mp3 player help

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
is there anyway of getting the mp3 player to play for openbeta without changing the folder name?

Mog

Best answers
What do you mean by changing the folder name?

To have mp3 player in open beta, you either copy-paste the mp3 folder from esf 1.2.3 folder, or you create the mp3 folder yourself.

To do it yourself you need to have:
- "mp3" folder (esf_openbeta\mp3)
- "playlist.txt" file inside the mp3 folder (esf_openbeta\mp3\playlist.txt)
- inside playlist.txt write a list of locations of each mp3 file, each file location on a seperate line.

The actual mp3 files can be kept anywhere you like... any folder on your computer, or you can have them in your old esf 1.2.3 folder if you want.

Example: If you have your mp3s in a folder like "C: \music\mp3", then playlist.txt would contain something like:
Code:
C:\music\mp3\dragonforce_throughthefireandtheflames.mp3
C:\music\mp3\michaeljackson_thriller.mp3
C:\music\mp3\alterbridge_metalingus.mp3
C:\music\mp3\esf4.mp3
C:\music\mp3\宇多田ヒカル_passion.mp3
etc...

(ps. That's not my real playlist, just a few quickly entered random songs.
The fifth mp3 I wrote might not even work... I'm gonna go test that one now. :smile:)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had downloaded mp3 player off of halflife2 files, i had reformatted my computer yesterday and dont have 1.2.

its the original mp3 player but it only seems to work if the folder is changed to ESF instead of ESF_openbeta. the problem with that is that the game doesnt recognize it and the game wont connect to any servers.

what im asking is if theres something i need to alter in the mp3 folder (like the playlist editor or something) so that it reads from the openbeta folder instead of the esf folder

Mog

Best answers
Oh, I understand now, you are talking about the playlist editor.
ESF can play mp3's without the playlist editor.
All the playlist editor does is write the mp3 file locations in the playlist.txt file.

So you can run the playlist editor right?
and you can use it to find the mp3s you want to add, and then add them to the blank playlist?

The problem is probably saving the playlist. Use "Save As" not save. (use the "File" menu)
When the Save As window appears, go to the "esf_openbeta" folder, find the "mp3" folder (create it if it doesnt exist already).
Now for the filename, put: playlist.txt, and click save.

Now the open beta should play MP3s like normal... no need to rename any folders. :smile:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the playlist editor doesnt seem to work if its not in the ESF folder, while in the openbeta it just says: "couldnt find esf; this program exits now".

anyway to get it running?

Mog

Best answers
you're right, there's more to it than I thought.
I have esf 1.2.3 installed, and you don't.
I don't know why that should matter though...

You could just create the playlist.txt file yourself with notepad, and just put all the locations of the files in it like I said earlier?
I will still find out why the playlist editor doesn't work though. :)

-----
EDIT: LOL! I found out how to stop my one working... and now it doesn't work! and I don't know how to fix it... :rolleyes:

I've tried monitoring processes, file system and registry while launching it. I notice there seem to be other problems with the program too... buffer overflow for one.
Oh well, I never used it anyway... it's just as easy to just use windows notepad to edit playlist.txt...

@DaRkOwNs: good luck getting it to work... I'm not sure I will be able to either now. :(

Mog

Best answers
OK. I found out what the program wants now.
All you have to do is:
1. Create a blank "esf" folder. (where it would normally go if you had esf b1.2.3)
2. Inside this "esf" folder, create a blank "mp3" folder.
3. Inside this "mp3" folder, create a blank text file named "playlist.txt".

The program will now be pretty unhappy still, but it will be happy enough to actually run.

So you should have the following 3 files:
- esf\mp3\playlist.txt
- esf_openbeta\mp3\playlist.txt
- esf_openbeta\mp3\PlaylistEditor2_2.exe

And when you save the playlist, use "File -> Save As" method... and make sure you save to the right playlist file...
- esf_openbeta\mp3\playlist.txt

Everything should work fine now... I hope. :smile:

(I wonder if this counts as an Open Beta bug?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom