[Old PotW] GIVE ME YOUR ENERGY!!!

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

I call up on the trees and the water; the sun, the moon and the stars. The plants and the animals and all the living things. Let me share your power.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The HUD looks really nice! The only issues I have with it are the charge bar, the color of it and the crosshair, and the size of everything. What if you possibly added a section to the main part of the HUD that would have a charge bar, rather than having it in its old position or the middle of the screen near the crosshair?

I also still think that the textures in this map are a little too realistic!

Best answers
The HUD looks really nice! The only issues I have with it are the charge bar, the color of it and the crosshair, and the size of everything. What if you possibly added a section to the main part of the HUD that would have a charge bar, rather than having it in its old position or the middle of the screen near the crosshair?

I also still think that the textures in this map are a little too realistic!
Realism, is actually quite awesome, and nothing bad about it

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome screenshot. I really love the look of the hud, although there are two things I want to bring up.

The first is to reiterate what Damaera said, the crosshair and chargebar are WAAAAAY too light. They're going to be damn near invisible if you have a brighter map or skybox.

Secondly, I think the hud could do a better job explaining what everything is. This is a pretty unique game, no one knows what CF stands for, or what ST stands for, and I'm even dubious about KI. The PL number is also there without any explanation. I don't see why it shouldn't be more descriptive, there shouldn't be any room for confusion.

Get rid of the CF and replace it with the words Change Form (or ideally, Transform Meter or something) above the bar.
Get rid of ST and replace it with Stamina above or below that bar
KI might be fine, but I'd replace it with the words energy
The PL number is without any explanation. I'm not sure how to communicate this, but something should be done. There's a bit of room in the KI bar, might just be able to write PL: 750.000
HP is common enough that it's fine

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I've seen too many people ask what the information on the hud means. No one has any idea when they first start out.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Realism, is actually quite awesome, and nothing bad about it
I never said the textures were bad or anything like that. I actually like it, but it just doesn't seem to really match style of the textures in the other maps.

--- edit ---

As a side note, I had no idea what CF stood for until like 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
@Sub

I think they should replace it with the word TF as trans-form instead of using a long word because they don't have anywhere else to put transform though. Plus there should be a Senzu bean bar. Why didn't they just put it at the top like make a icon senzu bean bag and the numbers right beside it and create a bean icon in the selection bar where the melee and the beam is at?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The fact that this is GoldSrc seriously makes me amazed.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
not in the manga

pic sucks, gameplay sucks, you're all fired and lose hawaiian shirt day

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Don't really dig the angles and camera positions overall that some of the updates showcased, they feel a bit forced and unnatural, like the 45 degree fixated camera to the left in some swooping clips I've seen over the routine update checks I've done in past 2 years - in games like Dead Space, it works - here ? Feels unnatural. I know that you didn't stray from old 1.2 camera system, so it just strikes me weird whenever you release a update that showcases a locked camera on a really strange degree. Artistic expression and whatnot, still, felt like I needed to say it. Other than that, looking great.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most of the camera angles in potw are posed

The camera has a fair bit of functionality in it

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Most of the camera angles in potw are posed

The camera has a fair bit of functionality in it
I know everything, don't worry. Quite frankly I just posted for the sake of posting and expressed my dislike for the angles some of shots and vids were taken by their respective showcasers. Call me a grumpy consumer if you will :D

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
*_* The only thing that bothers are the textures, because on the hills it's realistic, but on the ground near the water it's not. But relatively speaking this is AMAZING :D

Best answers
I'm guessing the light from the spirit bomb is why the water at Goku's feet is so bright, it's very beautiful. Will you please tell me which map this is? Goku's hairdo from the back looks funny <.< I also like the textures on the back of Goku's calves theres alot of detail in it.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*_* The only thing that bothers are the textures, because on the hills it's realistic, but on the ground near the water it's not. But relatively speaking this is AMAZING :D
I believe that's due to the screenshotter's Graphics Setting. Probably there's a level of detail setting for textures which defines the distance they start to load.

2D god
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Awesome screenshot. I really love the look of the hud, although there are two things I want to bring up.

The first is to reiterate what Damaera said, the crosshair and chargebar are WAAAAAY too light. They're going to be damn near invisible if you have a brighter map or skybox.

Secondly, I think the hud could do a better job explaining what everything is. This is a pretty unique game, no one knows what CF stands for, or what ST stands for, and I'm even dubious about KI. The PL number is also there without any explanation. I don't see why it shouldn't be more descriptive, there shouldn't be any room for confusion.

Get rid of the CF and replace it with the words Change Form (or ideally, Transform Meter or something) above the bar.
Get rid of ST and replace it with Stamina above or below that bar
KI might be fine, but I'd replace it with the words energy
The PL number is without any explanation. I'm not sure how to communicate this, but something should be done. There's a bit of room in the KI bar, might just be able to write PL: 750.000
HP is common enough that it's fine

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I've seen too many people ask what the information on the hud means. No one has any idea when they first start out.
Good point Sub! I'll try to talk to Raven about it, but I didn't see him online lately.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Serious post: I agree with Sub wholeheartedly. Especially with the crosshairs. A huge problem in 1.2 (aside from being terrible) was the advance melee arrows. If you were in a map with daylight you wouldn't be able to see them unless you aimed your camera down, and if someone spammed beams on the two in the melee you couldn't see them. When I was a tester, I suggested to have them as a double outline (with black outside the white areas) and PcJoe brushed it off and it was ignored. Stuff like that is hilariously bad in how it effects the game and I'm glad we now have a PR guy and new devs who take this stuff into consideration.

Also super seconding the abbreviations on the HUD. Even though everything is technically WIP, it's bullshit if you have to go onto the forums or something to get an understanding of things.

All that aside, the map looks great. I'm just happy we get to see something different than that one grassy cell games map that's in 90% of the screenies.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can suggest (Maybe even attempt to design) a newbie friendly HUD which has things spelt out rather than abbreviated

All HUD's are WIP so working with the visibility shouldn't be an issue

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Invert-blend filter on cursor. Change text. Biblical disaster averted. Move on and admire other aesthetics.

I'm sure many such issues surrounding the HUD are not new to the team (I raised many of them myself over a year ago when redesigning the custom HUD system and making the draft for this HUD, and I second Eons sobel filter idea [combined with blend mode]) - give the team some credit. These are hardly pressing matters when the maps are not remotely finished. There are multiple HUDs, and the ability to make your own if you are of little faith.

Anyways, -really- glad to see this map in some glory, the way the light diffuses into the water is quite beautiful. I am also particularly interested in the 'shore FX' on the beach.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I might have to take a short clip of a beach next week or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom