Some updates about the game?

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
Hey, I've been waiting for this game to come out for a few years now(probably since 2005-6), and I guess its probably a thread you see a lot and it might be annoying, but can you guys please give some information about the overall process? for example from 1-100%(which 100% is of course ready to release) what is the % right now? what things are done and what things need to be done? any approximate release date?
Thanks in advance :)

Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The main reason you or anyone else will never get a percentage or an estimated release date is because development is in a constant state of flux. New features get added in when felt necessary, new bugs pop up at moments notice, and game designing in general is extremely time consuming. Add real life liabilities and you never know how long anything will take. You just grind on doing the best you can with what you have.

As for what is remaining, from what I remember they had models that needed completing and other UI features that they needed people for.

If you want them to finish faster, shoot the devs a PM showcasing your skillset and help them yourself. Be the change you want to see.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
The main reason you or anyone else will never get a percentage or an estimated release date is because development is in a constant state of flux. New features get added in when felt necessary, new bugs pop up at moments notice, and game designing in general is extremely time consuming. Add real life liabilities and you never know how long anything will take. You just grind on doing the best you can with what you have.

As for what is remaining, from what I remember they had models that needed completing and other UI features that they needed people for.

If you want them to finish faster, shoot the devs a PM showcasing your skillset and help them yourself. Be the change you want to see.
First thanks for the fast and good explained answer..
I know you can't really tell how to process goes, but I think you can estimate or give at least well known things, im pretty sure you can guarantee that 10% of the whole process is done and I just want to know where +- the develop is standing.
anyway, about helping with the making, it will be a great honor helping, but im not really sure in what way I can, I guess you have enough beta testers or w/e and as for coding,developing,design, I have no experience and knowledge so I can't really help with that.. :\
but I'll try to contact them and see if there's anything I can do.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
First thanks for the fast and good explained answer..
I know you can't really tell how to process goes, but I think you can estimate or give at least well known things, im pretty sure you can guarantee that 10% of the whole process is done and I just want to know where +- the develop is standing.
anyway, about helping with the making, it will be a great honor helping, but im not really sure in what way I can, I guess you have enough beta testers or w/e and as for coding,developing,design, I have no experience and knowledge so I can't really help with that.. :\
but I'll try to contact them and see if there's anything I can do.
You can have 10% done till you add in 20 new features and that 10% becomes 5%. Then you decide to take out a few features and it becomes 8%.

I am no more
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
You can have 10% done till you add in 20 new features and that 10% becomes 5%. Then you decide to take out a few features and it becomes 8%.
You can't get any more precise than that.
Last week I predicted that i will texture something by this weekend, ended up texturing only less than half of it :p . You never know what problems you will get into or something.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Since you're going to keep getting the run around, I'll give it to you straight.

They don't know how far they are, because they don't have a regimented plan. There's a reason this mod has taken so long, and it isn't because its the most efficient, smooth-running machine on the road. You're better off checking in every 6 months to see what's up than trying to get a play by play of molasses. By the time it's finally ready for consumption, it'll either be delicious or rotten. Nothing you can do in either scenario.

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
He pretty much nailed it on the head. It's about equal chances all around for the mod to 1. Finish, release, and be awesome. 2. Finish, release, and be nowhere near good enough to be worth the 10 year wait. and 3. just not finish.

Those of us that are active on the forum are only still here because of the incredibly unique game that it is/was, and the fact that we don't want to just throw away people we've known since childhood.

Best answers
sorry if I sound rude, but what where you doing all those years, not even GTA took that long

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I can just tell you this: 77% of 314 tasks completed. 132 open tasks on our todo list. As the other have stated before, it might be less next week depending on how many bugs are found, new features planned or dropped. This value can change at any time.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
thanks for your answers

Force Pit Member
Best answers
sorry if I sound rude, but what where you doing all those years, not even GTA took that long
Considering this is done by volunteers in their free time and GTA generally has large teams+budgets behind them(with GTA V having cost $115 million in development with hundreds upon hundreds of staff), I'm sure you can see why you sound fairly ignorant.

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
If you give me roughly $100.000 per developer a year and a team of 20 of them I'll finish the project in less than 3months.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I can just tell you this: 77% of 314 tasks completed. 132 open tasks on our todo list. As the other have stated before, it might be less next week depending on how many bugs are found, new features planned or dropped. This value can change at any time.
Could you give us an idea of how the remaining tasks are split? Eg: 30 Tasks - Animation; 2 Tasks - Mapping; 100 Tasks - Bugs? Would be cool to know.

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That still wouldn't help you much some single tasks take more time than 30 others combined.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
That still wouldn't help you much some single tasks take more time than 30 others combined.
Yeah, I totally get that. 1 Animation could take much much longer than sorting out a bug.. or vice-versa. I'm just curious as to how many of the remaining tasks fall into which category, if we are privy to that information that is.

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I would have to take some time and sort that out. Maybe Deverz can do that if he feels like it.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Would be cool. ^_^

Maybe help minimize threads asking "how far is it?"

Force Pit Member
Best answers
That would be cool of course, I think that nobody in the community would subject to get more insider information about the project, however we are super lucky to have gotten some form of number. Thanks Raven and keep up the good work! :D

Best answers
Considering this is done by volunteers in their free time and GTA generally has large teams+budgets behind them(with GTA V having cost $115 million in development with hundreds upon hundreds of staff), I'm sure you can see why you sound fairly ignorant.
If you give me roughly $100.000 per developer a year and a team of 20 of them I'll finish the project in less than 3months
Ok, I just want you to know that I really know that you dont get any money, and I really appriciate your work. Gta had so many who worked on it because its alot bigger than ESF

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Black Mesa has been worked on since HL:S's release. They released their mod recently. Why not do a 1.4 Beta with all current bugs and what not as a preview so we understand what exactly is wrong with the game as of now. If work force is a problem, openly ask for help in reddit or other game development forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom