Terrain Destruction'ish?

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Possible to have a Terrain texture destruction? For example, you crash into the ground and just a texture shows up for like cracks on the ground, or possible Crator's and as soon
soon you get up, they will just fade away? Is this possible or already going to be added, Just wondering. Due to all the hacking to a half life source, this game looks super good detail,
im pretty sure you guy's can make a simple crator and fade away after the character somewhat stands back up, etc.

I mean, after all the year's this may take to be even released, this may be somethen to add...

Last edited:
I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I believe there are some ground texture - destruction effects ( e.g beam hits ground ). But i think they removed the ground sliding destruction effect, because it was difficult from the cpu stress aspect(fix me if i'm wrong here).

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
It shouldnt be that CPU Stressful lol, What they need to do is like make like a texture appear above the terrain making it look like rocks from hitting the ground, add some cracks, etc, then make it fade away. Since they fade away, they can just be a non-solid object.. If its CPU Stressful, then they can just add a Tickable Option, to enable this..

Edit: Here's a video of what i "sorta" mean, This is off RuneScape 3, But here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nwGsHbxqs

Just watch the end of the video, somethen like that is what i mean.

Last edited:
I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think it was stressful, because of the fact that, when you slide on the ground, the sprite will appear each time you go forward, that could easily lead to 1000 sprites per 1 meter or so.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I don't mean sliding on the ground, thats different lol, i mean when you fly into the ground by getting tossed

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
But still, how do you define, if you're tossed in the ground or sliding ? Because there's 50% probability that you will slide after you're tossed into ground. Well i really don't know. Probably lets wait when someone with more knowledge answers this (though i think this topic was discussed before)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would imagine it would be easy to implement a texture decal for when you get knocked into the ground, but I'm sure the team has other priorities right now. I could probably see something like that eventually being in ESF, if it isn't already now.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

This screenshot is from 2010 (Moddb page). If they could do it back then i guess it's safe to assume they can do it now too.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yea decals are in the game. They are a tad glitched though. Still need to fix that.

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
Decals existed even in HL1, when you could spray those funky logos almost everywhere. The same technique can easily be applied by mimicing environment. The actual destruction (like craters as you said) requires much more work, as it changes the collisions and the mesh itself. At least for me, the one that seems most easy is height map manipulation, but there are a lot of various destruction methods, that you can read on Raven's thesis. Currently engine was binded to support Phsyx which technically allows everything, but it's very hard to say how sufficient it can be. It definitely requires a lot of testing whatsoever.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Well heightmap manipulation won't work in ESF since we don't use heightmaps^^ (what sometimes kicks me into rage mode)

Legacy
★ Black Lounger ★
Discord Member
Best answers
I know ESF doesn't use height maps, Ryokeen, but I think it's kind of easy and tried to give an example to the guy, heh.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Decals existed even in HL1, when you could spray those funky logos almost everywhere. The same technique can easily be applied by mimicing environment. The actual destruction (like craters as you said) requires much more work, as it changes the collisions and the mesh itself. At least for me, the one that seems most easy is height map manipulation, but there are a lot of various destruction methods, that you can read on Raven's thesis. Currently engine was binded to support Phsyx which technically allows everything, but it's very hard to say how sufficient it can be. It definitely requires a lot of testing whatsoever.
I don't mean destructing the terrain mesh, I mean just adding textures above the terrain to make it look like an crater, I posted a video about this on the topic, make sure to check that out, cause it pretty much says what im talking about..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom