Question

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Are sensu beans still going to exist in 1.3?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If they do, they'll probably be limited to certain maps.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah it would just be insane having them in every map, but it would be nifty to be able to switch on/off sensu and carrylimit before a map is loaded. Almost how you would for frag grenades or something in say Soldat for example. Whether or not you have capability of sensu in every map, the option would complement it nicely.

I like the idea of Saiyans earning a PL boost when using the sensu to recover from say <10 HP, though it prob wont translate well in gameplay.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I like the idea of Saiyans earning a PL boost when using the sensu to recover from say <10 HP, though it prob wont translate well in gameplay.
Blast yourself until you have <10HP, use sensu, repeat.

Highly exploitable, especially since sensu beans respawn.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree, but i imagine it wouldnt be too difficult for the engine to determine whether an attack was inflicted by the player or an enemy. Could also even add restraints like non-ssj and stamina levels. If the server could control things like spawn frequency, carrylimit, on/off etc at least you could moderate things a little. It takes a lot of balancing so I dont expect on seeing it this way with the workload as it is..

Back from the shadows
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
but i imagine it wouldnt be too difficult for the engine to determine whether an attack was inflicted by the player or an enemy
Well there are moderators and spectators that always look around before joining the match. I think someone that stands around blasting themselves would easily stand out, and having a rule against "self-blasting" oneself is by no far something hard to impose.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
But it's damn near impossible to enforce.

I'd rather just see them removed completely. In the current builds they serve no purpose and most people don't even know what to do with them or where to get them.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there are moderators and spectators that always look around before joining the match. I think someone that stands around blasting themselves would easily stand out, and having a rule against "self-blasting" oneself is by no far something hard to impose.
I'm not going to sit in my chair and police servers for the purpose of discovering whether people are abusing an inherently exploitable system or not.

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Senzubeans should be earned with kills at most. And you could have only 1 bean that heals you by 25% of your HP.

Or something in that line. I disslike the fact that they heal you 100% and are easy to obtain.

Back from the shadows
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm not going to sit in my chair and police servers for the purpose of discovering whether people are abusing an inherently exploitable system or not.
Well actually scrap what I said.. most of the time its the players themselves who are keeping an eye out for potential cheaters of some sort... I know its been like that in every FPS shooter Ive been in... and in ESF I dont think its THAT hard to stop some cheating idiot from blasting themselves to 10HP... for starters the sensu beans would spawn in different locations (possible?), second, have 10HP limit decreased to 5... hard but not impossible to obtain.
And most importantly.. have the increase in power be insignificant enough to actually consider "self-blasting" a complete waste of time.
A sensu bean's primary function is to recover health.. the increase in power is just a little addon for saiyan players.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well actually scrap what I said.. most of the time its the players themselves who are keeping an eye out for potential cheaters of some sort... I know its been like that in every FPS shooter Ive been in... and in ESF I dont think its THAT hard to stop some cheating idiot from blasting themselves to 10HP... for starters the sensu beans would spawn in different locations (possible?), second, have 10HP limit decreased to 5... hard but not impossible to obtain.
And most importantly.. have the increase in power be insignificant enough to actually consider "self-blasting" a complete waste of time.
A sensu bean's primary function is to recover health.. the increase in power is just a little addon for saiyan players.
Lol, if there's no real benefit, there's no point in having it.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I think Senzubeans should be earned with kills at most. And you could have only 1 bean that heals you by 25% of your HP.

Or something in that line. I disslike the fact that they heal you 100% and are easy to obtain.
It might be better to have senzu beans given to players with the most deaths instead of the most kills. Or maybe base it on a player's kill/death ratio in which those with a higher death ratio will receive a senzu bean. However, the problem with that is a player could easily sit there and get killed on purpose, racking up senzu beans. So, to counter that, a limit could be set up for how many senzu beans each player can have at a time.

There's also the issue of a player not being aware they have a senzu bean. Which in that case an indicator of some sort would be needed. The kind I have in mind is an sound indicator, though the sound indicator is unique to the character a player is playing as. So for example, if someone was playing as Goku and received a senzu bean, the sound indicator that plays would be Goku's voice saying something like "Alright!".

Last edited:
Back from the shadows
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
Lol, if there's no real benefit, there's no point in having it.
Theres always a balance.
By insignificant it means players will think twice about spending their time blasting themselves instead of actually having fun and playing the game...
besides Kynetik suggested this as a possible "easter egg".. or whatever you call it for what this main thread is actually about :p

The PL gain may be an unnecesary amount of coding if it wont do any good to get an insignificant boost... but then again its only a possible.. if not secondary to extremely secondary feature.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
What im saying is, the game can already determine what player used the attack which killed you. Whats so difficult about identifying the player who last attacked you, and checking that player ID with your own. If it matches your own ID, then you hurt yourself. Given that, it shouldnt be to difficult to monitor.

If you hurt yourself you lose your sensu.
If you attempt to use sensu, with <10 HP, it wont work if you last hurt yourself

You could make a timed window where sensu are available, lets say for example the last 30 seconds before map change, where people give it all for the scoreboard, or halfway through or something. Just an idea.

Also I love the idea of the added sound effect when you collect a sensu bean, whether it were a digital or voice clip.

Last edited:

sub

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sensu beans should be scrapped. I don't like the idea of restoring ones HP.

You could give sensu beans to players who are doing well, but then it'd be unfair to the newbies.
You could give sensu beans to players who keep getting killed, but then you'd be rewarding the people who are bad at the game
You could just put them on certain maps like how it is in 1.2, but honestly, people avoid riverside like the plague for the sole reason that it has sensu beans.

I'm of the opinion that when someone gets dealt damage, it's for a reason. They did something wrong or didn't do something good enough. If you want some of your HP back, too bad, you should deal with it, learn from your mistakes and next time not get hit in the first place. A tad cruel, but seriously, the penalty for dying in ESF is that you respawn a split second later.

Last edited:
ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sensu beans should be scrapped. I don't like the idea of restoring ones HP.

You could give sensu beans to players who are doing well, but then it'd be unfair to the newbies.
You could give sensu beans to players who keep getting killed, but then you'd be rewarding the people who are bad at the game
You could just put them on certain maps like how it is in 1.2, but honestly, people avoid riverside like the plague for the sole reason that it has sensu beans.

I'm of the opinion that when someone gets dealt damage, it's for a reason. They did something wrong or didn't do something good enough. If you want some of your HP back, too bad, you should deal with it, learn from your mistakes and next time not get hit in the first place. A tad cruel, but seriously, the penalty for dying in ESF is that you respawn a split second later.
well... come to think of it, you guys are right!
People could also get a fair fight without those!

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with your fundamentalism Sub, but the ol' MediKit is a token of almost all games, let alone FPS'ers. There will always be health whores, and it doesnt take a genius to work out those who arent have skill. Let your rep speak for itself.

If they are to be included, it should only be for a small timed window. With the ability to turn it on or off, who gives a smeg ? The choice of sensu should be included to appease both sides of the argument.

The Brain Freezer
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
How about, you get 1 sensu bean every time you die 5 times in a row? Would help players with less skills....

I think its the best way of having controled using of sensu beans.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
That would make me focus on one person so that I could steal his sensu after I kill him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom