Sound Card question

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
my new computer has a problem my old computer didn't have. Sound Volume.

On my old computer, if I cranked up the sound, the music blasted the house. It was too loud to stand.

My new computer, however, has some volume issues. When everything is cranked to the max (volume control, media player volume, ect), I only get an average volume. I'm looking to be able to crank it up loud, but its not doing it.

So that brings me to sound cards. Is it the sound card I have thats reducing the sound volume I can get? Because if so, I can easilly get a better one for a louder sound. If it has nothing to do with sound cards, then what do you suggest I do?

Best answers
Two types of volume, from your soundcard (software, little icon lower right) and your speakers (hardware).

For me, an AC97 user, the software thingy consists of two things; Master and Wave. Both affect eachother (or are sort of the same). I don't know what kind of card you have (I have onboard, lol), but I doubt it's that much different.

I also don't know if you know this already, but it's worth a look tho I doubt you don't know where your speaker's volume knob is :p

You might also want to check if your speakers/headphone are connected properly if you haven't already.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kind of a n00b answer, but if you plug your speakers into your microphone socket you still get noise but it's lower than what it would be in the speaker socket. Make sure you haven't stuck it in the wrong hole :p

Also seeing as you'll have 2 speaker sockets now (one on the mobo and one on the soundcard) try switching the speaker jack between them and see if there's a change.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Trust me. I tried everything already. Thats why I'm asking if sound cards can actually help the volume get louder.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So you're asking if your sound can be cranked up louder if you're using a hardware soundcard, as opposed to onboard sound?

It might, it might not. I really don't think that's a particular feature of using a sound card, it just depends on your settings.

When I switched my old PC to Linux, I had to buy a sound card (the onboard sound I had wasn't supported by the kernel, oh noes!). When I crank up the sound on that box, it's no louder than it was when it had onboard sound.

I'm guessing you're just missing something, and don't see it. You'll kick yourself once you do.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do know that certain drivers can ramp up your volume quite a bit. When I softmodded my SB Live! to Audigy 2 ZS, I noticed a huge increase in volume from the ZS drivers.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I did a driver update and that didn't do anything. I looked at every sound setting I have and cranked up everything. Nothing seems to work. I'm out of ideas.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What sound card DO you have at the moment..?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, that is integrated... ;/. I'm thinking you may have your speakers settings wrong in the drivers. I know that even though I use headphones, in my Mixer settings (for creative cards), I have to use the 4 speaker setting for best quality and highest volume sound. Try checking in your settings to see if you can change that around. Not the window's advanced speaker settings, as in my experience, does nothing to the quality/volume.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Well, that is integrated... ;/. I'm thinking you may have your speakers settings wrong in the drivers. I know that even though I use headphones, in my Mixer settings (for creative cards), I have to use the 4 speaker setting for best quality and highest volume sound. Try checking in your settings to see if you can change that around. Not the window's advanced speaker settings, as in my experience, does nothing to the quality/volume.
I tried that already too. I can turn the volume up a little bit that way, but thats it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. But 1. I'm guessing your "new" computer has better hardware/software then your old one? Correct?

If so, have you tried looking on your old computer to see what settings you have them at? Do both computers have the same speakers? Same sound card? Same settings? Can you switch the sound cards and see if there is a difference? Did you switch the speakers? Etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom