blue screen of death

Best answers
Yeah I'm having a problem with my computer. It all started about a few days ago. I started the computer up and it said boot disk not found. So I shut it down and restarted it, disk check had to run so i let it go. It finished but it was frozen at the words "Journal check complete" or something like that. Thats where I got suspicious, but I let it stay at those words for about a half hour, then it said boot disk not found, again. so I started it up and skipped disk check because I knew it would freeze. I logged in and everything went okay. I immediately started up Ad-Aware and let that run, it found 72 ad-ware files or whatever they are called, it kept searching up to about 72,000 and then the blue screen came up, saying that a critical process has to be terminated, then it said at the bottom, dumping physical memory. So i restarted, logged in, and did that scan again, right before i got to 70,000 files searched in ad-aware, i stopped it, quarantined the bad files and deleted them, that when I downloaded spybot, search and destroy, it found 13 files infected with spyware, I deleted them. Thats when i thought I was okay. but every once in a while, the blue screen came up.

So my question is, do you think that any critical system files were deleted or anything and if so, can i find a program that I can download that will tell me if a file In windows or on my hard drive was deleted or not?

sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I were you i'd just do a reformat.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Switch to Linux. XD

Seriously though, when it told you "boot disk not found," did it say "non-system disk"? Make sure you were actually booting from the hard disk, and not inadvertently booting from the floppy or CD drive.

I'd be more concerned in searching for viruses than adware. If you're getting blue screens, you've got more serious problems. If you don't have a "real" virus scanner, use this. It's better than nothing.

I can't remember the directory Windows dumps its memory logs to, but if you find it and either really know what you're doing, or show them to someone who does, it might help you track down the problem.

Blue screens can be caused from a multitude of problems. Have you adjusted any of the hardware of the machine recently? Have you messed with any system options?

If I were you, I'd be backing up the contents of your drive(s) and be thinking about reformating. That's your best friend whenever Windows decides to go insane (which isn't a rarity). As long as it isn't a hardware problem, that'll give you a fresh, working install.

Best answers
reformatting is out of the question, 1 because I have no clue where the disks are, 2 I dont want to back up 4 gigs of data and 3 it is the family computer, I already ****ed up 2 other computers doing reformats because I dont know what the hell I was doing. I have symantec antivirus and it found nothing at all, these problems started before we got the internet, 2 days ago. So I think that something was deleted that shouldn't have been. thats why I was asking for an app that will tell me if something has been deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom