Best answers
Gameplay > Graphics
1.6 > Source

Moved to Video Gaming.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If i may ask. Why is 1.6 the best? How is the game play different? I mean, aren't they pretty much the same but with better gfx and better hit boxes?

(i have never played 1.6, only source)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.6. Source hurts my FPS especially when smoke grenades are involved. I'd rather play something graphically below par than an unplayable, albeit beautiful mess. Of course, if and when I upgrade i'll more than likely change my answer.

The only change of any importance is the inclusion of ragdoll physics on players, and nobody gets killed by HE grenades these days anyway.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've never played Source, and don't intend to... I've had too many people on the internet and in real life, tell me it's trash.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1.6 ftw, but Ive never played Sauce, so its hard to make a fair comparison.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those of you who are interested in the differences, there was a thread a while back about this:
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=51650

Pain said:
I guess everyone can chalk it up to their own personal experiences but I've noticed a great many differences between 1.6 and Source. Now the develepors deny the existance of some of these, but it's fairly obvious they are there.

Movement --
1.6 : It seems unrestricted save for jumping.
Source : It seems like you have to shift your weight around when you change directions sometimes.

Recoil --
The developers deny any difference with recoil but I think we all know it's there.
1.6 : Spray is not too effective at long and medium ranges. Burst shots are your best bet.
Source : Say what you will, I can pop a guy in the face at long range consistently with spray, while in motion. It just gets ridiculous sometimes.

Hitboxes --
1.6 : Hitboxes came a tad off the model. Possible to get a headshot when you were aiming slightly above the head.
Source : Seemed that the hitboxes lagged behind the player. Shooting behind where he is would score you a kill (helps with the spray argument).

Weapon delays --
1.6 : Slight pause before you can fire, nothing so bad that it will get you killed.
Source : A slightly longer pause it would seem most of the time. Can get you killed in the middle of an intense firefight.

Grenades --
1.6 : No mass to the grenades, they fly around easily and are easily seen due to a very visible size. Can bounce them around corners pretty far. Flashbangs only blind, no hearing loss. HE grenades cause damage through walls, no hearing loss. Smoke grenades are fairly easy to see through.
Source : They seem heavier and fly on a lower angle. Are far smaller and harder to spot. In fact you can even damage a person by throwing a grenade at them. Harder to throw grenades off of walls. Flashbangs and HE grenades cause hearing loss. HE grenades no longer damage through walls. Smoke grenades are very hard to see through.

Animations --
1.6 : Basic animations for what have you, decent enough. Player models seem to be standing upright. A nice kill animation if you get shot with something powerfull (fly back) or a headshot (fall backward).
Source : Basic animations are just as nice. Player models seem to be hunchbacked. Ragdoll is a definite plus most of the time. Headshots no longer make the player fall backward, powerfull shots no longer push the player back.

Environment --
1.6 : Save for planting the bomb or breaking glass, nothing really going on here.
Source : Canisters, picture frames, computers, planks, etc etc. Very nice interactive environment.

Walling --
1.6 : Can shoot through various walls and objects. An advanced tactic used when you know where someone is but don't have a line of sight.
Source : Bullets no longer travel through anything except a few select things. Not very usefull at all.

Obviously I'm not going to compare graphics because that's what Source is all about. Weapons, maps and models are also moot due to Source having (or going to have) all the same.

Source has a lot of good points, but it also has some bad. Overall gameplay I would say 1.6 still has it over Source. Patches will come, Source will get better and then it will overtake 1.6, but not as it stands now.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Although I dont play lot of CS: Source(Hooked on DOD: Source), CS: Source greatly improved last couple of months.

Also its recommended that you join a server with a minimal tickrate of 66, or the game will play as garbage.

The spraying also aint as good anymore, and the hitboxes are actually correct instead of 1.6.

Best answers
CS Source is better in my opinion. The minute differences in gameplay don't make a difference to me.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have both cs 1.6 and cs:s and i like cs 1.6 more.
there has to be some difference in gameplay and game behaviour.
i'm not very high skilled, but i don't suck in 1.6, but in source nothing works when i try to play normal.
in source i dont have the feeling that i hit where i aim.
when i play cs:s like i play 1.6 i often dont get any kills.
but if i just rush and spray shots like hell, i get 2-4 kills per round.
cs:s just doesnt feel like cs.
just my opinion :)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bunch of poppy****. Anything uncomfortable can affect your interpretation of gameplay for the worse regardless of whether or not anything changed. Playing with a silencer makes me more accurate even though technically the silencer reduces accuracy for single rounds. How the hell does that work? It just feels better because I hate the non silenced firing noise, it distracts me and I feel less accurate.

The models are not identical so I could understand hitboxes not being identical, but spray long range I can't understand. Try shooting at somebody long range with a fully automatic anything in source and follow the bullet trail. If you jump in a game and get two lucky headshots that doesn't mean the guns have no recoil, it means you got two lucky headshots.

The two versions feel very different because they look and sound different. The animations, the maps, the models, are all the same, but different enough that you can become uncomfortable moving from one to the other. The engine jump is hugely noticeable, and even if everything was perfectly identical, including recoil, people wouldn't be able to tell because it feels different. Some days I get headshots right and left with the AK and some days I shoot like crap, depending on my mood, what's on my mind, and how much I've played that day so far; that doesn't mean the game is different every time I play, it means I am, and I think people have trouble making that distinction.

P.S.- Some of those comments are outdated, such as shooting through walls. I've seen plenty of it, mostly on newer maps.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks Pain, that gave me a lot of information. What would you choose? 1.6? or Source, if you don't mind me asking.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Thanks Pain, that gave me a lot of information. What would you choose? 1.6? or Source, if you don't mind me asking.
Reread 2nd post in this thread for his reply. :p

Best answers
I would say Source. I think it's sad that some companies can't do anything to their own games without people *****ing and moaning (WoW being another good example). Valve can't even experiment with it's own games because of the uptight overly-critical community (not meaning you guys... certain hard-line people who's already pathetic lives would be ruined if Valve touched the game they play 24 hours a day). As far as I'm concerned, 1.6 and Source are the exact same. People just find things to ***** about. Valve got so ripped into about the shield they actually removed it for source (which I thought was a bad idea, at least give a server command to disable it).

I played CS since .6 beta... though 1.6 is a great classic... I don't think it's very different from Source at all. Maybe it's just me, but I could never see anything too drastic in the difference between source and 1.6 to complain about.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm tired of this same freaking same thing. It's still Counter-Strike IMO. They need to come up with new weapons, new game plays, a new theme. I would play counter-strike source more if they put the VIP maps there too.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tassadar said:
Valve got so ripped into about the shield they actually removed it for source
Surely the AWP gets ripped into just as much, if not more? It's much easier to kill someone with a shield than someone who shoots you across the map through a crate which kills you with one shot. They should've removed that instead.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
source ftw!..!..!
cs1.6 sucks as hell ... new generation ftw!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sauce ftw o/

But only when Vac dosnt check some stuff every 5 seconds and makes me lag :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom