HL and ESF

Best answers
im wondering, does ESF work on a non-steam Half Life? Not an illegal one, i mean the legal one that came out like... 8 years ago, lol.
That's all I have and I can't buy anything, and I have no idea how to upgrade it to steam version half life.

Is there an upgrade available that will change the original Half Life into the new steam version Half Life?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It will probably work without steam, but you won't be able to play online. Steam is easy, just download steam from www.steampowered.com create an account and login. You will then be able to add games, add half life's cd key and everything should work.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I highly doubt v1.2.x (latest versions of ESF) will work without steam.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They may work but its highly possible to get a lot of bugs if not used with STEAM.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I've actually tried using it without steam, in some occasions I get errors where the map doesnt load at all, sprites function incorrectly and the game crashes way too often...

STEAM is your only option.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
You just need to create a free steam account and enter your HL serial code, then HL is registered to your steam account and you can download it directly through steam.

Best answers
Even the old HL key that I have will work? Ok. Thanks then, I now have to go through my massive CD Case library and find the key, lol.
I hope this works, me and some friends are getting ready for a big ESF game soon!!
Thank you all!!

Last Question: Does anyone know of a CD Key program that just checks your CD Key? Cause, I have my half life installed, but I can't find the case, so it'd be easier if I had a program that checked what my CD Key is, or if anyone knows how to check. Thanks again!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It should be in your registry.

youll need the "regedit" editor for that though. Just open the "Run" window and type in "regedit"

If i remember correctly HL should be in "Current user>software>valve>"

Or something like that. In any case there is an entery called cd-key. Thats the thing ^^

Best answers
Yup I definitely second the registry. I remember having to do that waaayyyy back in time.

But I also remember using "Half life cd key changer" to show me my cd key. I don't know if that program is still around but it's worth a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom