Capturing images from video

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This might seem like a really noobish question but what the hell:

Is there a good way of capturing still images (.bmp or .jpg) from videos (.avi, .mpg and .ogg/.ogm)? I have two methods but they're both deeply flawed.

Using Window Media Player:

Turning video acceleration off and using the Print Screen button, then pasting into MSPaint and saving it as .bmp or .jpg. The disadvantage is that the quality is lowered and the framerate drops, which is irritating if there's just one frame I need to capture and it skips it. Also has the nasty habit of throwing me a random black screen (there's a 4/5 chance this will happen) when I paste from a .ogg/.ogm or DVD, the two best formats.

Using Windows Movie Maker:

Importing a video and using the Screen Capture tool, then saving as a .jpg. The disadvantage is that importing a video takes upwards of about 2 minutes and you have to import the whole video for one .jpg. Not only that, WMM is known for its instability and frequently crashes for no good reason.

Basically i'm just looking for a program that I can run all kinds of video file types through that has a screen capture feature built in that doesn't require turning of video acceleration. Thanks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use vlc or Zoom player. Prints screen and paste into Photoshop.

Or, decent way and fast, use fraps to capture images just by press of a button and save em all to a folder...

Get fraps.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried VLC media player and it had the same problem as my WMP method.

But Fraps worked great! Saves every screenshot in full quality, full resolution in .bmp, even for .ogg/ogm, and I don't have to bother with pasting. You rule, teh thanks :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom