Has Dabura been considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Even though he wasn't a major character, he was probably the most powerful character in the real, canonical storyline to be left out of ESF.

Personally, I didn't even like his character, and thought he was pretty overpowered to just pop up in the story like he did, but I was just wondering if he had ever been considered as an addition to the game. I mean, he was as strong as Cell, supposedly, and he did have some powers that could possibly be interesting in gameplay, like his little stone spitting thing.

I did a search to see if he was mentioned at all, but not much came up. I just thought it was strange that a canonical character who was probably in the top 5 strongest characters in the series is ignored, even in all the add-ons I have seen so far.

Is he just too lame to put in?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He was never considdered.

He lacks transformations. He only has 2 things that stand out and both would be hard to balance. So in the end heed be more useless than KRillin.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not having transformations isn't a huge deal, you could buddy him with someone. I'd rather see someone like Brolly be added, though.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Krillin doesn't have transformations either. But you managed to make him transform.

Dabura most likely was stronger than Cell but I doubt if he's in top 5.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Remember when Gohan, Goku, and Vegeta first got in to Babidi's spaceship during the Majin Buu saga? How they had to fight their way down each floor of the ship to get closer to the Buu Ball that Babidi had hidden from Shin on the bottom level of the ship itself? On the first floor, Vegeta kills Pui Pui. On the second floor, Goku kills Yakon. On the third floor, Dabura volunteers to take out Gohan. Before Dabura advances to the third floor for his fight with Gohan though, he goes in to a meditation chamber so that he could meditate before the fight. Babidi mentions that whenever Dabura does this, he becomes more powerful. That could essentially be his "transformation".

You could have two different versions of Dabura...

1. Pre-meditation (Dabura's initial form if someone were to choose him as a character)

and

2. Post-meditation (his transformation, once someone is able to get a high enough PL to do this)

It would basically be similar to Piccolo's transformation. You could have him in a meditative stance, and then power up to a stronger form. No changes really have to take place physically, although you could remove his cape (again, similar to Piccolo's transformation).

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dabura wasnt always a majin either. He could start out normal and undergo the majin change over sort of like what Vegeta went through. Just an idea. =/

I doubt it will happen, but I think Dabura would be a nice addition.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Regardless, I think new characters are out of the question, just because it would kill DT.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Besides, when it comes down to it, for what ESF is, you can really just do everything with the characters we have.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Regardless, I think new characters are out of the question, just because it would kill DT.
yeah, thats true.

but if we could get some new ones...

i would definitely prefer broly, but i would also love to see gotenks get his own character slot. after all, hes a completely established character and has all the transformations you would need.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Characters aren't really that much of a problem for DT and I. All we do is just import the basic animations in 3ds max and create 5-10 unique animations + melee.

Best answers
I think having like Dabura and Bobidi under a buddy system would be cool. Dabura would be all melee, and Bobidi would be Ki attacks and disables.

It'd definitely enhance a story & objective-based game type.

But yeah, I think that'd be at the bottom of their long list at the very least.

Best answers
I really like the idea of having him pre-meditation and post for his transformation. As for losing clothing like Piccolo, the reason Piccolo gained power after losing clothing was because his clothes were weighted. It wouldn't be the same with Dabura. The non-majin to majin idea is cool too, but he was never seen in the series as a non-majin, so that's kinda difficult.

I agree that it would be cool to have playable kid Trunks and Goten... but then, it would also be cool to have Tien. I dunno who I would want most. I've even wondered about like Android 19, with a beam absorption thing or something. Too many options.

But I do think it's funny that Ginyu is in there even though even Krillin might have beat him at one point. But I totally understand, Ginyu has so many cool options, I can't wait to play him.

As for Broly, NO WAY! Keep it Akira, keep it canon DBZ. But I don't think I even need to say that. You want Broly, just get ESX, they did a pretty nice job.

Last edited:
Best answers
Dabura also has a sword may I remind you all. He not only can turn people to stone effectively freezing them like Sub-zero would his opponents in mortal kombat, he can also spit flames. Now In game it could catch an opponent on fire so damage done wit time (like in half life) or it can blurr the view of the opponent like a solar flare while at the same time doing damage. And he's strong and fast the equivalent of ssj2 after meditated (I also agree with that as a transformation).

Best answers
In spite of the optimism from Damaera, it might be worth talking about then.

If you made Dabura and Babidi under a buddy system, you wouldn't really need transformations. You could just allow them to function together well. Dabura = melee, Bobidi = ki attacks

To power up Dabura, make it so Babidi's stamina & ki drain over time. This sacrifices Ki Attacks for strict melee potential. Remove the stamina bar from Dabura so he has no limitations in effect.

Program some basic moves for Dabura, like his spit is a charged attack which stuns for a set period of time unrelated to power level.

His teleport leaves a longer-lasting afterimage to confuse melee. This makes him rely less on swoop speed.

Give him a flame breath that's similar to what I saw with Burning Attack. Charging increases the initial damage value. This would be best when used in combination with spit, making the damage become increasingly stronger the longer it's on them.

For Babidi, you could make him the one who creates the stun effect with a spell and make the spit into a mini-stun interruption for Ki attacks.

Possibly make Babidi's mind control technique like that of a Smash & Grab which quickly throws them to the targeted location.

Magic Barrier is always active as long as Babidi's stamina is above half. Stamina has a greater effect at absorbing Ki Attacks.

He can throw slime into the air, which would be like Piccolo's scattering beam attack, where he can then right click to make the slime explode instead of fly after the target.

Overall, since neither possess strong Ki attacks, make them good at avoiding and countering them, then overpowering with melee. Burning Attack, Exploding Slime, and Grab & Smash throw would be their strongest attacks.

Just some ideas, but I think it'd make a unique combination.

Last edited:
Best answers
I think I would hate if Babidi was in there, just because Babidi sucked so bad in the series. I think it's reasonable to assume that Dabura could use at least the basic ki attacks, and replace the more powerful beams with something else. He could even throw a spear or something, like the one he impaled Buu with. Sounds lame, but just an idea.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AFAIK movie characters (including Broly) won't be seen in ESF. Even though Broly was designed by Akira Toriyama.

Who cares, if non-Majin Dabura was never seen? Armored SSJ2 Majin Vegeta wasn't either, but he's in game, isn't he?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I'm concerned, if we start adding other characters to the roster, there are much better candidates than Dabura that would create more interesting gameplay. Goten+Trunks as buddies for example, transform = fusion. That'd be a worth while character to add, a varied repertoire of attacks, multiple and interesting forms/buddies combination and also satisfy part of the fanbase. Daburas fanbase is relatively small.

New characters aren't really on top of the things to do list though despite them being a lot easier to add now, its still a significant workload increase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom