1 2 3 4 I love the Marine Corps.

Best answers
Hey everybody, this is fatmanterror clearly. I used to be pretty active on these forums back in highschool. God, 2001 seems like it was centuries ago. Anywhoo the reason I have been gone since then is that I got involved with the Marine Corps and I'm now proud to say I'm in the officer candidate program.

So that's a little background on me, this question is directed towards the foreign guys more than anybody. How do you guys view the armed service members, particularly the ground combat branches like the Army and Marines? It's just something I've been wondering and since I'm A) A Marine B) About to be an officer, if you have issues or concerns I'm probably your man to address them to.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Congrats fatmanterror. It's good to see you! I thank you for service to our country.

Best answers
Good to hear from you too man! I've been curious about this for a while because it seems all the people living outside (and indeed the kids i meet at college) think the military is full of orc-like monsters who eat babies and crap grenades. I can tell you thats certainly not my experience and I have a theory that where they accuse us of being brainwashed, they have succumbed to their cultures brainwashing that we like being in a war.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Talk about a blast from the past! Long time, no see, man.

It's good to hear that you've been keeping busy and, indeed, pursued quite the honorable profession. Congratulations on getting into the officer candidate program (with the Marines, no less).

I hope all else is well. We don't get many people popping by from the pre-beta days, heh.

Best answers
Yeah it has sucked a lot. I went through enlisted boot camp which was pretty much the worst 3 months of my life and this summer I have to go to OCS which is officer boot camp. They tell me its even worse because the Drill Instructors who are still enlisted men know that they are essentially training their future bosses so they take it out on us a lot worse.
I would go so far as to say without exaggerating that the thought of repeating boot camp is worse than deployment. So in a few weeks I'll be gone again but until then, its pretty nostalgic for me to hear from all you guys!

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Omg I remember you

Good luck getting through boot camp again.

Personally I think that people who go into the armed forces for the right reason. (ie Wanting to protect their country. Rather then the bad reasons. ie, Revenge on terrorists, Glory, Just getting to "Shoot some ****") are out the with a noble purpose and doing the right thing.

My brother in law used to be in the army (he hated it) and he's a nice guy. But then Aussies have a different view of their army then the americans do of their Marines

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yo fatman. Good to see ya moving up in the world :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey man, welcome back! I remember you, even. :p

I think US troops are pretty cool. They're well-trained, well-armed, and well-disciplined.

Best answers
Deverz- I agree. Legacy Officers I have met (their dad was a Colonel, his dad was etc.) have proven to be hard to deal with and detached from reality. They are the glory seekers who may not be in it for the right reasons(some are grade-A officers but not many) Sadly my officer candidate platoon is going to have several. On defending the nation I think most of the Marines I know start off for that reason, the revenge seeking marines are usually the retarded hill billy types and they end up being field maintenance(dig poop holes) cooks or fork lift operators. But after a while we all realize this particular war is not about national defense...I wont go into it anymore but we end up being there for each other.

Karrde- Good to hear from you too man, how have you been doin?

Shiyojin- Did you used to have a different name? I cant seem to recall talking to you before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom