ESF Team...

Legendary Super Saiyan
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Ok I am thinking about joining the team and I was wondering what you guys would need the most? Environment Artist, 3d Artist, Modeler, Coder etc... Cause what I was gonna do was if you needed one of the Jobs you need., I was going to learn how to do everything about it then join the team so I am not useless at all. Plus I have a **** ton of Free Time. About a Couple hours on weekdays and almost the whole day on Weekends (Unless Im going somewhere). Also I know I need some expierience of modding so I will get to work on that for whatever Job you require at the moment. If you are all set with Jobs then I shall not be needed.

Last edited:
Swag
๐ŸŒˆ Beta Tester
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
There are testers and developers, the testing squad has nothing to do with your modding skills. So far as I know at least.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Pick something you think you'll like and focus all of your energies on that.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok I am thinking about joining the team and I was wondering what you guys would need the most? Environment Artist, 3d Artist, Modeler, Coder etc... Cause what I was gonna do was if you needed one of the Jobs you need., I was going to learn how to do everything about it then join the team so I am not useless at all. Plus I have a **** ton of Free Time. About a Couple hours on weekdays and almost the whole day on Weekends (Unless Im going somewhere). Also I know I need some expierience of modding so I will get to work on that for whatever Job you require at the moment. If you are all set with Jobs then I shall not be needed.
show yours works...and them ask for jobs

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Not to stop you from learning how to do something, but by the time you learn how to efficiently create up to par content, the mod will be out. As Sub said, pick something and stick with it, but don't expect to get a spot on the team quickly if you're just starting to learn.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
You need to find something that you are passionate about, just learning to do something doesnt mean it'll be great. You have to want it to be great, its that extra niche that makes the quality product. Try out every aspect that you want to experience, then narrow it down to what you want to passionately do. Otherwise, you'd be wasting your free time.

ESF Old Timer
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
In my opinion is the same with DT.
But then again if you allready know you need some exp. you should have some stuff to show us here as well.
So lets see what you got.
Then let the team decide if your good enough. What you think of that??
Oh yeah and come with at least 10 designs thats 100% compleet so the impression with the team can be made or not lol.

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually a clone of DT would be pretty neat :smile:

Legendary Super Saiyan
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Then I shall learn how to code. Ill get to work on it sometime during the weekend.

โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
DT is an animator. :p

Only go forward sideways
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
I think animation takes crazy amounts of time to get into because you need SO much experience with how things move in real life and replicating movement I think is a hard thing to do because it has to feel natural and not out of place. I should think it also takes crazy amounts of time to get it looking right even for an experienced Animator. Also, I'm not sure if in the modding tools they use for the Half-Life engine that they have a real-time compiler because of its age, which means you would have to make the animation then compile it, then view it, then adjust it and recompile it so on so forth which is LONG.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
I think animation takes crazy amounts of time to get into because you need SO much experience with how things move in real life and replicating movement I think is a hard thing to do because it has to feel natural and not out of place. I should think it also takes crazy amounts of time to get it looking right even for an experienced Animator. Also, I'm not sure if in the modding tools they use for the Half-Life engine that they have a real-time compiler because of its age, which means you would have to make the animation then compile it, then view it, then adjust it and recompile it so on so forth which is LONG.
DT always dances around before he starts working with the animations. So he can get the feeling.

ESF Old Timer
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
@ elite marine: you gonna start to learn coding ok up to you but for what?
When you know all about C++ the game has been released allready.
Still dont forget about the experiance you need.

But maybe you can start to learn .amx as a first base.
For example try to make some good looking characters for ECX with CCI that came along with it.
There all transformation, sounds, FX and attacks has to be coded as well.
And there is a good tutorial.
Then if you dont have any experiance in coding yet you will get it a bit from there.
Then learning C++ would go a bit easier because you know some basics.

Project Manager
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
In theory one could learn how to do a map till we release. Or well we have a couple of applicants who struggle with their trial tasks, feel free to be one of them and show us that you are a fast learner.

sub

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I feel like if you want to work on other mod projects and not ESF, learning to program is probably the best route. Mod projects without a programmer, and there are a lot of them -- they tend to go nowhere. If you want to release a mod or a game that you're working on with other people for free, the only person you can really rely on to get things done is yourself, so that means, in my mind, that the most important role (or at least the role that's hardest to fill) should be delegated to yourself.

I don't know how much the ESF team needs programmers, and it might not be possible to become sufficient enough at it to help the team out before the game actually releases, but I'm really making wild guesses here.

How do you plan on learning how to program? I'd say that you should buy a good book instead of relying on online websites. I have 'sam's teach yourself c++ in an hour a day' and 'c++ primer plus', which both cover the same stuff, c++ primer plus probably being the better book but slightly harder to understand at times, but yeah, you should definitely get a good book. I've read other people saying that accelerated c++ is a good book, too. http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/. And you need to be practicing what you're reading to reinforce what you've learned and make sure you understand the concepts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom