Wireless internet

Best answers
Okay, I want wireless internet throughout my house but I have Highspeed Dial-up (netzero high speed 3G) and all of the routers that i have seen dont support RJ-11, phone cable, whatever you want to call it. So does anyone know of a Wireless router that supports phone cable?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, I've never really thought about this. =o

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a 56k router, especially one that broadcasts a wireless signal. As far as I know, they don't exist.

If they do, you'd need to have an external 56k modem which recieves the line-in (WAN), then that feeds the signal to your router, which forwards it to other computers via wireless or wired cables.

And why do you want wireless? If it's for desktop PCs in a home network, I'd really recommend against it. IMO, it's barely worth it for a laptop in a home network. I had a wireless network running through my house for about half a year, and just got rid of it. I'm glad I did. I had to cover the antenna of the wireless computer with tin-foil just to connect to the router that was less than 20 feet away (yes, it was a floor below, but even counting that as 2x the distance because of it as they say you should, it was well within the range the router and PCI adapter boasted).

Plus, if it were possible, I could see your dialup running even slower than dialup (yes, it's possible!). The so called versions of "accelerated dialup" aren't "accelerated" at all. It's impossible to actually increase the bandwidth and speed of dialup, all they do is compress images so they're downloaded faster.

Best answers
Thats what I figured, And have you checked out Netzero Highspeed 3G? it hits speeds around 255kbps, so it isn't one of those **** ISP with the "accelerators" it actually works (from what I heard), not to be rude in anyway. back on topic, Do you think that I could hook up wireless phone jacks and range extenders around the house instead of wireless internet?

Oh I have one more Idea, please bare with me though as it may sound confusing.

Okay what if i connect the phone line to a router then connect a wireless router the ethernet router then hook up a wireless adapter to the computer that I want wireless internet on?

Best answers
Heres an Idea instead of buying a router for your modem connection look into real high speed providers. I'm not sure how it will be where you live but where I live you get a 50% discount if you provide your own hardware since that 50% is rental fees for their hardware...So I get away with highspeed internet for 25 bucks a month.

edit:

If you just have to have it this way though you will need a bit of computer know how. Just google "home networking" and you will find a number of different lay outs with instructions.

Its been a long time since I've done something like this so I could be wrong, but I believe the most likely solution though is:

Phone--->Main pc(becomes provider)--->wireless router--->various PC's

You'd have to look up more info I'm going off memory here and I wouldn't depend on that if I were you.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
You can use an access point instead of a router if you're using a pc to run the connection. Should be cheaper then too (but can you trust a windows boxen connected directly to the internet? I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it)

Best answers
Oh yeah, forgot about wireless networking. I'll get that, but since i'm using it to use dial up should I waste my money on an 802.11a or g network or should I get 802.11b?

And how do i connect the router to the computer? do I just connect one end of a CAT 5 cable to the ethernet port on the computer and connect the other end to the port on the router that would normally take in the high speed internet?

Oh and sorry for the large sig, :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom