Um Xkuze Meh

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why can't we use animated avatars anymore?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would really appreciate it if a mod answered my question.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
(Sorry for the incredibly long delay, here) Do you mean that the forum won't allow you to upload the animated avatar, or that, once uploaded, it doesn't display properly?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The forum will not allow me to upload an animated avatar.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never got a straight answer when I asked this either. All they said was that they were special and they were the only ones allowed to have them (not joking, they said that).

If I had to guess though, I'd say it might be because of certain users' connection speeds being low. So people coming to the board just to look up an answer to a problem they're having with ESF won't have to wait for a stream of images to load before they can do so (which also makes no sense because they could just use the search function without registering, and look up their answer that way, since we all know that every single question has been answered at one point or another).

Edit: Oh, and for those who don't understand that last bit, images (sigs and avatars) don't display to unregistered users.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Edit: Oh, and for those who don't understand that last bit, images (sigs and avatars) don't display to unregistered users.
Or for those that choose to disable teh option not to view them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Members can disable all images in forums if I remembered correctly.

EDIT:

Grega

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never got a straight answer when I asked this either. All they said was that they were special and they were the only ones allowed to have them (not joking, they said that).
Ermm.... sure? I don't recall offering that particular answer in the past; I wouldn't mind finding out who "they" are, though.

I have an animated avatar because I uploaded it some 6 years ago and haven't changed it since; no special privileges, no extenuating circumstances, and long before I was ever a part of the forum staff.

I, honestly, cannot think why the forums aren't allowing you to upload your avatar. I'm assuming it is within the size limitation. However, as far as my access to the forum controls go, I can't see anything that I can do that would sort out the issue =|

Perhaps Greg can offer a plausible solution (or at least an answer) to this.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Perhaps Greg can offer a plausible solution (or at least an answer) to this.
How long can you hold your breath?

Anywho, what is the file size and dimensions of the image you're trying to upload? GIFs can be hefty in size and we do have a limit set for that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anywho, what is the file size and dimensions of the image you're trying to upload? GIFs can be hefty in size and we do have a limit set for that.
If it were anything having to do with the size, it would say so. It simply denies you permission to upload 'animated avatars'.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The avatars that I wish the upload are over 10 KB, the average GIF file is about 50 KB and higher.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it were anything having to do with the size, it would say so. It simply denies you permission to upload 'animated avatars'.
This thread is a testament to my reading comprehension.

Then one of the main things I suspect might be the issue is that uploading animated GIF avatars might be disabled by default in newer versions of vBulletin and an upgrade has caused the change.

I'm also curious about the staff that said he was privileged to have a GIF avatar due to his position. I know that 9 out of 10 mods here would say such a thing only as a joke. But alas, that information is for private only and really shouldn't even be told to me as it'd just be gossip.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe animated avatars have been re-enabled. You might want to try uploading again and tell us if you have any success with the attempt.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It works hehe. It sucks trying to find an animated avatar under 10 kb. >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's pretty hard to find an animated avatar that you like, and is under 10KB.

Thank you to who ever re-enabled it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
10 more KB added should be enough for me, maybe 20 more KB.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's pretty hard to find an animated avatar that you like, and is under 10KB.

Thank you to who ever re-enabled it.
harSens got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom