how does the scale-down affect fps?

Best answers
just wondering how much of an effect the scale down has, i wanna know if the maps are 4x larger (which will screw up my fps) or if the models have been made 4x smaller (which in theory shouldnt affect fps - or if anything improve them)

only asking because ive got an ageing computer (p450mhz with 2x voodoo2's) and i can run most MODs (CStrike, ESF alpha, TFC, VSlayer) without any major fps problems (CS is stable at 50fps) but others, e.g. day of defeat give me some seriously gfx lag

thx

(P.S. one tiny thing that always bugged me in the esf alpha - when you die in the alpha; the half-life sound of a heart-rate measurer flat-lining is heard, will this 'problem' be 'fixed' in the beta?)

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
probally wont change them they only changed teh size of the model so everythings going to be the same only the map will apper bigger O_O

im super smart

Best answers
err...lol...thx

no offense, but im still waiting for an answer from a team member :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FM was correct, but there is an increase in ploys on the screen because you firled of vision is larger, it doesnt affect your FPS that you would notice, but what will demand more is joes particle affects but the good thing is that you can change those in a menu, so everyones happy.
And YES the flatling heartbeat is gone..thank FreeDom for that ;)

BrunO

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by BrunO
FM was correct, but there is an increase in ploys on the screen because you firled of vision is larger, it doesnt affect your FPS that you would notice, but what will demand more is joes particle affects but the good thing is that you can change those in a menu, so everyones happy.
And YES the flatling heartbeat is gone..thank FreeDom for that ;)

BrunO
see super smart!!!

Best answers
I think they also made the map more detailed, else it would look like a stretched map, that and the other details, so I think you'll have less fps than alpha2.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I will say that I have a P2 450 with 383 megs of ram and a Hercules kyro 2 4500 vid card and it runs at about 30 fps just flying around. Now when there is lots of action and fighting going on it can get down to 15. In the alpha my fps on the same system is like 20 just flying around :p. The beta has very nice graphics but it will not kill you with low fps.

Best answers
It really depends on how many people are playing. Technically its not a larger amount of polys in your veiw because theoretically the maps are the same size. Not much detail needs to go into it because, well, its a DBZ map. Come on.

But Bruno's right when saying that The particle system is taxing. It is homie.

Best answers
yea i remember tryin the demo of the particle system - and watched in horror as these little yellow specks dropped my fps from 60 to 5.

But ive heard its been improved since then

still, it looks as though im gonna have to turn the particle system off in the beta, from what im hearing in this thread

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have a nearly identical set up.

Celeron A 466 MHz and I used to have a Voodoo3.

MY FPS were about 25-30 and the particle system only drops it about 5. The beta is very playable even on a 56k. I have the Particle system turned to medium setting.

LoW eNd UsAh's RePrEsEnT!!! :p

(;/)

Ascended Player Elite
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I may sound like a noob by asking this...
But how do you change your particle settings?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Majin Saiyajin
I may sound like a noob by asking this...
But how do you change your particle settings?
Its in your advanced customize settings (beta version only). I beleive there is a CVAR as well.

Best answers
Someone was asking about map sizes so ill give you an example.
In the Alpha the DesertArena map is about 1/4 the size of the newer current Beta maps (Roshis Island,Kami Lookout, CellArena maps ect.). And to add to that there is the 1/4 scale down. Not only have we made the maps bigger but also the lagg cause by high r_speeds is hardly present. The only problem is in a couple maps there will be mass amounts of water and that can drop your fps. Other than that the increase in size of the maps have little impact on lagging lower end users.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
as long as I can run it with a pentium one 233MhZ MMX, 256MB DIMM RAM and a Voodoo3 2000 i'm cool. :)

Best answers
I have a 750 with 192 mbs of ram geforce 2 mx400 64 mbs of ram on it, would it run fine on that. Im getting a bit scared hearing that the particle system can take its toll on this comp :S

Best answers
the r_speeds on the maps are higher, and the models are a little higher poly.

also, dont forget the particle system, higher aura count, etc

you are gonna need a more beefy computer to run this than most mods.

UPGRADE!:devil:

Best answers
I dont think my comp can lag...
maybee because of this.

Connection: Cable (128kb)
Processor: 1333 Mhz Amd Athlon
Ram: 512 Mb Ram
Gb: 40
Graphic Card: Geforce 2 (the badest quality)
Sound Card: Soundblaster live

and i have a resolution at:
1280x1024

Best answers
2 questions will ESF have the half-life spray logo thing, i dont think it should, and esf_STRYKER in your avatar is that the new picollo model i see :p in a very small and hard to make out picture. (im good at picking up on those small things :)

Best answers
Originally posted by USGogett@
I dont think my comp can lag...
maybee because of this.

Connection: Cable (128kb)
Processor: 1333 Mhz Amd Athlon
Ram: 512 Mb Ram
Gb: 40
Graphic Card: Geforce 2 (the badest quality)
Sound Card: Soundblaster live

and i have a resolution at:
1280x1024
i knew this would turn into a 'my PC is bigger than yours' debate at some point :p

well it looks like im in the ****ter, no chance im upgradin my pc cos

1) i just quit my part-time job
2) goin to uni next year (so no point in havin a decent pc)
3) it runs half-life and championship manager. thats all i need computer wise :)

Best answers
i want a devto answer....also it runs dod fine and cs fine unless theres a bagillion ppl on my screen. I overclocked a bit so it would work. Maybe ..... and besides my computer is sexier then ures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom