hmm...a GeForce6800LE....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
now before you all go "WTF is he smoking" just listen to my story.

The 6800LE is cheap. cheaper than the 6600GT. However, its performance isn't that great either. But...I found a tutorial that can have you make it perform like a 6800GT. Not QUITE like a GT...but kinda between 6800 and 6800GT. So after 10 minutes of overclocking and stuff, you've just saved a good $300 or so. However....this is where my questions come in seeing as I've never overclocked before, but this tutorial I found has step by step instructions with pictures so it seems easy. So here's the real questions...

First off, this is a PCIe card I plan to go for. Not AGP. Will that make a difference at all? I dunno if PCIe cards have a harder time than AGPs or anything.

Also, will there be any heating issues? I use normal cooling systems that came with the computer. Its a new computer though. I'll post my specs at the end.

And finally, if I attempt to overclock it, is there anything I should watch out for technically, such as anything becoming ruined in the hardware?

Specs:

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 processor 3200+

OS
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

System Board
MS-7145

System Memory
512MB DDR400 SDRAM 184-pin DIMM

Hard Drive
200GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA

DVD ±R/±RW Drive
16x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW Drive

Video
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Sound
Integrated 6 Channel AC'97 Audio CODEC

Modem
56K PCI Modem MDP 7800

LAN
Realtek Integrated 10/100 Ethernet RTL8100C Controller

Keyboard
Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse
2-Button PS/2 Scroll Mouse

Warranty
1 Year Carry-In Warranty

Firewire
Via VT6307L IEEE 1394 Firewire Controller

Memory Card Reader
7-in-1 Media Card Reader

oh. I upgraded my power supply from a 350 to a 400 as well.

Best answers
logan, your computer specs are fine, you might want to add another 1/2 gig of memory, but other than that your fine. Now, when you overclock your video card you will be boosting performance and all but heat will become an issue so you might want a new GPU fan. PCI express is better in my opinion because it is faster than AGP 8X but the downside of PCIe is that you need a psu with a 24 pin connector to the mobo, If you dont have that dont panic. Newegg has an adapter that could convert a standard 20 pin adapter to a 24 pin, thats what I did with my computer. If your going PCIe you have to make sure that you have the mobo with a pci express x16 slot (which Im pretty sure that you do). An I never overclocked a video card but this is common sense, when you do overclock it, do it in small increments, not large ones because it may become unstable or overheat (or both O_O ).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
logan, your computer specs are fine, you might want to add another 1/2 gig of memory, but other than that your fine. Now, when you overclock your video card you will be boosting performance and all but heat will become an issue so you might want a new GPU fan. PCI express is better in my opinion because it is faster than AGP 8X but the downside of PCIe is that you need a psu with a 24 pin connector to the mobo, If you dont have that dont panic. Newegg has an adapter that could convert a standard 20 pin adapter to a 24 pin, thats what I did with my computer. If your going PCIe you have to make sure that you have the mobo with a pci express x16 slot (which Im pretty sure that you do). An I never overclocked a video card but this is common sense, when you do overclock it, do it in small increments, not large ones because it may become unstable or overheat (or both O_O ).
hmmm...ok. So heating IS an issue. that was my biggest concern. I'll read up on this a little more then. if anyone else has anything to say, feel free.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe the PCI-E version is a different core and can't be unlocked. It's only the AGP varients that can be. Oh, and I'd definitely go for at least 1GB of memory. I didn't know there was a PCI-E 6800LE. Got a link?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
I believe the PCI-E version is a different core and can't be unlocked. It's only the AGP varients that can be. Oh, and I'd definitely go for at least 1GB of memory. I didn't know there was a PCI-E 6800LE. Got a link?
By george you're right! there IS no PCIe LE card.

well...this topic can be closed now. No sense keeping it up considering nothing else can be said >.>

well....THIS card is on sale so I'll just get this one.

Okie dokie then >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom