Need some comparison details... If anyone knows

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really envy my friend =/ hese got a 6800 GT OC with over 1gb of ram, hese recently baught himself a Sound Blaster Audigy as well, when I was playing HL2 single player with his new speakers and his new sound card blasted... Man HL2 pwnz with Surround Sound... Anyway...

My current system specs:

2.53ghz Pentium 4
512mb SDRAM
64mb GeForce 4 MX420

Im only thinking about upgrading the video card for now, im a cheapskate, I got a louzy job, and I upgrade my comp like once every 3-4yrs (I wish a new video card was released every 5yrs... I really hate upgrading every fricken year, which is why im starting to lean more towards consoles now even when it comes to First Person Shooters).

Anyway, enough of that, time to get down to the point. I've been thinking of buying a GeForce 6200 (Verto), can anyone give me comparisons between that and a 6800? And also if its a DX9 card and whatnot? I think its time I came back to the HL Community... Its been 2years or so now.

I wanna know cause if there is a major diffrence between the two, I'll go for that 6800 I guess... but if the diffrence isn't worlds apart im just getting the 6200 to get it over with.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A little advice... go with ATI.

The 6200 is the lower end version of that generation, I would avoid it at all cost. Heres how you card stacks with the 6800.

This is for SLI (edit: duhh) though, so Im not exactly sure how the AGP version compares, but its probably similar. I think youd be better off getting an ATI 9800, or nVid 6600, because that 6200 is just bad. Id recommend the 9800 though, it can out muscle the 6600 in most cases.

Thats what I have and I got it for $150 CDN on eBay, but you could probably get one for about $120 if you looked and were patient.

More RAM would really help your game performance too. At least another 512 MB.

Best answers
GeForce 6 Series GPUs Features Comparison:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="500"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="tborder"> <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td class="theader">Feature</td> <td class="theader"><nobr>GeForce 6800</nobr>
Models
</td> <td class="theader"><nobr>GeForce 6600</nobr>
Models
</td> <td class="theader"><nobr>GeForce 6200</nobr>
Models
</td> <td class="theader"><nobr>GeForce 6200</nobr>
w/Turbocache
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0</td> <td class="trow1">SM 3.0</td> <td class="trow1">SM 3.0</td> <td class="trow1">SM 3.0</td> <td class="trow1">SM 3.0</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">Graphics Bus Technology</td> <td class="trow1">AGP 8X/PCI Express</td> <td class="trow1">AGP 8X/PCI Express</td> <td class="trow1">AGP 8X/PCI Express</td> <td class="trow1">PCI Express</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">NVIDIA® Intellisample™ Technology</td> <td class="trow1">3.0</td> <td class="trow1">3.0</td> <td class="trow1">3.0<sup>1</sup></td> <td class="trow1">3.0<sup>1</sup></td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">NVIDIA® SLI™ Technology</td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>2</sup></td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>2</sup></td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Technology</td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>3</sup></td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>3</sup></td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>3</sup></td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>3</sup></td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">NVIDIA® TurboCache™ Technology</td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td> <td class="trow1">X<sup>4</sup></td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">64-bit Texture Filtering and Bending</td> <td class="trow1">X</td> <td class="trow1">X</td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td> <td class="trow1">n/a</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">Effective Memory Interface</td> <td class="trow1">256-bit</td> <td class="trow1">128-bit</td> <td class="trow1">128-bit</td> <td class="trow1">128/64-bit</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">Memory</td> <td class="trow1">GDDR3<sup>5</sup> and DDR</td> <td class="trow1">GDDR3<sup>5</sup> and DDR</td> <td class="trow1">DDR</td> <td class="trow1">DDR</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">Process</td> <td class="trow1">0.13 micron</td> <td class="trow1">0.11 micron</td> <td class="trow1">0.11 micron</td> <td class="trow1">0.11 micron</td></tr> <tr> <td class="trow1">RAMDACs</td> <td class="trow1">400 MHz</td> <td class="trow1">400 MHz</td> <td class="trow1">400 MHz</td> <td class="trow1">400 MHz</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody> </table>
1. GeForce 6200 models do not include compression technology.
2. NVIDIA SLI: Available on SLI-certified versions of GeForce 6800 Ultra, 6800 GT, 6800, 6800 LE, and 6600 GT PCI Express GPUs only.
3. Features may vary by product. Some features may require additional software.
4. Available on select GeForce 6200 models only.
5. GDDR3 - GeForce 6800 Ultra, 6800 GT, and 6600 GT only.

Im using the 6800 and it works good, my advice spend extra and get the 6800

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wqell if you get a 6200 revision before nv44a, you can tinker with them and turn it into a 6600. However, just find a normal 6800 or a 6600gt to stick in there (normal 6800 if you feel up to doing some pipe modding), also might be an idea to buy another 512mb stick of ram.

[edit]
You got to be kidding me, your'e using sd memory ? in that case get a new board that supports ddr (or you may of just forgotten to state it was ddr sd ram).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, my badd, its DDR SDRAM Memmory, lol.

Thanks for the information. I think I may as well just get that same card my friend got... which means saving up more doe... Im a cheap skate =/ lol

Meh, if only I could make things appear w/ a snap of a finger... Oh well. Also I have had this comp for a long time and i've yet to open it up to see how many slots I got inside and whatnot... Not even sure if I have PCI Express cards. I got this comp around 2002 or 2003. Oh well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not even sure if I have PCI Express cards. I got this comp around 2002 or 2003. Oh well.
Ya, my bad. I said PCI instead of SLI. Stupid acronyms. Your computer will likely have an AGP interface, so yeah.

And get a better job.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
frsrblch said:
A little advice... go with ATI.
Let's DONT.

My advice is, get more money.

Save some more, get about 800 dollars, then you can get a good system that will last for quiet a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom