1.3 Graphics question.

Best answers
I logged on to the open beta yesterday and cranked up my resolution to the highest setting and looked at the graphics. Now my question is are the graphics not up to par with wat we've seen because its just open beta or are they the true graphics. The character models looked better but the map graphics weren't any better. And i guess since the animations havent yet been updated they still need alot of work. Basically what i want to know is are they gonna improve when the actual release comes out or is this it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I logged on to the open beta yesterday and cranked up my resolution to the highest setting and looked at the graphics. Now my question is are the graphics not up to par with wat we've seen because its just open beta or are they the true graphics. The character models looked better but the map graphics weren't any better. And i guess since the animations havent yet been updated they still need alot of work. Basically what i want to know is are they gonna improve when the actual release comes out or is this it.

Its Half Life what on earth do you expect >.>

Graphics like in Far Cry

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Our game runs on that engine, and since we're not going to hack the game with CG shaders and whatnot, the graphics won't change much from what they are now.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
That's because the ESF mappers are not as lazy as the half-life mappers :eek:.. *hides*

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't call valve's mappers lazy... They made the game targeting extremely low end machines. We're pushing the engine a bit more since we know the majority of you guys own computers that can run doom 3. Being so, we added extra things like 24 bit textures for levels, higher resolution textures and more polygons for our models, extensive particle system effects, etc etc...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They didn't target low end machines, as I recall, my machine which was doing quite well with Quake back then, could barely run HL1 when it came out. You could run it on a low end machine, but it showed with a vengance.

And by low end, I mean my P1 133MHz.

My Celeron 400a ran it much, much better.

HL1 is just the quake engine with some extra muscle.

Best answers
The only quibble I have about the graphics (which otherwise blew me away)
was the complete lack of detail textures (except for TOM, which was in the last beta anyway)

Is there a plan to include these?, they give everything a really nice psuedo-bump map feel, and would look pretty amazing in conjunction with the already detailed 1.3 textures.

Best answers
Well if this project has still been on the half life engine are there plans to maybe one day upgrade to the source engine? Cuz personally this game on the source engine would be incredible

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if this project has still been on the half life engine are there plans to maybe one day upgrade to the source engine? Cuz personally this game on the source engine would be incredible
Doing this game on a SOURCE engine it will teke about an other 3 to 5 years to make it much beter so not the team said HL 1 and that's Final I think esf on source will look and work like s... the game play will be slow (remeber guys hl 1 on those old pc ar like FEAR or something a new on your pc )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. ESF lives and dies on the HL engine, and there's no discussion about it. ESF will not be going to HL2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. ESF lives and dies on the HL engine, and there's no discussion about it. ESF will not be going to HL2.
As stated in the FAQ, which no one reads anymore ;(.

Anyway, I like the graphics of the game, no need to do more, because most people don't realize, it's GAMEPLAY that makes the game, not graphics. I still play Sega RPG's addictively.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HL1 is just the quake engine with some extra muscle.
Quake 2 to be exact.

I remember way back when I first got HL1 I couldn't play it on my laptop cause it wouldn't run it. Oh how people forget the days before pixel shaders and light bloom :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man I don't know if you've noticed, but the team has already FAR surpassed the capabilities of the HL1 Engine. I mean, giant maps, explosions, fast-paced melee....I know there's a limit to how much the engine can do, but they've pushed and pushed that limit with each new version.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, actually the maps aren't gigantic, the models are small, 50% of a normal HL model.
That's why pings over 100 make the game run very choppy.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, actually the maps aren't gigantic, the models are small, 50% of a normal HL model.
That's why pings over 100 make the game run very choppy.
Actually thats 25% of a normal HL model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom