Funimation

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
dudes funi bichslapped Bidforpower for using dbz chars , and they change it , but WHY esf is still on his feet ? , i mean i know that bfp tried to sell but the team sayd that a member of the team is struggling for a big amount of time to stop funi to close esf , but why did they not close it yet? did they ataked bfp cuz they tryed to sell it ? or cuz was bad comercial ?!?!? pls respon

Yours Confised VeGeTTo

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
As far as i know. BidForPower tried to gain money from it. But since they were using Dragonball Z characters, FUNimaton stopped them. And Funimation never attempted to close down Earth Special Forces, it was a april fools joke.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
hmmz so esf is Pure legal , n destined to live a honorable legal life on noble players' computers for all two eternities?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yes, the only thing that the team and or one person in the team is gaining money from are donations, which is completely legal. So ESF will never get forced to shut down unless they would do something illegaly against FUNimation rules ;)

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hahahah April Fool What a NOOB Hahahahaha (PRAFF MAI ESTI VEGETTO)
There no way esf Will ever Close

Best answers
ermm.. john, have u tought all that thru? T_T it aint wize to go tell ppl that they are noobs if they are little confused over here ;o it gives a real bad picture of urself

Sound Artist
Best answers
My 3rd grade English teacher would be rolling in her grave right now.. if she were dead that is =)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VeGeTTo said:
hmmz so esf is Pure legal , n destined to live a honorable legal life on noble players' computers for all two eternities?
It's still not legal to copy copyrighted material, so FUNimation could do something if they feel that they need to.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm.. I thought Mastasurf was in jail, along with the other dev team members... at least thats what this memo says. Weird

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Growler said:
Hmm.. I thought Mastasurf was in jail, along with the other dev team members... at least thats what this memo says. Weird
So that's where my April Fools Day memos ended up. So much for my prank =\

However, to address the question posed by the thread:

Skyrider is correct. If I remember hearing about this correctly, the BFP team tried to garner some income for their game, and, since they were dealing with licensed characters, they were treading on the illegal side of things. ESF, on the other hand, does not ask for payment in order for you to play the game. You are free to donate in order to soften the impact of hosting the site, forums, and, should they return, the game servers. However, since you aren't forced to pay, I don't think there's anything particularly illegitimate about ESF.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VeGeTTo said:
Pretty much, though we're not invincible. If they decided to shut us down, then they could. We could go to court with it, but in the end it's their characters so they'd win regardless.

Though more than likely Funi knows about ESF and just doesn't shut it down simply because in the end, it's good publicity.

It keeps fans interested in the series to watch a fan made game progress over the duration of a few years, which will in turn cause them to buy their merchandise such as DVD's and professional games.

Can they shut down ESF? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im behind Kama 100% on thisone.

Funi would loose a big publicity with this. And since it isnt any loss to them they are better off if they dont do a thing. But than agin if they do shut down ESF i see 10000+ angry people stuffing funis mailbox XD

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama said:
Pretty much, though we're not invincible. If they decided to shut us down, then they could. We could go to court with it, but in the end it's their characters so they'd win regardless.

Though more than likely Funi knows about ESF and just doesn't shut it down simply because in the end, it's good publicity.

It keeps fans interested in the series to watch a fan made game progress over the duration of a few years, which will in turn cause them to buy their merchandise such as DVD's and professional games.

Can they shut down ESF? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not.
But then again... there is always the other side.
Not to toot ESF's horn, but this game is soo good that it may end up taking away from DBZ merchandise. I still don't see how Funimation/Dimps w.e makes a dime on these crappy run-of-the-mill games. I mean.. wtf was 'Sagas'... I think ESF smokes the competition.. I mean, why pay for a game when we can have ESF for free..?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sagas was made by a small company called Avalanche, I think that would explain a lot.

As unbiased as I can be, I don't ESF takes anything away from the mainstream gaming market. Compared to the Dragon Ball Z games released for the console, this mod can barely compete with the fanbase (so to speak) of the consoles. Why? Well, the Dragon Ball Z games that were released for consoles and hand-helds have more popularity due to publicity (mainly advertising). Not to mention as each day passes, gamers want better graphics, better gameplay, better stories, which ESF struggles to do since it is limited to an outdated game engine.

I mean no offense to the team or this mod with what I said previously, but I'm just saying there is a higher demand for grade A games than something that looks ancient. Sure ESF is free, it has to be unless the rights were bought to legally add a fee. By my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong), if the team bought rights to use the likeness, names, etcetera of everything in Dragon Ball Z, then the team would have to charge people to play the game to pay off royalties.

All of that is just what I think, so there is a good chance I'm wrong with what I said, and if I am, I sincerely apologize.

Best answers
(esti cam prost VeGeTTo) ... read the first news ... it's fraking writen with red .... JOKE ...... allways read all the freaking news .....

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
"esti tard rau .......apropo nu are nici o legatura cu april foul doar ca esti prea retard ca sa citesti" OK OK please close the topic so people? like john and mist to not spam uselessly cuz they just do not read ! btw for john and the other the joke is posibile they coud shut down esf so pls stfu and read more(the reely spamed there)
PS: for Hamppuuh := he allready has a bad image of himself , in my eyes, he cound'nt be more bad imaged (not to sware)
esti cam prost VeGeTTo : u are an idiot vegetto
PRAFF MAI ESTI VEGETTO: vegetto u are dust..........? it means something more seriosly in romanian

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really think that post was unneccessary to begin with. And please, take more time to type properly. Its really hard to decifer what you wrote.

Was bid for power the first big dbz mod for a fps? Or did ESF beat them by like a year?

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
VeGeTTo said:
dudes funi bichslapped Bidforpower for using dbz chars ,
Thats what Chris wanted people to believe, in all honesty nothing happened, Rodney(main modeller for BFP) said somewhere a bit ago it was bogus.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't use words if you don't know how to spell them: "Decipher".

BFP was the first big successful dbz mod and was for quake 3. Esf came afterwards. Funi took down bfp because they were making money off of their mod, so they changed all of the characters. People were able to dl model packs to make it a dbz mod again, though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Don't use words if you don't know how to spell them: "Decipher".

BFP was the first big successful dbz mod and was for quake 3. Esf came afterwards. Funi took down bfp because they were making money off of their mod, so they changed all of the characters. People were able to dl model packs to make it a dbz mod again, though.
Thanks Zeo for correcting me and for the news update about BFP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom