A Petition

Are you concerned with Filefront?

• Yes, I want answers!

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • No, I believe things will be resolved.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm uncertain.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I request that this thread isn't deleted or locked, and the higher-ups allow the public to speak.

It's been standard for this forum to keep everything hush-hush for quick-resolving purposes. But, this situation is becoming more than simple politics. A direct threat to the continuity of this place is becoming obvious. A patience for very slow and sometimes falty bandwidth is causing (once again) another relapse of traffic and activity. This place is going to finally run out of lives and die if this situation continues.

I, among others, would like a clear response on what's the fate of this mod. Was this move to Filefront basically a placeholder till the Dev team decided to can the beta, and the forum withered away?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Search took 118.30 seconds; generated 3 minute(s) ago. Search:
That's by no means healthy!
So far, moving to filefront has caused nothing but problems.

Sure, Greg had the occasional **** up, but the forum was never down for more than a week and has never been this slow.

But compared to what we currently have, Greg's place was heaven.
For starters, we didn't even have a forum for the first few months.
Which, apparently was beyond, who ever is in charge now, his control.

Which I suppose is excusable, since this might be new for them too ( unlikely though, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt )

Then when it's finally up, everyone's happy, but suddenly, without warning, it becomes slow as heck.
As usual we waited for it to get fixed, which everyone thought it would,
but it seems no one is going to do that or tell us what's going on!

this might be a bit harsh, but it's true.
This forum is currently killing what's left of the community.

but as Majin You said and I quote
A pity. But, I suppose, in the span of almost 7 years, something of this nature was bound to happen.
Maybe it's for the best?!

Anyway, lets face it
our current situation isn't that bad, it's just really annoying!
It's a small community right now and a slow forum which isn't a major issue since we don't have a new threads every 5 minutes anymore.

but imagine if the team managed to release a "non-beta" version of ESF.
the community would undoubtedly explode with new members! ( asking retarded questions :( )
we'll literally see users joining every 5 seconds as we saw in the past, but this server obviously can't handle that.

so, I say, Tell us what's going on, tell us what you're going to do about it and I think most of us can live with what ever decision is made, whether its good or bad.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's going on here, guys? What's all this about? It's unmanageable at this point.

If you want to can the project, just be up front with it and say so! Don't strangle the community because you're too afraid to disappoint them! This has been in the running for HOW LONG? Make your choice and do what you intend to do NOW. Don't just strangle us. Doctors kill with Kindness!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i mean no offense by this, but i actually would prefer the team stop making the game.

youve done more than enough, game-wise, and its apparent that your social/school/work lives are taking up way too much time to be bothering trying to make a mod for a bunch of kids. just do us a favor and end it now, it is more than obvious that the project cant be finished.

that being said, these forums suck and i mean all offense possible by this. why the hell is it taking so long to fix!?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i mean no offense by this, but i actually would prefer the team stop making the game.

youve done more than enough, game-wise, and its apparent that your social/school/work lives are taking up way too much time to be bothering trying to make a mod for a bunch of kids. just do us a favor and end it now, it is more than obvious that the project cant be finished.

that being said, these forums suck and i mean all offense possible by this. why the hell is it taking so long to fix!?
Quoted for the motha****ing truth! I sometimes wonder why I'm even still here, the old community is pretty much dead, and we've been overrun by europeans (most of which barely speak english) making stupid threads, and high-fiving each other when one of said threads actually scores a praise. I'm not naming any names, I'm sure they know who they are, but let's just face it now: ESF is dead. There, don't you feel better saying the words? I sure as hell do.

Move on, take care of what's really important. Go to school, work, or whatever you do and stop jerking the community around with occasional updates to an open beta that nobody's playing to begin with. I've been here since this project started (under many different names and accounts, mainly because I have a **** memory and when I finally managed to remember my password I stuck with it lol), and I have no doubt most people remember how ****ing awesome this mod was when it was released.

There were so many DBZ mods in development at the time, but this one rose straight to the top with the release of Alpha 2.0. After seven years of development, you're just now getting remotely close to a fully balanced, working game. I hate to crush your spirit or whatever, but we're not getting any younger, and you're only getting more and more burdened with work and school (or whatever).

Lay the project to rest now. It's time.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I believe in another thread Skyrider said that it wasn't a bandwidth problem, but rather a database problem.

Regardless of why the problem is here, all I want to know is that it's going to be fixed. A big problem I've always had with the ESF team is that they give out no information, all that I really wanted from this was there to be a small update on the front page saying that they know theres a problem and their working on it. Because currently, is the forum ever going to be fixed? Hell if I know.

As for the team discontinuing work on the mod, it's obviously entirely up to them. If they want to keep working on 1.3, that's awesome. I personally don't like the direction 1.3 is going and I'd rather not have that become <b>the</b> version, because I can actually play 1.2 once in a while and have fun. 1.3... not so much.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
I request that this thread isn't deleted or locked, and the higher-ups allow the public to speak.

It's been standard for this forum to keep everything hush-hush for quick-resolving purposes. But, this situation is becoming more than simple politics. A direct threat to the continuity of this place is becoming obvious. A patience for very slow and sometimes falty bandwidth is causing (once again) another relapse of traffic and activity. This place is going to finally run out of lives and die if this situation continues.

I, among others, would like a clear response on what's the fate of this mod. Was this move to Filefront basically a placeholder till the Dev team decided to can the beta, and the forum withered away?
Death/Discontinuation seems inevitable at this point. Even if the problem with the forums was fixed, I doubt that would bring back the community. There's still many who disliked the direction ESF was heading. Most threads that had news regarding new features or anything regarding ESF in general attracted more-than-usual negative feedback. The majority of those who posted on these forums were veteran members. Rarely did any recently register members stay very long. And the only interest seemed to be the Off-Topic forum, rarely anywhere else.

But, yes, I wouldn't mind some answers even though I don't post on these forums anymore.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't care who's fault it is or why this forum is slower than a drop of sweat trickling down my balls. Just fix the problem so we can get this ship back on course.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to have to throw this out there.

Yeah, it's pretty dead. I've been here for a pretty long time now that I think about it. Sure I'll miss opening ESF forums but I'll eventually stop coming here myself.

TBH, the most I can do is add friends onto messengers / Myspace / find out where they're hiding (miss you Pain :(!)

Anyways, I've noticed myself the forums horrendously decaying. I think myself it was inevitable, just the lack of forums for a few months + now the lag is the final nail in the bucket...if that makes any sense.

Time to put ol' yeller down.

although they are a lot faster then when it came back atm.

*flash back*

I really really loved this forums for it's members, but to me it seems we've all grown up.

I can definitely say I'm no longer the 13 1/2 year old kid that was obsessing over Naruto and Counter-strike. I'm now a 17 year old that's into music, games, and creating stuff that people can appreciate.

edit:

holy ****... I'm 17. Where did the years ago?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I'll step up and be the first to speak on the official problems with the forum.

1st: Filefront was warned, repeatedly, that the box they intended to run ESF's Forum on would not work. They did not correct the situation.

2nd: Surprise, our predictions came true, the 1GB+ Database couldn't be handled by a shared E-Machine server.

3rd: The current slowness issue IS NOT BANDWIDTH, it is the server attempting to use a database that is corrupted. Some parties believe it was externally caused damage, other's believe it was the server itself that mangled the database.

So, what can we do?

Solution 1: Merge with Filefronts forums. All of our posts will go there, and all moderation staff of ESF will be busted down to moderator rank.

Solution 2: Erase corrupted database and start over.

Solution 3: Load back up of older ESF Forum DB, and pray it doesn't corrupt again.

All three solutions are unpalatable. From what I've heard from the other senior staff members, we are leaning towards wipe and restart. This keeps our beloved forum software, and our current setup, but sacrifices seven years of .fm. bans.

As more information becomes available, I will provide it to you.

Again, we are sorry for the poor service, but we no longer have means to address it ourselves.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And you are thanked sincerely by this humble moderator for your answer. I do hope you resolve this soon. I will continue to attend to my allotted duty, as would be expected.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there anyway the real ESF fans could keep this thing alive.

I'd donate.

Seriously.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wipe and restart, holy ****. That's so many memories wiped out in the blink of an eye. :cry:

On the bright side, it's also a fresh start.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Prozac said:
This forum is currently killing what's left of the community.
All the ace people left ages ago. If you don't fix the bandwidth problem you'll only see tiny john volkovs running around posting in every topic in future.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again, it is not a money or bandwidth issue, the physical hardware which Filefront allotted is insufficient for handling this enormous database. Restarting seems to be popular amongst the people left, so I'll be forwarding that to ESF team when I give my recommendation.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All the ace people left ages ago. If you don't fix the bandwidth problem you'll only see tiny john volkovs running around posting in every topic in future.
You've got to get that sand out of your vagina, it's making you cranky. :laff:

im all for a fresh start if it will fix the problem permanently, but dunno, Ive been here since April of 2003, i started my 3d modeling hobby here and well Id hate to see all of the different "eras" of the modeling section (good and bad) just disappear.

would it be at all possible to create an archive of all the posts before doing so, at least for viewing, and not active posting and the like.

Best answers
It doesn't necesarely have to be a wipe and restart, we could just restart and keep this horrendously slow forum as an archive. We are supposed to get faster hardware within a couple of weeks. Translated from web-admin time to normal people time: hang in for a month on more...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't necesarely have to be a wipe and restart, we could just restart and keep this horrendously slow forum as an archive. We are supposed to get faster hardware within a couple of weeks. Translated from web-admin time to normal people time: hang in for a month on more...
I rather like that idea, provided they have the room to store it. We could lock all the forums to keep it from expanding. I'm all for this solution, hell I'll even show up to vote for it on Sunday.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the number of staff exceeds the number of regular forum goers at this point. Because of this, I think it's only fair the remaining members of this board receive moderator status.

Because we're all moderators and there is no longer anyone to moderate, I think it is only fair we all receive Administrator status.

Fellow administrators, I feel the Force Pit has long since served it's purpose (whatever that may have been). It is only right that the Force Pit become a public section, where future members may have relatively unmoderated fun. I'd also like to post dirty pictures that aren't of men wearing wash cloths. All in favor of the motion say, "Fo'sho." All against, say nothing. Your votes don't count.

The motion has passed.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Server will move to a machine which is about 5x more powerful than the current one. It'll only take a few more days until the server movement is finished. From that point, hopefully php, mysql, postresql, etc will be fully updated on the new server. This, will certainly fix hopefully all the problems what is going on. Since this forum was supposed to be hosted on the PostreSQL in the first place, it might be a good idea to leave it like that rather than converting it to mySQL. This how ever means that the forums will be go back as it used to be when the forums first started to work again on the new host.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom