2 Person Melee...i lose :S

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, when 2 people swoop into each other, i rarely ever win. I have a good connection, usually one of the best in-game so its not my ping...i rapidly click the mouse when i zoom in..am i doing anything wrong?

Best answers
yeah, instead of clicking alot, just hold the melee button down.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holding the secondary fire button(melee) is the best way to hit someone. But I believe I remember Pcjoe saying that when two people head on collide it is random who wins.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok thanks, i never actually realised that this worked, cause last time i tested it out it didnt work....hmm musta been outa ki or something. Anyway i tried now and im finding melee much easier lol...been doing things the hard way ;D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The decision isn't random, it's ping. Trust me, because if I'm wrong it means I'm very unlucky all the time :p I also hear processor speed has something to do with it but I could be wrong. I'm sure about the ping though.

And yeah, you'll get it if you just hold it down.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It isn't just ping. For some reason, every few days I come across someone with double my ping (like 80 to 160), who constantly beats me in head on collisions. I mean every time, not just once in a while. There's something else in play, and I don't know what it is.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
its also wheres hes aiming and your aiming.. and speed of the chars...

Best answers
i don't think aiming matters much.. or maybe a little. like only if it was so that u aren't really colliding head on, but coming at each other from different angles .. think of it as if some one is heading horizontaly and u hit him virticaly (from above), u will win cuz u'll be hittin him and he'll be hetting the "air"

Code:
                       |
                       |
                       |
                       _
                      [||]
                      [||]
                       \/

---------------- [###}>
even if ur hitting him from a 45 angle .. u will still win. as the angle gets closer the chance of winning decreases (i guess) and the ping advantage increases, if it's 10 u might still win .. so
i'd say:
big angle: ping advantage almost disappears, the upper guy get the upper hand
small angle: ping advantage increases, chance of winning for the upper guy is almost the same with the other guy!!!

so fo ur homework .. do #1 and #2 :pPPPPPPPP

ahem .. i mean ..maybe this little thing can affect who wins too. i don't know..... maybe i'm wrong, maybe .. and maybe not.

Best answers
I might be wrong but I thought power level and the angle you hit at had alot to do with it? Cause it seems when ever someone is flying up at me and Im charging down at them I win.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Obviously they have to be aiming at you for their hit to count as a "hit." So if you manage to get up to someone on their side while they're swooping, you aren't in their hit zone, but they're in yours, thus you get the hit. That's just outmaneuvering. It's what people with worse ping have to do to win melee fights. As opposed to head to head, in which you are both in each other's hit zones, and the guy with the better ping (and possibly some other factors... processor?) wins.

Best answers
not aiming, there is some sort of an auto-aim. try to record a movie of a little melee fight, then watch t slowly and carefully, u'll find that when u hit the guy u aren't aiming at him, and he is not so close to u to hit him .. there is actually an empty space between u and him.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
be great if a mod or one of the team members could confirm this, although they are changing melee soon, it would be nice to know what and how to win these head on collisions

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If when you are swooping and an enemy and its all random the winner how when i play ape i NEVER win and when i play others i do. I have played Majin Saiyan and when we swoped at each other he won the majority of the meele fughts. IF its random why do i most of the time lose to the ape mambers.

Best answers
maybe it's meant to be random, but there are other factors .. u see, i think the random thing happenes in a perfect situation where both players have exactly the same ping and ar exactly perfectly "head on" meaning they form a strait line.

------> <------

but since their pings aren't the same, the server thinks that the one with less ping hit b4 the one with high ping .. i guess.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its based on ping and pl but ping is the hugest factor in determaining who hits first

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok thanks, i think they should do something about that though...well although i have a fast connection, i can imagen alot of 56k modem people being beaten fairly easily and i know its really annoying (*remebers me trying to play railgun matches with a 52k modem on quake 3) so i wonder what will happen in the 1.1 beta?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
1 more thing,, the walls and the sky has effect on the melee to, somehow, it doesnt melee target if enemy stands on ground, or you kick persons! i really hate that

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Hibiki
its based on ping and pl but ping is the hugest factor in determaining who hits first
You say it is all based on ping. I have cable and my ping is always around 20-30 and when i meele those ~{apes}~ I have a better ping and the always beat me. Do you have an explanation for that?

Best answers
As I believe how it works is if you hold down melee it auto triggers a melee in a cycle every 3 seconds or so. Hence that little thump sound you hear when your near someone and they don't get hit. Well depending on time when it automatically cycles, if both characters hold it down it's just whoever is the luckiest with the cycle repeating first wins. Ping determines it because with a lower ping the cycle is much faster.

My strategy around this and actually hitting APE members is tapping and holding melee RIGHT before collision. It triggers the cycle in a boost and usually hits them away. Another technique is to just avoid head on collisions as best as you can. I teleport and hit, instant counter, etc.. head on collisions are too risky in my opinion and I never take the chance when I got low health. Only do it out of desperation or if your feeling tough *smirks*. But yeah.. also melee never works when people are too close, the code screws around a bit. It's moreso a radius thing. To get around that just hold down melee and back up a smidge then BAM! they fly away. Or they hit you lol.. whoever loops first I suppose.

~DemonFox

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
right, that, if your right will help alot in head to heads. hope its the solution :) il go check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom