1.2 beams

Best answers
Nope. I get that "X" in 3rd person all the time. Tried changing the beam qualities too :S
Whatever it is, wasn't in 1.0 but is in 1.1

Best answers
The beams r fine its the ball on the beams they r small in the cartoon theres a big ball on end of beam .If beams r the same in 1.2 some one can just make better sprit im trying to make sprits my my sprits suck i will get better.

Best answers
i dont see no x in 3rd person view or the other view my beams are sweet and all and not even customized

Best answers
I always see the x in the middle of the beams when you fire them in first person and third person. It would be awsome if they could fix that and also fix how the beams move down when in a block struggle and a power struggle.

Best answers
As to jump on the band wagon. I also see the X, though I don't think it exactly looks bad. If you looks carefully its like four seperate beams intersecting into one so it gives off the illusion that the beam is larger at the base. Except of course for the end.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You guys use direct 3d mode or something?

-Karrde-

Best answers
Karrde it doesn't depend on the mode your using cause i am running OpenGL thirdperson mode but the beams still suck its a 1.1 bug and not only the X but some other things as well, ill post a picture.

Best answers
cmmoon.. is it that hard? the beam isnt a 3d object, but to make the illusion it is, they put 2 sprites together like the x u see.. so the "thickness" wouldnt change if you turn around the beam. the problem is, you look at the beginning of the beam, where the beamsprites are chopped off.. thats the x you see... well.. if you dont understand, ill try to draw it..
hmmf.. hard to explain it in english..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
erm, i think its youre vid card screwing you for some reason, i mean whats up with youre hud?
are those artifacts or what?

Best answers
since esf users sprites for the beams, the sprite isonly 2d (if you look at the sprite in a sprite viewer u will see wot i mean)
so the beam in game would look like this "/" so for the beam to well loo like a beam it would have to be mirrod so it would look like this "X" <- so you see the gaps between the lines (like down the side on the topand bottem etc) they are filled with a glow,so the only reason you are seeing this "X" is because of the angle you move at, you dont see it in 3rd person that much but in first you see it the most becaus it goes around your cross hair...

also i think they changed the beam in 1.1 because of beam jumping/bouncing etc, i dont no if this has any thing to do with it.

well every thing i have typed is wot i can think of and wot i beleave causes this "X" (sowy if am wrong and if this post was worth nothing and should be burnt ^_^)

Best answers
Could be me ol nightmare.
I do remember there being an explanation for it a while back on a site...think it was a team members site.

It's not my graphics card (geforce 4600 ti 128mb)
It's not my settings (tried direct 3d and open gl)
It might be the angle. Even though i use thirdperson , you still get tricky angles which oftern show the X.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember in 1.0 all you saw was a rounded beam. A few people quit spriteing for ESF when in 1.1 the beams went to the ****z and showed that stupid X. If I could find some pictures I could show you the awesomeness of the 1.0 NON-X BEAMS.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just frow SBC and u'll see that X becouse its made from 2 images/sprites and if u make that X look like * star u will have better quality beams becouse more pics better in game•.•

Best answers
The beams in 1.1 and 1.0 are almost exactly the same. For guided attacks, the X should be covered up by the beamhead and beamstart. The reasons you might see more X's in 1.1 are:
- The sbc is drawn with our custom beam system in 1.1 and has no beamstart yet
- 1.1 introduces beams for projectile attacks, which don't have beamstarts either
We're looking into fixing these problems for later releases.

Best answers
i never seen that x before. maybe its because its a graphic drivers problem on your part?

Best answers
Ive never seen the X either. The beams look really nice though.

Imagine if the ESF team didn't publisize (spelling?)that they uploaded 1.2, they just casually slipped in a post about it indirectly in a thread. lol. Sorry for going off topic.

Best answers
hey i think i have esf 1.2 explosions i downloaded from esforces.com/team/zero/ and theres lots of explosions but i never tested them out

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, it's true, it happens to too many people to be a video card problem, unless we all have the same video card. I'm not sure if there ever was comfirmation from a teammember that the beam trail is an X, but it looks allright to me. I don't really see a better way of rendering a beam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom