Unable to defragment 4 BIG files! Help!

Best answers
I have been trying to defragment this 4 files that they said it is unable to defragment. I have tried many ways to defragment, in safemode, finding information on websites, reading the whole steam forum and setting virtual memory to auto.

And I am still unable to defragment this 4 files. I did experience a slight performance boost while playing counterstrike - source after the defragment but the report shows that I am unable to defragment this 4 files, 2 files related to steam. Maybe if I finally sucessfully defragment this 2 files, there will be more performance boost to my gameplay. I haven't have this problem before until yesterday night. Here is a screenshot for your reference. Please help!

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Best answers
I will try the demo afterwards when I got the time. So what is the difference between this program and windows defragmenter? They are both still defragmentation programs and still defrags the drive C on my PC.

Exactly what might be causing the program unable to defragment the 4 files using windows defragment program?

DJ-ready, did you bought the full version of the defrag tool you recommended?

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
erm .. yes .. i "bought" it >_>

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Kill system restore. Defrag, then turn it back on. Make sure you don't need to turn anything back before you do so. It may fix your non-defrag problem for the two system restore archives. Be sure to make a backup point before you finish.

As for the two steam files, I can't imagine why it can't defrag them.

Best answers
I just tried the perfect disk recommended by DJ-ready. That defragmentation was hell long! It took like 7hours to complete!

Windows defrag was a little faster but whenever it reaches 30% its complete. So what exactly are the differences between windows defrag and perfectdisk or other kind of defragmentation programs? They both function in the same way right?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Kill system restore. Defrag, then turn it back on. Make sure you don't need to turn anything back before you do so. It may fix your non-defrag problem for the two system restore archives. Be sure to make a backup point before you finish.

As for the two steam files, I can't imagine why it can't defrag them.
Because they're in use? We can't see what's hiding behind his tray D:

Steam locks the GCF files when it's running.

Best answers
Nope, I tried the defragment on *safe-mode*.

I did experience a performance boost after that 7 hours defrag with perfectdisk 7.0. So exactly when do I have to defragment again?

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Mh, this sounds interesting, I think I'll try that free eval of PerfectDisk, you never know. Hell, if DJ uses it, it HAS to be good! :yes:

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
oh well, defragmentation isnt THAT important anymore nowadays though, hdds get faster and clusters arent as big anymore as they were on FAT32 (pretending you use NTFS)
but a defrag once in a month cant hurt ^^

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Exactly, and that's why, when I finally DO defragment, I want it done RIGHT. ^^ Thanks for the tip, I'll give PerfectDisk a test-drive.

Best answers
Maybe the files are unmovable. Also you should un-install kazaa its loaded with adware in it causes tons of problems too.

Best answers
Kasey said:
Maybe the files are unmovable. Also you should un-install kazaa its loaded with adware in it causes tons of problems too.
That kazaa has been on my pc for 2 years and I haven't seen any adware in it. Besides defragment, I also use the spybot s&d.

If perfectdisk 7.0 is that good, why not windows defrag? Like I said, they both function in the same way. Then what special features does perfectdisk have?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Just for clarification, does it say the files will NOT be moved, or does it say that they are UNMOVABLE?

(and kazaa lite k++ was the version without spyware, normal kazaa packed it like whoa)

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
DracoHeart said:
If perfectdisk 7.0 is that good, why not windows defrag? Like I said, they both function in the same way. Then what special features does perfectdisk have?
I'd like to know that too, actually.

Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
I'd like to know that too, actually.
Dragonheart said:
Originally Posted by DracoHeart

DJ might have the answer to this question. We will have to wait for his reply.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
and kazaa lite k++ was the version without spyware
No. Honestly Kazaa wouldn't concern me. It'd be the shortcut to Daemon Tools on there, which is notoriously viral with some of the worst viruses I ever dealt with.

Disabling system restore and completing your defrag should do the trick. But also could we see the full error message, I.E. it could be telling you it's just not going to move those files and there may be nothing wrong. Defragmenting really concerns empty gaps in the drive left over after things have been deleted...those are two sets of files that would probably be running when you ran the defrag (steam and system restore). Defragging is safe mode should have avoided that problem, though.

I wouldn't even worry too much about it, honestly. They are files that it won't defrag--what are you really missing out on anyhow? I thought it only defragged the empty areas where files used to be...by that logic, is this even an issue? I wish I could help more but I don't defrag often, I have a massive external drive that I install everything to and everything stays pretty clean for me.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
No. Honestly Kazaa wouldn't concern me. It'd be the shortcut to Daemon Tools on there, which is notoriously viral with some of the worst viruses I ever dealt with.
Care to elaborate? How about some links to anti-virus sites describing these viruses, and mentioning their installation medium (Daemon Tools as you claim).

I have lots of friends who use Daemon Tools and I'm sure they'd love to know about them. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: <-- 3 for excessive sarcasm

Now that false accusations are out of the way, let's get back to business.

I.E. it could be telling you it's just not going to move those files and there may be nothing wrong
I already asked him that, but he didn't reply. I'm assuming that's what the "issue" is.

If one of those third-party defragmentation programs refuses to move them as well, we can assume he misread the summary on the Windows Defragmenter. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom