Downloading Beta

Best answers
well i saw when the Alpha was out there was really download problem because everybody should have it.
so i think that.
all those 56k no wait. Everybody should have this program that i have.

ill tell alittle about it.
its a download manager.
named Gamespot Download manager (made by Kontiki)
okay here's what it does to my connection.
when i downloaded Esf alpha 2.0 i know about 30-40 megs.
cant quite remember.
but normally my download rate is 15-19 kb.
then my friend said i should try GDM (gamespot Download Manager) so i did.
and you know what?
my speed from 15KB raised to
100kb!!!
so what i think it does to those who has ADSL.
download rate 100kb raises to 400-500kb.
56k: 2-4kb -> 10-20kb (im not sure.)

but thats an advice.
so it will take shorter time and maybee the server wont have that big problems with sending.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/misc/downloadcenter/instructions.html

but mostly its only Big files like over 1 meg. its only 50kb on my
if its over 2-3meg it raise to 80kb.
so

Best answers
Wrong...you know an internet has a certain maximum connection speed...56k can never get a download speed of 100 kb ofcourse...56k means 56 kilobit...that is the same as 56/8=7 kilobyte per second...so a real 56 k modem can never get a higher download speed then 7 kb/s, that means when a download manager says it get's over that speed it means that it is wrong,,,it means that it's downloading at the top speed of your internet connection. Like my chello cable, it can only dowanload with a max of 194 kilobyte ps and when download accelerator says it's going at 300 kb/s it just means it's going at my top speed of 194 kb/s. So your download program doesn't really work!! It'll probably mean your 56k is put to his limits and gets 7 kb/s.

Best answers
well okay.
i never understood much on Modems.
well my modem is only 128k. (cabel.) we have a little weirdy internet over here.

Best answers
it actually can if u have the right compression software built into your modem. my old 56k modem always got connections of 6+ before i got broadband so its not exactly impossible. :)

Best answers
no you can never get over 7 k...cuz your omdem just can't dela with it...your software may say it does but that is not right!!Modem just cant hadnle it cuz its analogue..if you've got isdn it is possibel cuz that is digital...

add

Force Pit Member
Best answers
ur wrong i think this was a 1 off none believes me tho it is true u can believe me or not believe me i dont have anything to make the speed faster but i was dl somin and im on 512k and i got a 2 mg dl i was so surprised i was jumpin wit joy i dunno y this was but i swear to u i had a 2000k dl speed the not sayin no more but its true i swear to god

Naz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
believe me, if u tweak it, veerything is possible :)

U'll get the internet company behind ya tough..

Best answers
did i just hear one say 2000kb on 512????? like on Adsl!
HOLY MACARONI
i better get out to my friend.
he's lucky!

well actually if some has 56k Please Try this and say if it works if its better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i use getright as download-manager
you guys are talking about is segment-downloading
most servers limit their connections
a download-manager uses multiple connections to downloads a file
they "fool" the servers
but try it with fileplanet and they will kick you, because they scan for multiple connections

Best answers
well okay Firefly.

i think your right.
but after what ive seen there should be about.... 8 servers where you can download.

espcieally at Redsaiyan.net
and more and more.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
segment-downloading also works with more than one server
normally i get a list of 10 or more servers and than i can download with full speed (768kbit)

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yo Usgogetto same goes for me(i'm a 56k user)It won't go any higher then 3 kb p/s

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fooled me to,

when you are using a dl accelerator it uses like said above multiple servers/lines/wateva.
my cable is restricteded on 160kb/s dl and ul 16kb/s
but when you are starting to download it always spikes way up, thats because of the calculating ways of the program, first he doesnt messure annything, then wham dl starts, but the speed difference is so big 0 --> 100/160kb/s that the program would say i'm downloading at 200/300 kb/s which is impossible, but thats because of the in advance calculating of the program

Best answers
how about, people stop staring threads with the word "BETA" in it, i mean it excities everybody, and especially having download in the same title is deffenetly gonna turn some heads...
well i have 56k and then most i ever got was 9 (stayed like that for about 5mins) but on kazaa i got 24k per sec, i couldnt believe it, and it stayed the whole way through..

Best answers
i got something like that and it doesn't really seem to work...

Mog

Best answers
on my old 28kbps connection i managed to get 20-25kb/sec downloads for half an hour. i was downloading 1 meg files in under a minute!! :shocked:
this only happened once and it was from just before the millenium till just after: 11:50pm - 12:20am.
i guess i must have been the only person sad enough to be on the internet over the millenium and that must have made it alot faster ;D
but still, for a 28k that usually downloads at 3kb/sec max thats pretty wierd :]

Best answers
faulty software me thinks cause the phone lines 56k user's use can only handle like 6 or 7 and thats fact (though i live in australia so its probly different but i doubt it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom