Optimal ESF: autoexec.cfg

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay so...I've been playing ESF for a long time, and on my latest machine, I have a massive graphics card (Radeon 9700 Pro 128 meg), a ****load of RAM (512 megs RD), and a reasonably diesed processor (2.4 ghz).

So I started to wonder my my ESF performed so...medium-level.

Theoretically, with that much power, I should be able to max out Half-Life totally, even as far a spolycounts and such go, and not lose almost any FPS.

As it was before, I was locked at 60 and getting some weird refresh rate tearing problems. The naked eye doesn't notice it but my aim certainly did.

Half Life/ESF doesn't allow you edit things like the texture depth, shadow detail, water detail, refresh rate, vsync, and all that stuff we've all come to take for granted.

But it actually does.

If you add several lines to your shortcut and your autoexec.cfg file inside your ESF directory, you can tell it to do several things that aren't possible with the user interface.

The 60fps thing was because of WinXP forcing my refresh rate to 60. Half Life has vsync on by default I think, or it might be off, but either way I was nowhere near my optimal performance. My card and monitor were capable of 100hz refresh rate. I used a program called "RefreshLock" to defeat WinXP's lame 60 hz for all games thing.

I would highly recommend this for hardcore gamers with cards like mine. I now max out Half-Life's framerate at all times (99). It literally doesn't seem to go any higher and seldom lowers (it takes a server of sixteen people with tons of beams to do it, on a map like ESF_city).

You can customize many things with your Half-Life mods with certain commands that I found. The site I learned them from was for TFC, but most of them worked and thoroughly helped ESF too.

If you have a problem with refresh rate tearing (part of the screen needed to catch up with another part, resulting in what looks like a sliced image for a split second...check it by waving your mouselook around really fast ingame). My game in general functions a lot better.

Also, using console commands to adjust your data rate allowsyou to adjust it very specifically, so that your connection can be totally optimized and not generally within a wide range like with the "DSL" or "T1" settings in HL's GUI.

Because of the uber framerate and clarity I'm getting now, it actually greatly improves the performance of the game. That "controller lag" that we all experience sometimes may be related to Refresh Rate issues (or so I read), and once I did all this stuff, it seemed to not occur anymore (other then for lag, but lag seldom happens with my custom packets setting, either).

I just wanted to share this with everybody. It helped a great deal for me, especially RefreshLock. Try it if your having problems. I'll post where I found this info and what my autoexec.cfg file looks like too, if you like.

Well, okay, back to work, break's over. hehe

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
got anymore sites for optimizing HL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom