached and difficult to read. It all depends on how hard it is for the Autistic to pick up on societal cues. I saw somewhere an interesting piece of research that shows that two healthy humans engaged in any kind of social activitiy start firing neurons in their frontal lobe in synchronicity, and that an autistic mind fails to do this. A facinating disease, as well as heartbreaking in the worst cases.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never said computers were all they could do, I was just commenting on Synth's remark. In any case, whereas an autistic has to think to pick up cues, the rest of us pick them up by default. Hence what I mean by copying and "faking" it. You'll always notice it in a conversation longer than a minute. I've talked to a few "functioning" ones. I wouldn't put any of them to work in PR, recruitment, or in general places where you need to be skilled socially, but if they're highly functioning, then technical things aren't a problem (and I never insinuated that this was the case).

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never said computers were all they could do, I was just commenting on Synth's remark. In any case, whereas an autistic has to think to pick up cues, the rest of us pick them up by default. Hence what I mean by copying and "faking" it. You'll always notice it in a conversation longer than a minute. I've talked to a few "functioning" ones. I wouldn't put any of them to work in PR, recruitment, or in general places where you need to be skilled socially, but if they're highly functioning, then technical things aren't a problem (and I never insinuated that this was the case).
I actually wasn't arguing with you. I didn't see what you wrote as "they can only do computing!" I was just contributing to the conversation and elaborating on what you said about adjusting to society.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
then maybe there is hope for curing the disease through video game therapy.
Autism isn't a disorder that can be cured, although work can be put in to help manage it. This comes from a good number of years working with autistic children ^^.

Avenger's right, in a sense, that some are able to understand "logical" systems quickly and generally have difficulty in social situations. It's a spectrum though, some may only misunderstand jokes or seem eccentric. Whilst not "100%" in social situations, many have an understanding of what society expects from them and what's acceptable or not. There's the reverse though, there are others that don't understand the implications of stealing or violence.

We really need to see this evidence if we're going to brand it as cheating. A typical autistic behaviour is collecting/organising things, so it's possible that cheating was merely the most efficient way to complete his collection. However, there are the alternatives, outside intervention or methodical gaming. At a glance, the boy seems to be the kind who takes pride in earning achievements. It's not evidence by any means though, autistic people are generally difficult to judge at first glance.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Autism isn't a disorder that can be cured, although work can be put in to help manage it. This comes from a good number of years working with autistic children ^^.

Avenger's right, in a sense, that some are able to understand "logical" systems quickly and generally have difficulty in social situations. It's a spectrum though, some may only misunderstand jokes or seem eccentric. Whilst not "100%" in social situations, many have an understanding of what society expects from them and what's acceptable or not. There's the reverse though, there are others that don't understand the implications of stealing or violence.

We really need to see this evidence if we're going to brand it as cheating. A typical autistic behaviour is collecting/organising things, so it's possible that cheating was merely the most efficient way to complete his collection. However, there are the alternatives, outside intervention or methodical gaming. At a glance, the boy seems to be the kind who takes pride in earning achievements. It's not evidence by any means though, autistic people are generally difficult to judge at first glance.
The tweet said that proof of tampering was found and presented to the child's mother.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The tweet said that proof of tampering was found and presented to the child's mother.
I was aware that the mother had been shown the evidence. I do wonder what it was like though. If he had obtained a ridiculous number in a short period of time, something would be up.

Best answers

^Everything he said. I have Aspergers, so I'm the perfect example of what he pointed out. Dealing with a different way of thinking as a individual among hundreds/thousands of people who share a common logic that is different than mine is hard. The copying pretty much goes for every type of behavior/movement. It's fun at times, but goes with much stress and anxiety for failure at the same time. :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom