DOCSIS?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hi. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post. If it isn't please move it.

But I recently signed up for Comcast high speed internet and they are coming to my house on tuesday. And I signed up through Best Buy. Now all over everything I got; The print out they gave me, the Motorola SURFboard box, etc. It says "DOCSIS" and somewhere (I can't find it right now) It says to ask my high speed internet provider if they support it. Well I was wondering what it was. And if it's any good. Thanks for your help.

Best answers
What said DOCSIS? Motorolla Surfboard is good. I have one but I don't use it cause we have a different modem now but it was fast.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Erm. I've had this SURFboard before, when I had Cox. (the high speed internet)

DOCSIS- I don't know that's why I'm asking. It says on the surfboard box: "...DOCSIS is a registered trademard of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc...."

on the printout "... backward compatible with DOCSIS 1.1/1.0 standars. DOCSIS 2.0 CableLabs-certified to ensure compatiblity with DOCSIS cable providers"

Best answers
The CableLabs® Certified™ Cable Modem project, also known as DOCSIS® (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification), defines interface requirements for cable modems involved in high-speed data distribution over cable television system networks (see PowerPoint slide show). The certified cable modem project also provides cable modem equipment suppliers with a fast, market-oriented method for attaining cable industry acknowledgment of DOCSIS compliance and has resulted in high-speed modems being certified for retail sale.

MSOs and CableLabs require interoperability among DOCSIS modems. While no CableLabs member company will be required to purchase DOCSIS modems, we expect the majority of modems purchased will be DOCSIS certified. MSOs and CableLabs require vendors seeking product certification to work with other vendors and CableLabs as part of the hot-staging for interoperability venues. Please refer to the links below to learn more about this certification process.

Benefits to cable operators/consumers:

* Cable operators can provide a variety of high-value services through an “always-on” internet connection, including broadband Internet connectivity, telephony, real-time interactive gaming, and video conferencing. DOCSIS products are standards-based, so manufacturers can provide enhanced features at competitive prices.
* Consumers have a low-cost way to get a broadband connection to the Internet so that they can take advantage of the tremendous potential of the web without investing a lot of time or money.

CableLabs is a research consortium; we do not market or sell cable modems.

For more information, please see our project primer, or our press release archives.

To find out if cable modem service is available in your area, please fill out and submit the CableLabs Go2Broadband Service Locator form.http://www.cablemodem.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom