ESF Retrospective

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Hello my fellow esf fans, developers, forum dwellers...
I had a vison today that moved me.
I remembered back in the spring of 2001 when I found Earth's Special Forces.

I was browsing the internet on my lunch hour, on the companies T1.....
when I stumbled across Earths Special Forces Alpha 1.7.
The fascinating part was a few days later when I checked the website, ESF alpha 1.8 was out for download.

It showed improvement, the auras looked interesting, the beams were crude but they worked. Goku looked like a caveman back then.
Then a few months later, they posted this[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nw0ppJbil8"]ESF Alpha 2.0![/ame] Is was on now! Beams were fantastic, powerstruggling was born, a few new characters were added.
It was a dream come true, but then about a year later....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbIEO9pHAA4"]ESF BETA 1.0[/ame]
I devoted months of my life playing this game online. Still to this day I think it was one of the most addicting games I ever played. The difference in quality for all the maps, models, animations, sounds, graphics, everything was so polished for a mod that is free, it just blew my damn mind.

Then of course they released Beta 1.1
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AW8YxiGNFM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AW8YxiGNFM[/ame]

But wait it gets better...... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCMOYfAK6yA"]ESF Beta 1.2........[/ame]
This video is still exciting as hell to watch.
I just can't believe this incredible mod has been running for so long, and is still going strong, it just impresses the hell out of me.
I made a website devoted to ESF to show just how much I really love what everyone here has helped to create. Its worth checking out. phrack50s ESF-Fansite. Its a small token of my appreciation. I honestly wish I had some serious HTML skills or at least the ability to create a kickass homage video, but alas this will have to do.

Last edited:
Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember some of the stuff from the 1.2 trailer when the mods got to play :p Fun times. But yeah, that alpha 2.0 vid is what got me on board in the beginning.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
ESF WTF~!!!!11!1!!!one!!!eleven!!!!ONE!!

this 1.2 clip reminded me of esf_Tom what a piece of cap it was xD
and it was first map in default mapcycle so when it wasn't changed every server after crash
landed on this awesome(not!) map.

Last edited:
Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, 1.0 was awesome. I remember spending hours playing my own mod... wait.. I still do. bwahahahaa!

man I wanna play 1.3 again.. to bad everyone is asleep! DAMN YOU TEAM MATES! WAKE UP!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hehe i remember that 1.2 trailer. Allways laughed with the ending XD

"SAY GOODBYE!"

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yea...Epic failure there Grega :D

Besides, look what we got here now, ESF was and still improving long, but we see what we got here :p I remember about Two/one years ago when i saw bloom effects update, I almost dropped glass from my hand opening esforces website.Time is passing and everything improves.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bloom was 1 year ago MAX but not 2 years.

I joined this forum in 2003 so all developement i knew about was 1.2 though i played since 1.0 ^^

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can still remember me watching that 1.0 trailer over-and-over-and-over again, I thought it was sooo awesome. In fact, just watching it now makes me want to play 1.0/1.1 again. :D

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw ESF in a gaming magazine a few months before I joined the forums. The bot chat confused me to no end when I first played ^^.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Haha, I loved the bot chat :p I should bug rick to make sure he keeps it up for the new bots.

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Remember Spin and his Red Saiyan website?
Your one-stop resource for everything ESF. :cool:

Remember the Release party for Beta 1.0?
I remember simply typing the word Buu, and the whole chat was flooded with people going Buuuu! buuu! buuuu!
It was so exciting, because Buu was a new character at that time. :love:

Remember DragonModZ, the competition that drove ESF to constantly improve everything. It was crude but for the time wasn't too bad. :laff:

Ahh such wonderful memories.....

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dragonmod z?...
lol.. nah they didnt really affect us in any way. We were always on top and had the ideal of a more instense gameplay. We didnt really compare or compete with dmz at all, we just thought it was a funny mod to play because of the keyboard meechanics and how you had to press buttons to do an attack.

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
dragonmod z?...
lol.. nah they didnt really affect us in any way. We were always on top and had the ideal of a more instense gameplay. We didnt really compare or compete with dmz at all, we just thought it was a funny mod to play because of the keyboard meechanics and how you had to press buttons to do an attack.
ESF = Nearly better than sex. :laff:

DMZ = Buggier than a building in Chicago. :rolleyes:

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
dragonmod z?...
Yea, DMZ was pretty much just the only other DBZ HL mod.

ESF blew it out of the water.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
But there was a bit of rivalry between the fanbase of ESF and DMZ, even though the teams usually got on well :p So much so we had to make a rule about no DMZ bashing :p

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a shame we don't have the 1.1 trailer. I remember the song played on it was jump around, with people beamjumping everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom