GFX Tweaking

Best answers
Like in Counter-Strike, does any one know commands for lowering my fps? I play with a onboard videocard @ 4mb and I curtainly can't play with all the lag. What are some commands I can set to "0" in order to get better FPS and lower lag spikes?

Retired
Best answers
to lower the fps its

max_fps "#"

and to see your fps its net_graph # (1-3)

Best answers
nooo! the thing is that i want to set like gfx settings to "0" that aren't really necessary...my game will look worse but i can still play lag-free.

Best answers
hope these help synapz (although im suprised you can play Half-Life at all with a 4mb card)

---Inside HL---

1) Lower the resolution (settings ->Graphics -> Video mode). This is the biggest FPS helper

2) mp_decals 1 (in console), this effectively gets rid of splash damage (battle scars etc...) (NB the '1' setting means 'show 1 decal' not 'activate decals' (decals is defaulted to 300))

3) (i havent played the beta yet so im assuming this is right), in multiplay -> customise -> advanced options u should find some setting to lower the pretty settings (AKA laggy settings)

4) cl_fxquality 0 (this gets rid of the niceties in game)

---Outside HL---

1) Update GFX drivers (go to gfx card's manufacturers website)

2) If you are running an ancient voodoo card (like me) install WickedGL (www.wicked3d.com). expect FPS to double with this life-saving file

3) Get an overclocker for your video card (search on the internet) (you can increase the speed (in MhZ) of your gfx card, but there is a chance you could blow it up (similar to overclocking a processor). Needless to say, i wont be held responsible for anything that happens to your computer if you try to run a 4mb card at 200Mhz

4) Misc - defrag your computer, run scan-disk, delete unwanted files, and get a RAM cleaner (try the CyberLat RAM cleaner)

Ive done all of the above because im a poor student (i cant upgrade from my p450 16mb voodoo setup), but i can run mods like Counter-Strike at a respectable 40-50fps, and the newer mods (Natural Selection) at barely acceptable 15-30fps

Good luck, hope u can enjoy the beta! ive only got another 10mins to go before the download finishes (my pc has been at the download for 7 hrs)

Best answers
oh another big fps helper - dont use the mp3 player!!! (although, rather strangely, my playlist was defaulted with no mp3's in it - not that im too keen on the ESF tunes ;D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom