1.3 = Not what you expected?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
duh this is how it goes

But hey thats a good thing for every 200 people that whine like annoying people there will be at least 1 helpful person that posts a bug. It's all about tuning out the unhelpful people and finding the good ones.

Best answers
The only real problem I have with it so far, is the fact that it takes forever to be able to transform. There should be an option when making a game to set the default power level. Because when I get home from going wherever, I sometimes feel the need to power up to a Super Saiyan 2 or 3 and bomb the **** out of some enemies. And I don't always want to have to sit there and fight all the way up to that power level. And the swoop system doesn't seem very different to me at all. Maybe just a slightly different setting or something. It wasn't very hard to get used to. Maybe like, 10 minutes. But so far, judging from what I've seen in this early beta, it's gonna stomp ass upon it's release. And now that I think of it, there was one glitch I found. (Not sure if someone else already found it or not.) Sometimes when I get smacked away, and hold the button so I regain control in the air, after the meter disappears, it reappears a couple seconds later, and I am unable to move for about 5-10 seconds.

Best answers
I was just being honest, and voicing my opinion, dont treat it like a personal attack.

Its hard to come up with "solutions" considering that the dev team has their own plans, and most of my suggestions would be related to fixing issues in 1.23 melee.

Complaints are part of the feedback process, so dont be so arrogant as to dismiss any negative feedback as "whining"

If you think my critique was undue, than thats fine, but I didnt just jump into 1.3 and say "ZOMG dis is teh Sux!" I spent time with it, and to be honest, I left feeling confused about which way the game was going, and unhappy with alot of the new features, but I knew this was an open beta and things are subject to change.

I play esf on a regular basis, unlike most people here, so I am genuinely concerned about the direction of the game, I just think you guys should take a step back, if you cant handle a little negativity at this stage, maybe open beta wasnt the way to go.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if you cant handle a little negativity at this stage, maybe open beta wasnt the way to go.
If you can't handle posting suggestions with your whining, maybe joining a forum wasn't the way to go.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dont complain, suggest how to make it better.. it'll make us feel better and you feel better =o things are always subject to change, thats why all you guys have the beta to test and suggest, and give a reason WHY it would make it better than how it currently is

Best answers
I'm fine with suggestions,

But weak comments like that are exactly whats wrong with alot of the people in this community, who have nothing better to do than viciously defend something, whilst having no positive input whatsoever.

I dont like 1.3, deal with it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care that you don't like 1.3. Alot of people don't like 1.3, get over yourself.

I don't like you, and don't bother dealing with it, just get off my forums and never come back. K thnx bai!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm fine with suggestions,

But weak comments like that are exactly whats wrong with alot of the people in this community, who have nothing better to do than viciously defend something, whilst having no positive input whatsoever.

Hey don't be so hard on yourself.

No need to call your comments weak and say how comments like that are whats wrong with esf. I know you are just whining and not giving any positive input at all but thats no reason to insult yourself so bad.

But since some people had to start picking fights and ruining it for everyone else this topic is closed.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After reading over and responding to a thread in one of the team sections, I decided to open this thread back up. Things were handled a bit immaturely on both sides, so you have my apologies for any offensive actions that were taken. I'd prefer if people didn't think that we're going to pull out a Gears of War chainsaw on them if they start talking about their negative 1.3 opinions. It is their opinion, and they are indeed entitled to it. Of course, while opinions are okay, we're not going to tolerate straight up bashing.

So with that said... Mountain Dewd, I'm going to re-respond to your posts.

Mountain Dewd said:
It is now, impossible to get across the entire level on a full tank of ki, dashing while fast, burns up FAR too much ki, can you imagine a heated battle in 1.3? half of it would just be re-charging, how is that anything like dbz?
Mountain Dewd said:
Its hard to come up with "solutions" considering that the dev team has their own plans, and most of my suggestions would be related to fixing issues in 1.23 melee.
I'm grouping both of these together because the reasoning behind this can be seen in our publicly released design documents. While we do keep some secrets on how we're going to implement smaller features, all of our main design documents are posted on the forums for everyone to see. The reason we decided to 'nerf' the swoop is because it only allows us to do basic 1.0 style simple melee. Imagine having CTF gameplay in ESF. First, since you can cover so much distance and move so fast, there is no possible way you could even begin to protect a structure or object. Furthermore, since you can literally do it all in one KI tank, you would never have to stop, just making things worse.

In the same aspect of melee, giving the player the ability to traverse the entire level in a matter of seconds means that there is no concept of 'close range' fighting. Just swooping inwards and smashing into your enemy (aka, simple melee). Sure, the fights are intense and fun, but we really want to go above and beyond that. We want to provide a close and personal melee experience while attempting to still provide the simplicity and fun of simple melee.

On the topic of things being dbz-ish too, since when does a DBZ character dash across an entire 'level'? In DBZ, dashing is always used for short range combat, and for further ranged things, they charge up and boost off.

In respects with dash taking too much KI, that will probably be tweaked. I fudged with the values myself, but they haven't been finely tuned yet.

Mountain Dewd said:
Dashing, which you are not able to cancel, feels extremely clumsy, because you dash a specific distance each time, which makes precise moves and angling, either much much harder, or impossible.

A system like this has really taken away alot of the freedom of movement 1.23 gave us
I agree, it's annoying that you can't even stop it, and it feels clumsy. I stated at the top of my suggestions thread that neither the team or beta testers are quite happy with dash. We're experimenting trying to find the best middle ground between charged turbo (swoop) and dash. We really want players to not be flying across the level every 2 seconds, since we think (if we get it right...) it'll be a lot more fun fighting face to face for more than 0.25 seconds, and not while locked in an arbitrary guessing system (aka, 1.2 melee). Either way, I'm pretty sure in the next build dash will be stoppable on command (just let go), along with quite a few other changes we decide to apply in the next team meeting.

Mountain Dewd said:
The charged turbo swoop feels rather useless, especially considering its slower than a dash, which makes no sense.
Charged turbo is mainly used for transportation purposes, or extreme power hits (not implemented yet though). Swoop is slower, but you can cover a lot more distance using a lot less KI, which is the entire point.

The basic idea is if you need to travel a far distance, you don't need to do it instantly. It's 'nice' to be able to do it on a drop of a dime, but it's only because we're all so spoiled from what beta 1.0 to 1.2.3 offered us. You may say - But what if the enemy is across the level? If you're playing call of duty 3 and the enemy is across the level, you just hop in a vehicle and drive over there. As far as I know, most games that let you travel over a far distance have a strong disconnect between long distance transportation and actual combat. There are exceptions (like vehicle combat), but that's just a different topic entirely, and usually stops at two huge entities shooting at each other until one dies.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once again, we're looking for constructive criticism, not a rant about your disappointment. Constructive, meaning the kind of posts that give the team something to try differently or specific reasons as to why you dislike something. If you want to pick fights with each other or post counter-productively prepare to be man handled.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
where exactly do I go to DL the open beta?

Best answers
About the swooping.. I cool and all taht, but it would be better if you could swoop for some longer time, so you don't always have to change direction again and again.

Best answers
I like how the swoop is. That is just me. The control of it. I like that I can see someone blocking. Do a side swoop. Turn around and hit them. I think that is what dbz is all about. Speed..but also great control.

I do agree it needs some tweaks. Like ki drainage..and maybe some speed. Overall I think the system works very well.

I think pretty much you cover what I was going to say.

Not being able to stop a turbo dash. Was a big one. You said something about powerhits. *Was thinking the same thing. Someone wants to block spam. Do a super dash at them*.

I do like one of the bugs tho. The beam eatting through people and not blowing up. If my pl is much higher. I like that my beams go through them. To bad it is listed as a bug.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought it was supposed to go through them, as if disintegrating your opponent o_O. Maybe the bug is something regarding the feature, and not the feature itself. I hope so, anyway.

Best answers
The biggest problem with 1.3 is that it favours beamspam so much that it makes me cry. Swooping has become really bad, and the movement is nothing like it used to be. And when swooping you are sure to be hit by a beam. So i deleted 1.3 shortly after the install. Not gonna test anymore untill it's done, then we will see if the movements are somewhere near playable, and if the team has stopped favouring beamspam.

Because we all know that the core of esf is the great melee system. Not the noobish beamspamming. And i don't think any of us would want a slower game now would we?

But for the positive: Beaming has become more fun, because the effects are better etc. But that's not the reason i play esf, so I'm hoping for some movement/melee improvements.

And about doing turbo charged swoop to reach an enemy on the other side of the map. Try a beamjump, doesnt require more than 0.5sec charge and you are there in the blink of an eye. Or just do swoop/fall untill you get there. Costs no ki and is pretty fast. So there wasnt any need for this.

Best answers
The biggest problem with 1.3 is that it favours beamspam so much that it makes me cry. Swooping has become really bad, and the movement is nothing like it used to be. And when swooping you are sure to be hit by a beam. So i deleted 1.3 shortly after the install. Not gonna test anymore untill it's done, then we will see if the movements are somewhere near playable, and if the team has stopped favouring beamspam.

Because we all know that the core of esf is the great melee system. Not the noobish beamspamming. And i don't think any of us would want a slower game now would we?
You know..I am not even a tester anymore and reading something like this still gets under my skin. Beams is apart of the game as well. In fact many people enjoy the power of it. Sure melee is fun. Yet that is still half of the game. A good fighter is great with melee. Yet a master can mix beams and melee. To whine about beams is just silly. Also the fact that you uninstall a test version of esf because of gameplay issues...*Bites his tongue*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love how people complain about this or that when it's just an incomplete build of the final product.

People don't realize that right now, some things are the way they are, because of future implementations. Such as Swoop and Dash. These are interlinked with the new Melee system, but because people are too damn lazy to go and actually read the design documents and instead just assume things, they don't know about it and complain about how the game sucks and how it's unbalanced.

Best answers
Now beams might be a part of the game, and it's the noobish part.

Most of the good players are the ones who actually still play this game, untill a few days ago when newbs came back to test. I doubt the good players would want a day at beamspammers paradise(aka. slow and no-skill gameplay).
Noob friendly is good at some point, but the noobfriendly should stop at a point. In my opinion it should take a LOT of effort to become very good at a game (not something thats achieved in a month).

And about the low fps: How can it be that good machines can lose so much power in 1.3... Hello everybody this is a HL1 mod, not HL2... It's impossible to be such an fps eater.

Best answers
I love how people complain about this or that when it's just an incomplete build of the final product.

People don't realize that right now, some things are the way they are, because of future implementations. Such as Swoop and Dash. These are interlinked with the new Melee system, but because people are too damn lazy to go and actually read the design documents and instead just assume things, they don't know about it and complain about how the game sucks and how it's unbalanced.
Just want to note that the players were actually asked to give response to the beta. The wrong thing about this forum is whenever something is not 100% positive, the person who said something negative will be killed by the devs and mods in a matter of seconds. If you can't handle the criticism don't ask for it.

Isn't it natural for the fans who have waited 2.5 years to download the game and play it themselves before they start reading design documents? In my world it is.

ps. Sorry about the double post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom