Attention Losers @ ESF: It may not be your fault!!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I've just been playing ESF, literally a few minutes ago, and I realized something that was like a revelation:

It may not be your skill level, but your ping, that makes you suck at ESF.

At first I was playing a map that unbeknownst to me, was in Australia. I got my ass handed to me, everyone was inexplicably faster, and my game's reactions were sticky. It felt like a normal day in ESF, since I'm used to being owned by other players.

I asked by chance about this, and they told me it was because my ping was higher than theirs since they were all in Australia. Learning ths, I looked up a sver with the lowest ping, which was in the US.

The difference couldn't have been plainer. Instead of being annihilated, only pros were able to truly own me. I wasn't brilliant, but I could hang in there, especially since the reaction time was now seamless and I could always tell where my enemy was going. Unlike most ESF experiences, it was now actually...dare I say it...fun...NOT a piss-off fest! I took my own fair share of blugeonings, but it was all in good fun, and I didn't care!

So if you are also experienceing problems with ESF, learn the game in a server closest to you, and with a ping (latency) as low as possible! I promise it'll help you!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is...somewhat common knowledge. Someone with 100 ping vs someone with 0 ping at equal skiill levels if both had the same ping.....the one with 0 would obliterate.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if the ping goes over 200 - 250 i can't even swoop , and whenever i play on a server whit 200 ping they start saying that i am a noob because i can't swoopin them because of the ping

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF is extremely ping dependant. The higher your ping against who you're fighting the worse off you are. Though understand that if you get used to the ping (to an extent) you can be better than the person with lower ping. Gohan aka LoKi was a prime example. His ping was 80 in the Zr server I had 30 ping in the Zr server. He could still whoop my ass. SS is another example, he kicked europe's ass with 120 ping.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even with my usual 30-50 ping, pros with about 100 still beat me to death. I suppose pro vs pro it'd make a difference

Best answers
hmm, I wonder what i could do with a ping lower than 225....

(damn dialup)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
haha, you think your ping is bad? I live in South Africa with dial up, I get an average ping of 600 >< And there's only 1 south african server but there are hardly ever people in it :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless you played ESF 3 years ago, you have yet to play a 'fun' game of ESF.

Ping does affect a lot but that's true of any online game...it should be one of the first things you check before joining a server, really. Helps avoid a lot of that stuff.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ping does hurt, but amounts of latency, like around 100ms, can be compensated for if you are used to playing at that speed. For the longest time when I played EXF I only found servers that gave me 120-140 ping at the least and I was still quite capable of handling myself against the better players, but you really can feel the difference when you live next to the server. For the record 1.3 is designed to be played at or below 140 ms.

Best answers
true. latency has a big effect when joining, the only server i usually can come into that is under 200 is normally Drew's. most of the others i try to join are around 220 or higher. that and my crappy ping dont give much for response time, and i feel bad for lagging-up peoples servers too. but i love playing the game. so what can i do, i cant buy dsl, have a wife and 2 kids that need to eat first.

besides, i always thought that the latency of the server you were trying to connect to was directly related to the ping you already have when searching for servers? or am i wrong?

not a big deal, i just connect to lowest ones i can and have fun.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy, I'm assuming that's because ESF isn't coded as well, probably due to the fact that either the ESF team doesn't have the source code or the coders is less experiecned than a professional coder... Or both. Probably the lack of the source code though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
J-Dude said:
Alright, I've just been playing ESF, literally a few minutes ago, and I realized something that was like a revelation:

It may not be your skill level, but your ping, that makes you suck at ESF.

At first I was playing a map that unbeknownst to me, was in Australia. I got my ass handed to me, everyone was inexplicably faster, and my game's reactions were sticky. It felt like a normal day in ESF, since I'm used to being owned by other players.

I asked by chance about this, and they told me it was because my ping was higher than theirs since they were all in Australia. Learning ths, I looked up a sver with the lowest ping, which was in the US.

The difference couldn't have been plainer. Instead of being annihilated, only pros were able to truly own me. I wasn't brilliant, but I could hang in there, especially since the reaction time was now seamless and I could always tell where my enemy was going. Unlike most ESF experiences, it was now actually...dare I say it...fun...NOT a piss-off fest! I took my own fair share of blugeonings, but it was all in good fun, and I didn't care!

So if you are also experienceing problems with ESF, learn the game in a server closest to you, and with a ping (latency) as low as possible! I promise it'll help you!
Well of course the ping is a factor. I don't get why it's neccessary to bring it up anyway, most of us know about it, and those who don't will find out the first time they play online on a distant server.

Cho

Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
This is...somewhat common knowledge. Someone with 100 ping vs someone with 0 ping at equal skiill levels if both had the same ping.....the one with 0 would obliterate.

yet kai feels the need to brag everytime he defeats a us player in his OWN server... love dem "pro" euros.

Best answers
Hahahah J-dude!! You came to my server yay!!! Was I owning you??? :D :D

I can play ESF pretty good with a 130-140.Its not that bad...even 100 is just as good as 0 in my opinion.

And to answer Kidboys question..I think its something to do with the...Beams....If lots of people start to spam on the servers I get magor lags

On CS...everything is cool...but if you go throw a Smoke Grenade it'll lag you when you go through the smoke [Well that's what happens to me]...soo yer >_>

-GuZzie

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Guzzie a 100 ping is not the same as a 0 ping. Any good ESF player know's that.

I have to settle with a 75 ping at best :(
Unlike Guzzie here who has to settle with a 12 ping.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I use to be the Pwnage on PTGN (the only Australian server for esf that exists). I am stuck with dial up, so therefore I have to go to a net cafe to play online and get a good ping. I use to do that very often, untill the net cafe I use to go to went bust. For a while I could not play esf, except on occasions where I found I could paly at friend's houses (I remember that's probably the last time I could play at my best, on a pc with onboard gfx but cable, one thing sucked and yet ping was good).

I go to another net cafe now, I'm okay at playing esf, though I'm no where near at the level I could play at previously.

Mind you, PTGN runs saturday night mania, with mini-game style rules. We paly soccer with a small spirit bomb on a custom map that was made, disease tag, similar to playing tip (if you hit someone they become apart of your team, the last person left that hasn't been tipped/hit wins as far as I remember) and last but not least a pro tourny style match (rules relate to pro fights, melee and gen beams/balls/ki blasts only and no transes).

Only thing that sucks about our server is that the roll exploit is allowed to be used...

Best answers
Awww,poor poor poor Overlord.Yes my friends,Overlord used to be a gun at ESF
and his mummy ruined his dreams for becoming a 1337 ESF Player *Sigh* Parents sooo stoopid sometimes.

@Smeg....you smell....only n00bs rely on Ping >_< Ill show you Vids of Kai playing...he has a ping of like 90 and owns ppl that are your fighting level @ a 20 ping. Smelly Smeggy :) -Alliteration

-GuZzie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom