Geo Mod Technology

Best answers
hey is it anywhere possible to implement Geo Mod into ESF or Half-Life's engine in general?

and for those that dont know this is Geo Mod:

Geo-Mod Technology
Geo-Mod technology is, in short, a great piece of technologically advanced code that enables players to fully destroy objects and environments randomly and fully each time they try. Geo-Mod stands for "Geometric Modification," which really means lots of stuff blows up in realtime. Here's how it works: With a rocket launcher in hand players can blast through hundreds of feet of tunnels into rock walls and, given enough ammo, can create long enough passages that one can no longer see out of the hole he or she created. Woah. Giant stalactites can be picked away at in underwater caverns until they come crashing down onto the ocean floor like icicles. Or, thin rock walls can be pummeled to dust, revealing hidden corridors, extra ammo, or enemies ready to shoot at you. In short, Geo-Mod technology opens up an insane level of fun, but it also is incorporated into the gameplay so that the game actually plays much differently than other games.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's been discussed before. It would take to much time and effort to move to "DBZ happy" engines at this point, like QIII, Torque, GeoMod or Ghoul.

HL has a huge player base as well . . . there are more HL players than Red Faction players . . .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dont think he means change the engine but incorporate the Geo-Mod technology into the current esf stuff and the Half-Life engine. I personally would love to see that would be prityty cool.

BrunO

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by BrunO
I dont think he means change the engine but incorporate the Geo-Mod technology into the current esf stuff and the Half-Life engine. I personally would love to see that would be prityty cool.

BrunO

no that would just be hard to do, and it would suck anyway, multiplayer would not have much geomod since lag would be a prob thats why on red faction on thr multiplayer maps theys like one wall u can blow up 1inch of it:S

Best answers
see the thing is that it is possible to have MUCH more it is just that most people dont have fast computers which I think sucks and if Geo Mod was ever put in ESF there could be a option to disable it

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That would be so sweet! It would make it completely more realistic in terms of the show, to be able to blast a big bang 500 feet through a wall... Is it a server side thing? Or would ESF have to incorporate it into the code? And would it cause lag to create giant holes all over the map?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that would be impossible, absolutely!!
i'm a mapper and i can't imagine how the brushes would be blown up in HL while HL has already big problems with 'bad shape brushes' and lighting effects..
but i did make some maps with buildings of witch you could blow it up piece by piece... :fight:

dudeman has spoken

Best answers
for once i agree with dudeman that geo mod stuff would make servers laggy and would also be very hard to make a decent map for

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
u cannot add geo mod to any game because the geo mod is not some small option... its a compleatly seperate engine from the hl one...

and there is no way in hell esf is switching engines... because that would mean all there work is wasted and have to start from scratch...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Itd only be good for sp. Which i would like to see in ESF but prolly wont.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OR you would have to make a for Red Faction or something...

Best answers
Red Faction was a beta test of Geo Mod and I would love to have it in ESF but yea I do know that it would be fairly hard to incorperate, also does Geo Mod have like a main site

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Red Faction was total crap... they got geomod and then thought that they can make a game based on this wonderfull geomod ****e so ppl would buy it, the A.I is VERY poor, they will say @DONT SHOOT ME@ run away then stop and shoot you, then say @DONT SHOOT ME@ again and run away again

The Cars in r crappy coded since they cannot handle abit of bump on the floor.

If someone is standing on a platform and u blow up the floor, they will just hover in the air, and maybe fall down in the standing positen, dont takeing any damage at all.

Red Faction was just to test this geomod.

and in my opinium..

it did not work.

EDIT: its funny since these r the same ppl who made the best space sims ever @Freespace@

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Although it sounds quite interesting, I would have to go with Akuma on this one. Red Faction was not the be all and end all. Half-Life, despite its engine, did much better (in terms of player number) than Red Faction. And, I believe this may have been stated previously, but ESF would have to start all over again, from the very beginning, if they moved to a different engine. Then you would have a couple more years to wait for the beta ;)

Take what you can get.

Banned
Banned
Best answers
This has been brought up a million times..
Face it..
THE TEAM WILL NOT INCORPORATE ANY GEOMOD TECHNOLOGY, EVER!

Also, don't forget that..
THEY PROBABLY WON'T SWITCH ENGINES THIS FAR IN THE GAME!

In other words..
STOP SAYING THAT THEY SHOULD USE DIFFERENT ENGINES!
It's annoying...just give it up already!

CLOSED

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom