ESF make win98se HANG during shutdown/restart

Best answers
im running over 30 computer in a cyber cafe,
there is no problem for over one year,
until after i installed esf BETA 1, my computer often hang during restart or shutdown computer(all 30 computer in my cyber cafe having the same problem,right just after installed esf)

as for other half-life MODS, it mostly only do copy files into half-life folder. but for esf, im sure it do modify some windows system files, can www.esforces.com post some reply about this problem? anything i can do to fix this problem? if not, i guess iwill just format my pc and wont install esf anymore(lets back to dmz,even esf better)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
are you sure that it is ESF that has done that to the computer? and when you say cybercafe are you saying that you are using a public computer? i am pretty sure that installing ESF does nothing to windows files, it merely puts the files in an ESF folder. how do I know this? i copied it to another computer on my lan just by copying the ESF folder and not using the installer. and for that last little statement, even though you are praising this mod by saying it is better than DMZ, you probably will be looked down upon for it, its not nice to say anything like that.

Best answers
yup, u can say as public computer, but its already one year running without trouble for 30 PCs. this problem only start occurs right after i installed esf.

i understand what u say by copy the folder to other pc and it still can run,but even that, how u sure that the installer doesnt do anything to windows system files?

tell u 1 thing, when i installing, in the middle it pops up a message ask me to close one of my program called "client"(this is a cyber cafe billing system software), this means that the installer is trying to modify some kind of windows system files that is being used by my program "client" too...

sorry if what i say here may be offensive, but im just trying and hope that official esf can help me fix this problem...

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
so if it is a public computer, how do you know that it isn't another person using the computer that messed it up. as far as i know, nobody else has had this problem, i suppose the best thing to do is wait for someone to see this post and actually know what really is going on...

Best answers
yes, thats why i wrote message at here, i hope someone may lend me a hand.....
anyway, thank you
and...is it no problem just copy the folder by lan to other pc? bcoz this game itself already have problem and sometimes hang, so i worrying that copying folder may result :"more often hang"

Best answers
What I Would Do Is Scan Comps For Viruses If That Dosent Work Then Reformat Your Comp And Instale It Again

Best answers
thanks to ur suggestion
but let me tell u my case:
first, when i encounter this problem , of coz i did scan viruses, i used pccillin(updated virus definiton to latest), there is no viruses in my pc, and the problem didnt solved.

ok then, i try reformat my pc.
of coz first thing to do is install win98se,
and then continuing to install many software/programs/games/drivers,
and i do need to restart many times after i installed a software,
example: i need to restart after install directx , right? also after installed windows media player, and .........(many programs need my pc to be restarted after installion)
its all going smoothly without trouble.....
but when i come to install esf, after installed, the installer ask me to restart computer, right? ok , i restart it then.....
but then, when my pc is restarted and i install other software/games, when i trying to restart again, it is the 1st time i encounter hang during restarting, it is the 1st time after i formatted my pc, is it only a coincidence? i dont think so.........

ai.......so sad......
please, anybody lend me a hand?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
where did you download the installer for ESF from? it is possible that one of the places you downloaded from binded a program to it that when ran, the installer installs the game, but the program binded to the installer changed the windows registry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom