Light-Wave?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, my dad has gaven me a copy of Light-Wave. I haven't heard it before, so can anyone give me a brief and their opionion before I start installing it.

Best answers
light wave its a modelling program. It comes with an animation program and the modling one. thats wha t can tell u.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Theres a sticky about it, posted by Eclipse in this section...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its a really decent program. Its up there with some of the best I think... I dont tihnk its better than max though heh.

Tryforce uses it :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lightwave is sexy ^_^. Back a couple of years ago, I did some low poly stuff with it. Seems easy to use for me, and you also have Eclipses tutorial to help you learn :O.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I wasn't looking for a tutorial, I was looking for opinions about it before I install but thanks anyways. =P

Best answers
Well Lightwave is a very powerful modelling/animating/rendering program. It has a very user-friendly interface and is easy to use and straight to the point.

Cruzharo said:
Its a really decent program. Its up there with some of the best I think... I dont tihnk its better than max though heh.

Tryforce uses it :p
I don’t think you can compare it like that, max just happens to be a popular application so that doesn’t mean it’s better or worse than all the others namely cinema 4d, rhino3d Lightwave, Maya, XSI Softimage…and so on. They all have they pro’s and contra’s. But Lightwave V8 is definitely on the top when it comes to animations and their dynamics fx.

But as a modeller that models once in a while some stuff for some mods or so I don't think it's really useful to really go compare such huge 3d apps. There are just a “few” here that really use the advanced tools of their 3d app for some professional benefits but most of the modellers here just model some low poly stuff to get it in games without using it in a huge cgi movie. :p

So in the end no matter what you choose, it’ll do fine after some practise with it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I've installing it, but what the hell is a Dongle? It says it can't run it without it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
..what version do you have?

Best answers
OK in response to several questions about Lightwave:

The Dongle:

A Dongle is a usb device that looks like a jump drive, it contains serial numbers and such that the program accesses. You can use Lightwave without a dongle, but you can only save a model up to 400 points. There are dongle emulators out there, I happen to have several for the different versions.

Lightwave:

Lightwave is a professional 3d graphics program used by Pixar and Industrial Light and Magic (George Lucas's animation and effects firm) among many other large and small studios. It is a great program with many more options than 3dsmax.

This is how I would relate the 2:

3dsMax : Appleworks of 3d apps, has a button for everything, not really used so much on a professional level other than for amateur companies/animators and some game studios (although most use Maya or Lightwave)

Lightwave : Probably one of the top, if not best, 3d programs. They are soon to release the 64-bit version of their program (the first program to ever go 64-bit), it already has a stupendous rendering engine.

Personal view: I prefer Lightwave overall due to the fact it has the best modeling program (IMO), it is easy to use, it has a great community constantly coming up with plugins and engine mods, and can import just about any file type available in terms of 3d modelers (which is good because 3dsMax is so cheap models are abundant for it).

Best answers
i use lightwave, its a very nice program :), i make all of my gundams in it, i find it easier then max

Best answers
Hmm..

In Lightwave can you strip model? (Edge extrusion)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<_< you can do almost everything there...

btw. i had the kakashi from reck. and i just pushed on one tool... and wam... from 4,5k tris he had then 3,9k tris

<_< i gues 3dsm cant do that :D and lwo got many other easy tools..."many"

Best answers
Blah, the thing that would confuse me is the interface, its completely different from max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom