Video Cards

DMW

Best answers
Im looking to buy a video card,what card should i get though cuz there are so many.Im looking for somthing made by radeon or nvidia,but i need somthing that will at least support pixel shading.on the site i have been browsing but im not exactly sure.So can someone help me out?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Try telling us your budget for starters, the type of card you're after is also helpful (do you need AGP, PCI or what?)

We aren't your mother, so we can't read your mind....

DMW

Best answers
Well sry I was a bit sleepy when i wrote that so forgive me,i have dont alot of researching and have decided to just buy an Alienware computer,the one i plan on saving for is around 5 thousand dallars,which will take alot of time to get,but i do plan on getting it cuz it says its the ultamate gaming pc.So thx for you now your planning on helping me.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
So by the time you an afford it, it will be old and outdated? hehe

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DMW said:
Well sry I was a bit sleepy when i wrote that so forgive me,i have dont alot of researching and have decided to just buy an Alienware computer,the one i plan on saving for is around 5 thousand dallars,which will take alot of time to get,but i do plan on getting it cuz it says its the ultamate gaming pc.So thx for you now your planning on helping me.
Wow, you're buying it because it says it's the "ultimate gaming pc"? Wow Thats a rip off. Custom PC with the best stuff is 2,000 dollars cheaper than the alienware.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Would you be open to my suggestion not to go with alienware? You should be able to get top of the line everything for much less than five thousand dollars. Alienware says it is the ultimate gaming PC, but thats just a marketing pitch, and you end up paying lots of money simply because it is alienware.

By the pricetag you mentioned, can I assume you are looking at the ALX model?

It comes with only 1G of DDR2 RAM, for that price I would expect 2G of DDR2 RAM. It comes with a 6800GT, which is nice, but certainly not top of the line. For five grand you should be getting a brand spanking new 7800. The features of this system are solid, and it would make for an incredible gaming experience, Im sure, but for five thousand dollars? No way.

If I were buying a new computer I would build it myself (I still regret going with Dell, 250W PSU my ass). This sounds a monumental task, and it surely is a large undertaking, but there are resources that can help. A simple Google search was very helpful in this matter. The internet is an incredible tool, and seeing as you have internet access, it is at your disposal. Try to find something not too old so it is still up to date and all. Ive found Tom's Hardware to be a good resource in the past, so check out their guide.

Newegg has been recommended to me, and its prices look quite resonable, so you can order components from there. I successfully upgraded my system just recently using parts from ebay, so that is another source to consider. Just be sure to do your research on each part before you buy it, and get a working model of what all youre going to get before you order so you know everything will be compatible. You can even use your old HD, if its still big enough, depending on your current power supply you could recycle that (350W should be fine), your network and sound cards could be reuseable, but dont quote me on that, monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers can be kept, and DVD/CD/floppy drives dont go bad either. If everything can fit in your current case, you could simply gut your computer and put in a new motherboard, CPU, graphics card, RAM and perhaps HD/power supply/DVD.

Definitely do your own research on the matter though, as I simply checked into the matter for a system upgrade, new RAM and GPU. Building your own computer will save you thousands of dollars (feel free to give me some of that being as I saved you from the horrors of Alienware, along with a couple others here ;) ) and you can pick out exactly what you want. Dont like Intel, fine go AMD, the choice is yours. Just get 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, your computer will be good longer. Now, if only you could build custom cars...

Best of luck, Ive got to let my keyboard cool off! Feel free to send me a PM if youve got any questions or anything.

Best answers
Yeah, building your own computer isn't that hard, the task sounds horribly tough it is actually quite easy. All you have to do is lookout for static discharge make sure that the parts you get would work with eachother (both are a nightmare if you dont do it right) And actually knowing what you are doing would help. I built mine and it doesn't work yet but that is only because I dont have A copy of windows XP Home Edition and my old hard drive decided to die on me due to static (see, static could get you in the long run) Just make sure you have a static discharge wristband and you should be fine and they are only about 7 bucks.

DMW

Best answers
Well thanks for all your help guys,ill look into building my own computer,i gotta read up on some of the state of the art stuff though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom