RAM compatibility

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im looking to upgrade the RAM and GPU of the old computer I sold to my sister (Ive moved out and dont need it). If I know what motherboard Ive got (which I dont ATM) where can I check to see what RAM will be compatible with it?

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Google Everest, download Lavalys Everest Home Edition. Open it up, under Motherboard and then SPD, pick one of your current RAM sticks. Look by Memory Type and there you go. As far as speed goes, it's not a matter of whether or not your motherboard supports it, really. It's a matter of, if you want to add it to current RAM, whether or not your current speed is too slow for your new RAM. If that is so, then all your RAM will be underclocked to the lowest RAM speed inbetween your sticks.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great, thanks a bunch!

So if it says "DDR SDRAM," any DDR will work with my motherboard? I had a thought, I get new RAM for my computer and my sister gets to buy the hand-me-downs. Same for the GPU.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Great, thanks a bunch!

So if it says "DDR SDRAM," any DDR will work with my motherboard? I had a thought, I get new RAM for my computer and my sister gets to buy the hand-me-downs. Same for the GPU.
If you would give your motherboard type, I could point out which ram would be best >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, any DDR Ram will work in your motherboard. Whether or not it'll work at its designated speed is another.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Im going to get another pair of 512MB chips at 400 MHz to accompany the pair of 256MB chips I have now. I read a good guide that explains what all the different types of RAM are and how to install them. I also used Everest to find the RAM that would match with my motherboard and Im looking at RAM prices on Ebay. Thanks for the help, guys.

Everest says my motherboard is a Dell Dimension 8300 (which would make sense, I have a Dimension 8300).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom