X-Fi, future of audio?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Creative are bringing out a new technology for their soundcards called X-Fi, which promises to give a full surround sound experience without surround sound speakers. You can have it on 2.1 speakers, or even 2.0 (standard). It has three modes, one for gaming, one for media and one for creating music. Not only that but the sound quality is much improved and high-performance on all audio (24-bit) due to the processor, and apparently even increases framerates. Just as soundcards were starting to become defunct too.

And with our CMSS3D Surround technologies, we can make any stereo music envelop you in a 3D space, be it on a 2.0, 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system, and in the exact proportion you desire.

For people like me who hate having music stuck in the middle of your head when using headphones, the unbelievable CMSS3D Headphone Expander technology will expand the audio outside your head, such that it will be like listening to an external 7.1 surround speaker system. Listening to headphones will never be the same again.

For power gamers who want to have an absolute edge over their competitors, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars just to beef up your PC and get those few extra frames per second anymore. The X-Fi processor will speed up your frame rate up to 40% over motherboard audio, while at the same time delivering a shockingly crystal-clear and rich 24-bit environmental audio with 128 three dimensional voices. These realistic and clear audio environments can provide you with audio cues that'll allow you to pinpoint your enemies, giving you a significant edge in game play, far beyond what increasing the frame-rates alone can give.
At first I thought it was hype but the testimonials at the end of the last page changed my oppinion. I just wish I hadn't recently bought a Audigy 2 ZS ;_;

Sources:

Marketing: http://www.creative.com/heartobelieve/
Product: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14000

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's already been released, fyi :p. I may be getting one, hm. My SBLive! 16bit is a little... meh with music. A little expensive for the xram version, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not over here it hasn't ;_;

I didn't think the price was that bad considering what it could do, soundcard with improved quality + fps increase + surround sound, if you bought a ZS and a moderate graphics card and a set of 7.1 speakers then it would come to a lot more.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um, did you read the article? 40% over motherboard audio. The article is contradictory.. "You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get that extra edge," well.. Why would a computing enthusiast willing to spend thousands of dollars have worthless onboard audio or video?

If you have a soundcard, you don't have onboard audio, and thus no framerate increase.

Anyhoo, I'd be surprised if they could get two speakers in front of you to make it seem like sound is coming from behind you, but if it's true, hooray.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Um, did you read the article? 40% over motherboard audio. The article is contradictory.. "You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get that extra edge," well.. Why would a computing enthusiast willing to spend thousands of dollars have worthless onboard audio or video?

If you have a soundcard, you don't have onboard audio, and thus no framerate increase.

Anyhoo, I'd be surprised if they could get two speakers in front of you to make it seem like sound is coming from behind you, but if it's true, hooray.
I fixed the article so you won't think people are getting blind-sided by nothing, happy? Heh. Too much assumption going on here! I guess I could've elaborated a little, though. I'll edit my post to suit your needs. It is a nice sound card, and from what I've been reading, people with decent headphones are getting very nice sound from it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Hooray indeed, there's a special speaker system for the PS2 that's just one speaker and provides full 5.1 surround sound, they just took it a step further so that it's possible with regular speakers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom