An open letter to Namco Bandai: LET ESF IN!

Would the ESF team being a part of Namco Bandai's DBZ team be a good thing?

• Oh yes!

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Ah.. HELL NAW!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I was thinking about doing it y'know. But I thought: What would happen if it all went down and actually happened? Would the team have to scrap everything involved with the Half-Life engine and effectively rebuild the game from the ground up? Would a console release be mandatory? Would Dark Vegeta ever stop ripping off ESF's youtube videos? There are allot of unknowns on the subject. So I've decided to post here and would like feed-back and criticism on what you all think.

First, here is my idea of the letter to the company.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello, I'm just a long time fan who first took notice of your wonderful company's talents back when I first got my Sega Dreamcast. I've thoroughly enjoyed the many amazing experiences Namco Bandai has developed and published throughout the years since our first shared experience, Gundam: Side Story 0079: Rise From the Ashes.

I was not sure how to get in contact with someone directly and am a little reluctant to do so outright, but I would hope that these words reach the eyes of someone who understands where I'm coming from.

My name is Andrew Puffer, and your titles have bolstered the bulk of my library for more than a decade, ranging from the classic Armored Core titles, to the many extraordinary fighting games you've released, from Naruto, and Soul Calibur, to Tekken, and Dragon Ball Z.

This message is in regards to the latter of aforementioned series. Among them all the Dragon Ball Z titles have been my favorite, and I can say that I have honestly owned every single one that has been published by you in the United States. But as a die-hard fan, I couldn't help but take notice how in the last decade this franchise has taken a turn for the worst. First suffering from inventiveness in the Raging Blast titles, to the lack of player freedom the Ultimate Tenkaichi(which in my personal and honest opinion didn't live up to the name) game suffered.

The latest installment 'Battle of Z' seems to follow in the trading of one list of mixed and lost directions for another, lacking the intensity, player freedom, and outright potential the franchise is capable of. Each game has had respectable qualities but are over shadowed by how they've been handled, and I fear that if the current state of things goes on, the franchise will fade into the back of people's minds.

Primarily, I wanted to make you aware(if you weren't already) of a small unlicensed development team that has been making strives in innovation on a remarkable Dragon Ball Z themed project called Earth's Special Forces. The premise, is a game that offers complete player freedom in how they handle their character, and unlike most Dragon Ball Z titles in the past, brings the full abilities of some of the universes most iconic characters to light with no restrictions. The small team has been working on this single project for over a decade, but show a great potential in how they've reimagined the franchise.

I humbly urge, that IF the time and consideration could be spared, that you take notice of these wonderfully talented individuals and their imaginative take on the franchise. I personally thank you, and all of Namco Bandai for all the wonderful games, and ideas you've populated the world with thus far, and look forward to the many more you will unveil in the coming decades.

Sincerely, Andrew Puffer

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Maybe a little too... _______<(insert word here) I know. But lets play IRL for a moment.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
uh, can we not give ESF attention from the big companies that could actually get this game shut down

The very best there is.
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
If you don't poke the copyright holders, they can pretend not to notice. Otherwise, well... you're just asking for it.

Why did u just read this?
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well, idk I don't guess that this would be a nice idea....I mean sure the possibility is that Namco Bandai will accept it and help them eventually out, but on the other hand, if they disagree and want to stop the progress of the mod.Yeah i guess u know what i mean, then ESF will NEVER be released as final version, I stick to the option to wait till we got more information about the game and wait till it's released.

Thats only my opinion.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
ESF wouldn't be considered because it'd be near-impossible to have it on consoles. No potential for console release = no potential for appealing to more casual audiences = significantly less money than what was probably projected.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure, except for all those casual games on Steam. I would totally understand the tip toeing if this were the height of the mods popularity and would be devastating to have shut down, but not now. Not when there's barely a chance of it even being finished. Trying to get it greenlit would be the best first step in actually taking it further. But nah, that would be work with a clear end goal.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Barely a chance of it ever being finished? The development process is slow, but let's be real here, the game is clearly going to eventually be finished. You guys have to remember that this is just a mod being developed during people's free time, not a game that they're being paid to finish. Not only is manpower an issue for the team, but real life in general is a pretty big issue. People are getting married, having kids, and just simply are busy with work or school. It sucks, but it's the reality of things.

Best answers
Barely a chance of it ever being finished? The development process is slow, but let's be real here, the game is clearly going to eventually be finished. You guys have to remember that this is just a mod being developed during people's free time, not a game that they're being paid to finish. Not only is manpower an issue for the team, but real life in general is a pretty big issue. People are getting married, having kids, and just simply are busy with work or school. It sucks, but it's the reality of things.
and there it is, the ugly, ugly truth.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
I think it's plausible that once it is released, and there is this huge upsurge of popularity, a company like that could see it as a threat to business and have it put down. OR... take'em in like valve did the team that was originally developing portal. It could go either way maybe. Nothing ventured nothing lost, or gained. However it's ajh,k. kind of pet project, and since no money is being made off the game they couldn't really shut it down any more than they could shut down team four star's DBZ: Abridged series.

Little paranoia going on round here. But I can dig conspiracy theories.

@ Damaera: I'm pretty sure anyone who actually frequents these forums realizes that, though the majority seem to stay pretty aloof, despite how feedback tends to backlash around here.

If the ESForces team got the manpower and resources(and still kept the game in it's PC only state), we would probably see a much bigger game than what's already in progress. I can only imagine what great ideas have had to of been removed from the grid because of a lack of... something or another. It's hard not to think about destruction but, that would ruin all the hard work the environmental artists and mappers put into them glorious landscapes.

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's actually -because- of all those facts that I make the assumption that it probably won't be finished. That and the almost non-existent direction that it goes in. The games been completely reworked like 3 times and the last time I had actually gotten any info from the team, they spent more time testing out possible new features than working on the actual game. So much time seems to be taken to making it look good that I don't believe there's much of a game behind it. The only gameplay peeks we get are at this extremely short, probably pre-planned sequences and that makes me think that they just aren't getting anywhere with it. It's taken a lot less than those problems to completely ruin professionally made games.

There's nothing wrong with real life getting in the way and causing the eventual failure of a side project. I'm just saying that's what is more than likely happening. My main problem with the refusal to take anything with the mod public is that it just shows that there's no real passion, dedication, or motivation to continue.

What you have on your desktop is possibly one of the most unique, fun, competitive, and challenging games ever made (owing to it's simplicity, which is why I'm generally against new features) and it pretty much goes to waste because 4 or 5 people are afraid someone will tell them to politely stop.

Last edited:
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It's actually -because- of all those facts that I make the assumption that it probably won't be finished. That and the almost non-existent direction that it goes in. The games been completely reworked like 3 times and the last time I had actually gotten any info from the team, they spent more time testing out possible new features than working on the actual game. So much time seems to be taken to making it look good that I don't believe there's much of a game behind it. The only gameplay peeks we get are at this extremely short, probably pre-planned sequences and that makes me think that they just aren't getting anywhere with it. It's taken a lot less than those problems to completely ruin professionally made games.

There's nothing wrong with real life getting in the way and causing the eventual failure of a side project. I'm just saying that's what is more than likely happening. My main problem with the refusal to take anything with the mod public is that it just shows that there's no real passion, dedication, or motivation to continue.

What you have on your desktop is possibly one of the most unique, fun, competitive, and challenging games ever made (owing to it's simplicity, which is why I'm generally against new features) and it pretty much goes to waste because 4 or 5 people are afraid someone will tell them to politely stop.
Well, despite real life, the people on the team are still working on the project. Not as fast as they want to I'm sure, but things are definitely still being done. The only real thing anyone can really say about it is just to wait, as shitty as it sounds. Artists and people who fit other roles will come and go and help complete ESF over time. I also don't think it's fair to say that they pretty much have no direction to go in, despite how some of you guys don't seem to think this is the case. Yes, they have re-done the game multiple times, but I'm pretty sure the last time it was actually re-done (as in, all the gameplay ideas reworked) was when things were still being planned for the final release. I know you didn't have the opportunity to be around most of that while you had issues, but you were certainly on the testing squad for a period when things were still being planned. I obviously can't speak for the team since I'm not a team member or tester anymore, but I'm confident that things are going in a direction they want it to without having to rework the mechanics of the game once again.

As for the team trying too hard to make the game look pretty and there not being much gameplay, I don't think this is true at all. The melee seems to be pretty complete, with the only real issues are having a lack of animations and some bugs, both of which unfortunately make the team not want to show any of it off. I still don't get why they're hesitant about showing off things like melee, because in the end, despite things being/looking buggy, it will do more good than harm by showing stuff like that off imo. I would also imagine there are times where they have nothing else to do but make the game look pretty, simply because they have to wait for someone else to complete something before they can move on to something like a gameplay mechanic.

If your last bit is related to getting professional help or emailing Atari or whatever, it simply won't work. I can almost guarantee ESF will get shutdown if it attracts unwanted attention, especially if it's going to involve money or big companies. I'm pretty sure that the whole team is against something like that.

The very best there is.
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
I think it's plausible that once it is released, and there is this huge upsurge of popularity, a company like that could see it as a threat to business and have it put down.
Certainly. But what would they be able to do about it once it's spread? C&D half the world?

Why did u just read this?
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
If your last bit is related to getting professional help or emailing Atari or whatever, it simply won't work. I can almost guarantee ESF will get shutdown if it attracts unwanted attention, especially if it's going to involve money or big companies. I'm pretty sure that the whole team is against something like that.
I agree.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Certainly. But what would they be able to do about it once it's spread? C&D half the world?
That's why I'm preparing a package that will end ESF before 1.3 can be released. Gotta be proactive about these kinds of things.

Best answers
Even I know how to make money from esf-final once it will be released (for myself). Shame, esf team has clever coders, but not clever enough to make good money from this project:)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Enishi - the fact is without a license NOONE can make money off it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Had they simply created their own characters, they'd be rolling in donations.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
What's great with the BFP model is you can create a bunch of really shitty characters, and then create "custom models" that happen to be dbz characters. Now it suddenly isn't a dbz game. Know what I mean? Guys? Guys?

What I'm saying is make shitty characters, change the names for all of the attacks, and then release a custom pack consisting of dbz models. In the meantime, rake in donations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom