[Old PotW] Quick Update

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
⚡Sūpā Regula-jin
Best answers
Hi Guys, Sorry for the silence. Hopefully this will make up for it.

Here's what's been going on lately.

Mastasurf has added some animated buoys, an animated boat and a blimp to the Roshi Island map

Ryo has updated the grass shader

Darktooth is close to finishing his animation library which will help speed up animating the remaining models

Dalte has updated a bunch of the beam fx

Raven, Ryo, and Andy held a coding session 2 weeks ago and fixed the map change / map restart crash bug so hopefully now we can change maps with no problems

See you guys soon

Deverz

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no hope. No light. There is only despair.
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly folks? that's what you are wasting time on? an animated buoy? This is supposed to be an fast paced action game and you people
are focused on this? no wonder the game never gets finished, you guys must be baked or something to choose to work on things like that.

Sorry for being the ******* here, but you got to admit that this is BS.

I know this game is free and all, and that I have no right whatsoever to complain because of all the hard work that has gone into it but
honestely... where is this going? Sometimes I get the feeling this project is sisyphean in its nature.

Best answers
I do not see the issue with the devs wanting to make the maps feel more dynamic, besides these things they added seems to be one person doing it alone, they aren´t just pouring resources into making some animated objects in an ocean over the development of other stuff.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In defense of the animated buoys, it's not like Mastasurf is a programmer and doing this is hindering the mods progress or anything like that. He's doing 3d art, specifically level design. Adding life to the map is a part of the job.

Best answers
Ya you can't just decide to put everyone and do programming work, everyone has different skills, so even if it's something that will only improve the aesthetics of the game, it's still a plus.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Look, it is not that i'm saying that Mastasurf or anyone is doing a *bad* job, i'm just wondering if the focus is put on the right thing. sure, dynamic environments are nice but in my humble opinion details like these are the least of your concerns..

You can not disagree with me that this is a never-ending project. But feel free to prove me wrong!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Except having issues while programming i don't really think they have other concerns at all...
It's not like their priority is to make a mod for us.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Look, it is not that i'm saying that Mastasurf or anyone is doing a *bad* job, i'm just wondering if the focus is put on the right thing. sure, dynamic environments are nice but in my humble opinion details like these are the least of your concerns..

You can not disagree with me that this is a never-ending project. But feel free to prove me wrong!
Masta is a mapper, mappers make maps and add life to them. Roshi is his main project so he's going to spend most time on that.

Other than that he helps DT animate once DT sets up most of it for him. DJ-Ready and Layne do most of the other maps. DJ is apparently back now but Layne is mostly busy with more important things

If Raven was making buoys then I would understand the anger but this week he's been working on hit detection bugs. Bonus bit of news for you there

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
⚡Sūpā Regula-jin
Best answers
I have a question
How many models to be done?, How many maps, and how many things have to be done?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
⚡Sūpā Regula-jin
Best answers
Half or less? There is a chance for release beta game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Best answers
There is no point asking questions like that, won't change anything, the game is still in development , so it will be released when it's fully done, and btw better have maps with life , instead of having big map with 1 tree lol

Best answers
So I've been watching this mods progress for over 6 years now. I check back now and then to see how final is coming along. Now I have made a forum profile in order to ask three simple questions.

Animated buoys after a long silence? What the **** are you guys smoking? How many more buoys need to be added before the game is complete?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
So I've been watching this mods progress for over 6 years now. I check back now and then to see how final is coming along. Now I have made a forum profile in order to ask three simple questions.

Animated buoys after a long silence? What the **** are you guys smoking? How many more buoys need to be added before the game is complete?
Over 9000?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think they do both at thesame time.

Best answers
Honestly I am not going to complain, the thing is, every person in the development team has a task, just because someone is working on one particular thing does not mean that the other things that need to be worked on are being put to the side.
Basically what's happening here is that there are a lot of things that need to be done, and there some tasks that can not be done on the present because they have a particular a order, like task X needs to be done before task Y for example.

But going straight to the point, all I want right now is just footage, I do not care in particular when the game is being released or not, I just want footage of how the game is changing in comparison to 1.2.3, I want to see the changes, how the combat evolves over time and all the different things that get added.

I remember watching an Attack Effects Showcase video that showed a couple of different beam moves and it was really interesting to see how they would affect the background, the explosions, water effects, the grass moving and all sorts of things, this is the type of thing I want to see more, actual ingame footage showing actual combat, techniques or how the characters power ups, transformations, etc interact with the world around them.

Some guy from 2010
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
But going straight to the point, all I want right now is just footage, I do not care in particular when the game is being released or not, I just want footage of how the game is changing in comparison to 1.2.3, I want to see the changes, how the combat evolves over time and all the different things that get added.
The problem with that is there's really no point.

There is really nothing left that needs to be said about the game before its release. There isn't any sort of key information about the nature of the final product that isn't already in a video somewhere. We have a pretty darn close look at what the visuals are going to be like. We know (down to the default key bindings even) what the game's mechanics and pace are going to be. We have a pretty good idea of how much spectacle the game is going to offer. The entire character roster has been confirmed for us. We know scale of the stages, and just how much interactivity their going to have. The only things that the devs have left to communicate to us is that they are still working on it, and this does that just fine.

There was a need to keep releasing these trailers when the bar of quality kept rising, and the projected final project kept changing. If we're going to be real though, none of these factors have changed in a few years, and they certainly aren't going to before release. There is no need to restate what has already been stated about the game in quite a few videos that the team has made for us. Releasing promotional content for this game just starts an expectation for more videos. More videos only imply that the game is close to release, and that's probably not a promise that the devs want to make right now.

Hype is fun; I will admit, but it is a double edged sword. Hype relies on there being something to actually be a thing to stop the hype from being nothing more than a lie, and the game is just not in the state for that right now.

Also people complaining about wasting dev time on a buoy, while also complaining that they haven't wasted dev time on videos is hilarious

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom