1.3 on non-steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
i managed to install the 1.3 on the cs 1.6 installation. it runs pretty goodn, i had no crashes, i can play in lan...
i dont know if im allowed to tell you how you can do it yourself, has anyone else done it yet? If the game creators have nothing against, and if anyone is interested, im happy to help!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's illegal to play a Half-Life modification without STEAM.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i managed to install the 1.3 on the cs 1.6 installation. it runs pretty goodn, i had no crashes, i can play in lan...
i dont know if im allowed to tell you how you can do it yourself, has anyone else done it yet? If the game creators have nothing against, and if anyone is interested, im happy to help!
You're not allowed to discuss how to bypass Steam on these forums.

Besides, without Steam, you're stuck with playing by yourself, plus you're stuck with all the bugs that would've been patched if you had used Steam.

It's illegal to play a Half-Life modification without STEAM.
It's not illegal, just not supported.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
basically people with non-steam hl copies are usually illegally obtained, that's why they dont have steam.. so hush puppy!

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
wow that's kind of an old newse it's beter on steam beleve me

You're not allowed to discuss how to bypass Steam on these forums.

Besides, without Steam, you're stuck with playing by yourself, plus you're stuck with all the bugs that would've been patched if you had used Steam.
well if you know how to do it you can do it :D (I had a lot of practic whit non steam since my contry only this year update all the servars to steam)

Sould this be closed?

Mog

Best answers
imkongkong said:
basically people with non-steam hl copies are usually illegally obtained, that's why they dont have steam.. so hush puppy!
I re-install WON half-life as often as every other month, because of either internet connection not working, Steam not working, Steam update problem making Steam unuseable, etc...
Yesterday Steam did something crazy where it randomly started using 200MB of RAM (on top of what HL was using :()
I'd like to know how to play the open beta from one of my several HL or CS CDs... but not on this forum. :no:

MC said:
Besides, without Steam, you're stuck with playing by yourself
...or on LAN? (which is basically the only way I play ESF atm)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one oppose Valve for making us buy Half-Life in order to play modifications that other people make. They're basically making money on other peoples' hard work by selling a game that's been made 8 years ago and by itself is basically dead. If I was in their place, I'd release the engine on Steam for free and let everyone download it. Then they could play modifications without having to buy Half-Life. This parasiting of other peoples' work Valve does is extremely unfair to the people that make mods.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, that's the way it actually goes, Valve is actually most definitely rich thanks to Counter-Strike mod.

Every game has mods nowadays, and the developers always enable the engine to be 'editable' (well, not always, but in common, like quake series), because it's one sort of way to get more money, like a flagship for them. We wouldn't propably hear anything about Valve if Gooseman le minh wouldn't have made cs with his team, or i don't know, Half-Life was pretty awesome when it came out, but without valve and cs, the mod scene wouldn't exist or be that big (ofcourse there was mods way before cs, but they didn't interest people until Action Quake2 for example, which was also made by Gooseman + his team).

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I for one oppose Valve for making us buy Half-Life in order to play modifications that other people make. They're basically making money on other peoples' hard work by selling a game that's been made 8 years ago and by itself is basically dead. If I was in their place, I'd release the engine on Steam for free and let everyone download it. Then they could play modifications without having to buy Half-Life. This parasiting of other peoples' work Valve does is extremely unfair to the people that make mods.
VALVe isn't making you do anything. If you want to buy Half-Life then buy Half-Life, if you don't, then don't.

The modification teams also had a choice as to whether they would want to use the Goldsrc engine or not for their modification. In fact, VALVe is providing a way for modification teams to get money from their modifications (GMod anyone?).

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John Volkov said:
wow that's kind of an old newse it's beter on steam beleve me
o_O. Look below his avatar.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VALVe isn't making you do anything. If you want to buy Half-Life then buy Half-Life, if you don't, then don't.

The modification teams also had a choice as to whether they would want to use the Goldsrc engine or not for their modification. In fact, VALVe is providing a way for modification teams to get money from their modifications (GMod anyone?).
The point is they are making money off something people do for fun, not for profit. Why would people have to pay for something that people make for fun by buying Half-Life? I think it's pretty unfair. That's just my opinion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The point is they are making money off something people do for fun, not for profit. Why would people have to pay for something that people make for fun by buying Half-Life? I think it's pretty unfair. That's just my opinion.
Because mod is always a mod, people make for gold src mods all the time because it's so good for it, besides 20 euros for hl anthology isn't that much to pay off.

There's always a choice to make on released engines (Quake 3.) now, but community still want the team to stick on good ol' gold src, and so wants the team.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
besides 20 euros for hl anthology isn't that much to pay off.
I know that, hell even a cheap-ass like me managed to buy Half-Life on Steam. But I just think it's unfair for Valve to make money like that. Maybe it's not much when one person buys it, but a lot of people on this world want HL mods. Then they have to buy HL, from which Valve profits, completely owing those profits to the mod that caused the buyer to buy Half-Life. It's just not right.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know that, hell even a cheap-ass like me managed to buy Half-Life on Steam. But I just think it's unfair for Valve to make money like that. Maybe it's not much when one person buys it, but a lot of people on this world want HL mods. Then they have to buy HL, from which Valve profits, completely owing those profits to the mod that caused the buyer to buy Half-Life. It's just not right.
VALVe isn't profiting from the modifications, they are profiting from people buying Half-Life. VALVe doesn't care whether you buy Half-Life for modifications, it's the fact that you're still buying their product. Half-Life wasn't created to be the foundation for modifications, neither were most games at that time and even now.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half-Life wasn't created to be the foundation for modifications, neither were most games at that time and even now.
You're right. It wasn't made to be the foundation for modifications, but it has become one. Basically no one plays Half-Life anymore, just its modifications.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're right. It wasn't made to be the foundation for modifications, but it has become one. Basically no one plays Half-Life anymore, just its modifications.
I have no regrets that i bought HL to be able to play ESF. Heck ESf is the only reason why i bought it.

So what. It was worth it. If you are to cheap to buy it than dont play. As for VALVE making money off mods. Yea it is. Not directlybut it is. Its called buisness. You know the pert of our civilisation that lives only to take the little you have and claim it for therown. VALVE is not alone. Every big corporation is like that. Just looking for a way to get more cash from the people. Its how our society works.

Mog

Best answers
You guys make it sound like Valve did nothing, and the ESF team made an entire game from scratch without using a ready made game engine...
It's not like the only thing you are paying Valve for is the CD key to use on Steam.

If the HL game engine is still of value to people, whats wrong with Valve asking people to pay for it?
The other games running on the HL engine and being sold for money had to pay Valve a LOT of money for the engine.

ESF could always buy rights to have the game engine in the mod... but then we would just be paying $10 to play ESF instead.
That might make more sense, but I doubt the team would have got far before funimation came along and stopped everything. :rolleyes:
I've heard of the source engine costing figures like $300,000 (I've heard it depends on who's buying apparently)...
The engine in HL1 would probably cost quite a lot too.
So the way it is now is better.

And anyway, $10 is barely anything...

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
It's nice and all to discuss related to "Half-Life", "Profit" and "Modifications", but that's totally not garding this thread's topic.

It is not allowed nor we support people not using Steam, as KongKong already said:
It "would" be considered legal when you have a copy of the game, and a valid key with it. Other than that point, we simply don't help people not using steam with all the reasons you see within this reply and all the replies above.

As for the Thread's Question:
If the game creators have nothing against, and if anyone is interested, im happy to help!
We would have grateful if you didn't. Just get steam, use steam and buy Half-Life to use it legally. If you already have Steam, why wanting to get it to work without the Steam software? Steam is the best solution, even it may suck at times.. It is after all the new Online System we all are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom