1.3 = Not what you expected?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The biggest problem with 1.3 is that it favours beamspam so much that it makes me cry. Swooping has become really bad, and the movement is nothing like it used to be. And when swooping you are sure to be hit by a beam. So i deleted 1.3 shortly after the install. Not gonna test anymore untill it's done, then we will see if the movements are somewhere near playable, and if the team has stopped favouring beamspam.
Alright, now that you are done *****ing about it, what do you suppose they do to make it better?

I personally love the dash now. I hated the swoop in 1.2.3, loathed it, the double taping was bad. Now it's single tap, it's a lot easier to manuever around. The swoop is great too. Especially in phobius's new server, how you can fly across the map in one swoop, but at the cost of your entire ki. That's fun :D.

I say, don't change anything, fix the advanced melee, and toss it in the game :D

Best answers
The fact that you can't stop a dash is what kills it. Simple as that. Thats the main thing im so much against, and as you can read, alot of others are as well.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree that swooping needs a lot of work (we need drifting back), but small beams are an integral part of a match unless you're "MELEE ONLY!" In that case, you're probably not good enough to handle both melee and beams, so I can understand why you might not want beams to have a slightly larger role than they once did.

That said, as long as people aren't charging kames all the time and using them instead of trying to engage the enemy in close-quarters fighting, I'm fine.

Best answers
Hehe Zeonix glad that we agree a bit for once. Well I don't mind the smaller beams, but what i mean with them favouring the beams are: our swoops cannot be stopped, if he is swooping he IS going to be hit by the beam. So what I'm asking for is: possible to stop the swoop/dash whatever. And perhaps make the dashes a bit longer, but that might be asking for too much.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree that we should be able to stop. But again, this is an open beta so you can't expect everything to be perfect. You're not taking advantage of the situation we're in. For once, we can change 1.3 for the better. We can tell them what we think and we can't be told, "Don't judge it until you try it." until it's finally released. Download 1.3 again, and help us figure out ways to make the swooping not suck. It's all on us now.

Our ideas can and will shape the future of esf. So get to it -_o.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hehe Zeonix glad that we agree a bit for once. Well I don't mind the smaller beams, but what i mean with them favouring the beams are: our swoops cannot be stopped, if he is swooping he IS going to be hit by the beam. So what I'm asking for is: possible to stop the swoop/dash whatever. And perhaps make the dashes a bit longer, but that might be asking for too much.
Pcjoe earlier in this thread said:
I agree, it's annoying that you can't even stop it, and it feels clumsy. I stated at the top of my suggestions thread that neither the team or beta testers are quite happy with dash. We're experimenting trying to find the best middle ground between charged turbo (swoop) and dash. We really want players to not be flying across the level every 2 seconds, since we think (if we get it right...) it'll be a lot more fun fighting face to face for more than 0.25 seconds, and not while locked in an arbitrary guessing system (aka, 1.2 melee). Either way, I'm pretty sure in the next build dash will be stoppable on command (just let go), along with quite a few other changes we decide to apply in the next team meeting.
I dunno, I don't really get why people are asking for things that I already said are coming, but okay.

Dad: "Son, I'm getting you a DS for christmas."
Son: "Daddy... I want.. a DS for christmas..."
Dad: "You're... getting a DS for christmas..."
Son: "I want a DS for christmas daddy..."
Dad: "..."

Edit: lol... Well, I guess you guys just missed my post, but it seems like you're getting the point now :)

Best answers
Now beams might be a part of the game, and it's the noobish part.

Most of the good players are the ones who actually still play this game, untill a few days ago when newbs came back to test. I doubt the good players would want a day at beamspammers paradise(aka. slow and no-skill gameplay).
Noob friendly is good at some point, but the noobfriendly should stop at a point. In my opinion it should take a LOT of effort to become very good at a game (not something thats achieved in a month).

And about the low fps: How can it be that good machines can lose so much power in 1.3... Hello everybody this is a HL1 mod, not HL2... It's impossible to be such an fps eater.

Here is the thing. No matter people are going to cry about skill. When they master one system..then it changes to something diffrent..and they are not as good with it. They are going to say the same thing no matter if it is true or false.

I don't mind neg feedback. Just the only thing irk me is that you uninstall because of gameplay instead of helping the team with testing for bugs. Beam spam has always been in the game. From 1.0 to 1.3. We always had beam spammers. This version is No diffrent in the spam. Sure it is harder to get away. But you know. The team could always change that with feedback. Like maybe charge swoop lets you knock beams away? The system is still being worked on.

Best answers
I agree completely with Nightshade

I've become comfortable with 1.23 and its always a little hard to move on to something new, 1.23 wasnt an easy game to get the hang of, let alone master.

I cant blame the esf team for wanting to fix that steep learning curve, I just hope there will be more advanced techniques to move on to, once someone has mastered the basics.

as for beams, I dont mind them playing a larger role, all that needs to be tweaked is the damage radius really, because most of the time, its the splash damage that kills you, most spammers dont bother aiming much.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steep learning curve? 1.2 was by far the most noob-friendly of the betas (Well...there was only one before it...), and yet people still *****ed and moaned about getting their asses handed to them. The problem isn't that ESF is too hard. The problem is that when a person becomes good at the game, he's suddenly a million times better than everyone else. I think the game was made too easy, giving hardcore players an overwhelming advantage over everyone else. People are able to touch us with splash damage from beams and prepunching from the back. That's it. If we see you, you might as well just type kill in the console.

Personally, I think ESF should stop focusing on trying to make the game easy for everyone, and focus on making ESF a learning experience, in much the same way 1.1 was. Don't get me wrong, 1.2 required some strategy, but the only real combo was the 3 hit combo, which could be done on the ground, off of the walls and on the ceiling. If anything, we need deeper gameplay. Dbz-lovers like the idea of "training" and getting "stronger", and if we have a system where practicing at night on a bot or all by yourself makes you better, they will come, and the pros will stay.

"You're all talk! What do you have in mind!? Contribute!"

I'm on 56k, and I'm dling as fast as I can. Once it's done, I'll give an extremely in-depth review of everything. Lozl. Just kidding. I'm just going to ***** about certain features and how to improve them.

Best answers
I think 1.23 wasnt as hard to adjust to, had you moved over from the previous beta, since melee, though changed, the basic concept was carried over.

But jumping into your first game of esf ever, 1.23 was unquestionably harder to get the hang of, what with no melee targeting, and the introduction of ad melee (though once anybody learns it, they never use it, except to spam combos)

If the game was as noob friendly as you think, there would be alot more good players around.

Best answers
Yep, what Mountain Dewd said. Heres another fact that i've probably mentioned before. All the good players aren't going to make the switch to 1.3, they say that it's competly nooby, and so it is. The good players like a challendge, and I'd have to give my credits to the team for making such a wonderfull 1.2.3, I love it's melee system. On the other hand..1.3 wasn't such a good idea. You guys could've done better >_<

-GuZzie

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Uh...we all left. It isn't like there weren't tons of good players. We all just stopped playing because 1.2.3 doesn't really have that "something" that makes us want to keep playing.

Guzzie, the reason your euro friends don't want to switch over is because they're afraid they might not be good anymore. Meanwhile, anyone who was good in America during 1.1, and 1.2.3 is more than willing to switch over to 1.3. Why? We don't care about being number 1. We care about playing a game that is actually fun. If we get good, awesome. If we don't, doesn't matter as long as we're having fun. Don't confuse the mentality of anyone left in Europe to the pros that have left the game. You'll find it's quite different.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yep, what Mountain Dewd said. Heres another fact that i've probably mentioned before. All the good players aren't going to make the switch to 1.3, they say that it's competly nooby, and so it is. The good players like a challendge, and I'd have to give my credits to the team for making such a wonderfull 1.2.3, I love it's melee system. On the other hand..1.3 wasn't such a good idea. You guys could've done better >_<

-GuZzie
Why do you think they released ESF 1.3 as an open beta for public testing? So the ESF team can make ESF 1.3 better. Besides, how do you know that the fact you stated is valid?

Guzzie, the reason your euro friends don't want to switch over is because they're afraid they might not be good anymore. Meanwhile, anyone who was good in America during 1.1, and 1.2.3 is more than willing to switch over to 1.3. Why? We don't care about being number 1. We care about playing a game that is actually fun. If we get good, awesome. If we don't, doesn't matter as long as we're having fun. Don't confuse the mentality of anyone left in Europe to the pros that have left the game. You'll find it's quite different.
Why does everyone get this notion that European players are better than American players, and vice versa? I don't mean to look stupid, but honestly, I never knew why discussions of skill, playing style, etcetera, became a matter of where you're located (yes, I know that ping/ latency is a big factor).

Is ESF 1.3 what I not expected? Yes, in a positive way. Honestly, ESF 1.3 so far has went beyond my expectations, so kudos to the ESF team.

I don't really have any complaints about anything so far, but that's just me.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right now, there are more "pro" European players than there are American players, making them the people to beat. Why are there more of them than us? We all left. When we still played, we were infinitely better. In short, people believe the euros are better right now because they are. There is barely anyone for them to fight.

Best answers
personally... i am loving the new swoop/dash system! me and kaination had some really fun fights earlier today...

im excited to start having some 1v1s going...

the glide was the first thing i was missing but i quickly got over it. HOWEVER... you can still use the glide out of a charged swoop... try just tapping the powerup to stop the swoop and then hit the fly ki and you will notice that you are gliding like the good ol days... if you are able to manage your ki well that steep learning curve is still in affect... you can still own anyone if you hone in those skills. swooping doesnt have to stop if you dont want it to... use it to your ki's content. i love it!

the knock backs are far enough away to give a chance for alternative measures such as deciding to use a beam or whatever you can come up with... you can choose to throw a beam at them or charge up that swoop and get there in about 2 seconds and continue the insanity. the dash speed is nice and keeps the fights more localized and not all over the place... unless of course you decide you want to test your accuracy with the blinding speed of charged swooping... which in a perfectly balanced way... can be blocked much easier because doing a side hit is way harder at those speeds. if someone is using the speed to beat you... block and use the dash to keep the fight where you want it to be. choose to play defensive and you might find yourself winning.

i really think that anyone who is having problems with the way it is right now just needs to give it a little time and practice... you can initiate a charged swoop in the same amount of time that you could double tap for swoop like before... just get your timing right and play around with it.

just take some time to master the new swooping and i promise you will be loving it!

oh... and of course as im sure you are aware if you have been playing the beta... the hitting on the ground to no end... needs to have a stop put to... other than that id say the open beta is right on track to an amazing dbz fighting experience.

i say way to go esf devs... you got something great goin here. its just the refreshment that esf needed... and its not even finished yet ;)

Discord Member
Best answers
listen guys.........you wanna stop wile dashing or swooping???
then just tap shift and you stopped......:rolleyes:
And i really dont understand you guys......They came out with an open beta so we could test the game make suggestions on how to make it better.....but so far i seen only loosers who whine all the time instead of providing good suggestions on how to make the game better.....
The ESF team does this in their free time.......they are not payed for this......even worse......paying servers nd stuff even makes them loose some money....and all you do is complain?!;/
IF you think ESF 1,3 is ****........make something better ;)

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[Riced]JP I changed my cvars to make swoop speed a little quicker but dent your ki well doing it to balance it out. The default speeds are a bit slower then that maybe just a tiny bit faster then dash so don't expect to go into all servers with my settings because nobody will probably play around with them like I do.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thank you for your insight, shadowcast. Hearing the same regurgitated response over and over next gets old.

Before an idea can be formed, we need to know what's wrong. How do we figure out what is wrong? Whatever makes people ***** is what is wrong. So let people *****. Let people complain about certain features. Eventually, they'll tire themselves out, and will be struck by a fantastic idea, which they'll share with us. It's a process. Stop trying to skip steps.

Best answers
The fun fact is, whenever I say what I think is wrong about it and what should be changed to make the game more fun for ME I'm flamed for not being positive enough. But that's of course not unusual here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom