Do you think i should...

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
what do you think, i want to do something for esf! like something whit sound, or map, or even a model,, But i am not sure what i should do, what is the easyest what i can do whitin a day or 2? mmhh.. a mapper? maybe?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
a day or 2? mapping takes weeks to learn, and a VERY long time too master, years, as for modeling, thats even harder

Best answers
As I have learned... None of these skills come by easily... I'm a sound guy for my mod and it's hard to do... If you want to really help... Read tutorials and practice for a month or so..

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you wanna get into mapping, it takes a long time to learn....
I've been mapping for about 2 months now, and my stuff sucks, so it takes longer than that to make nice stuff :fight:

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
well.. i mapped before,, just to test it out, i know how to place lights and objects, and how to make cube maps! so 4 walls together makes a cube :\ thats the only thing i can do

Best answers
how about run a dedicated server for a day or two :D if you have a good connection and a good computer that is .. :]

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
i cant, i am on a lan connection whit a router, only my bro can decide if i can make a server or not.. and guess what, he said no.... but even if i can make a serer, its to slow, only 15kb upload, can only hold max 4 persons, or 3...

But back to topic, i am able to make a cube, and place some objects, ,, am i far in progres?

Best answers
I dont know what the **** you guys are talking about, mapping doesnt take months to learn, and probably only a few weeks to master, I learned how to use World Craft in a few hours, just read some tutorials and started, I made a map for Action Half Life but I never released it, It was a small simple map but not too bad for a first. If you are gonna do something, then go with mapping I think its easiest, I never tried anything with sound fx..but i know modeling is really really hard.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
well, the only thing i can do is!

1. make 4 long walls, and form a cube whit them!
2. add some objects, like a healing pad! or a tv. and that kinda stuff!
3. a light, like green, yellow etc etc light!

so.. does that mean i am far in progres or not?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It means you are off to a start. The ESF maps as they are right now aren't all that... erm... complex. Still though, they require more time and attention than creating a cube (which requires 6 walls, by the way). Making surfaces look rounded and clean is a tedious process. Mapping isn't too bad... unless of course you want to make something intricate or with several different sizes of buildings... things like that. You need to get further into it before you expect to make any pieces of art.

Best answers
MAPPING DOES NOT TAKE LONG TO LEARN!!!!

I learned in like 4 hours and then in a second day about 4-5 hours i learned how to do a lot more stuff like make big maps with high fps.

Modeling!! omg ive tried to learn how to do it so damn hard for me......

Best answers
They should add better mp3 songs for the play list in ESF.
I have some cool DBZ related mp3, which I play sometimes when I am playing the game.

Pumps up your adrenaline. :tired: O_O

Best answers
No offense to anyone at all. But its easy to make an ESF map based on the maps they have now, I mean just make a big sky box and use Gensurf or something to randomly make a ground add some textures, pic a sky and compile it! lol j/k its not that easy :D they have some good tutorials for map making just search www.google.com

V'

Best answers
If your going to be a mapper, I have a suggestion.Don't feel crushsed when people say your map isn't all that great.Also, if you DO make a map try and make a snow map.:idea:

Best answers
I havnt mapped or skinned since Quake 1 days, and if you try hard you can get mapping down quite easy in a day or two. Becomming a good mapper on the other hand takes alot of practice and criticism. Some good tips i used were;

*Make a Plan of the map first. If you try make it off the top of your head it will generally take much longer. If its a rough scetch on paper with general info labled you can locate possible map expliots (eg. different team spawns directially visible to each other) and draw it up quicker in your mapping program.

*Base your map on the games general playing styles. Dont make excessive confined spaces in games such as esf where lots of room is needed, same goes the other way, dont make lots and lots or wide roaming landscape in games such as counter-stike where middle and short distance battles are the main playing style.

*Take time to create your map, and to make it run smooth. No-one likes a map that it really blockey and runs with an appauling FPS.

*Be open to any critisism, you will need to take alot in before your map is complete. And get honest criticism, dont go to people who will say its good nomater what you give to them.

*Use the tutorials. even if you already know how to make a breakable entity, do other tutorials with different methods on how to do it. It may end up being a simpler, easyer better method.

Well i think ive rambeled on for long enough, and nothing is more satisfying then playing on a map you've created over a period of time, modified wo perfection with the recieved criticism, with a bunch of friends.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
ok! thkz for the tips, so what is the best MAP program that i can use?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
can i download a terrain editor somewhere? ONLY to place the grounds! :\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah mapping isnt all that hard just takes time to learn and get good at

btw madd dog that sig owns!

Best answers
btw madd dog that sig owns!
thanks

and i also think Qoole does half life maps and mods (used to use it for quake 1 maps,), I dont know if its still online but if you can find it, its really good for beginners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom