Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, not at all

• No, It would take to much work and time

• Total voters
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
this question may have been asked (i did look for it already) and i think it is important. With Half-Life 2 coming out on september the 30th and it's good source code for making mod's. Will esf change over to half-life 2?

I also put a pool to see what fans think

V'

Best answers
The release date is false.It took vavle at least 2-3 years to put out HL when they expected it to be released.So, I wouldn't hope to high here. Anyways,as for esf being compiled to HL2, I hope so. I think it would just be a wrong idea for not doing that.I mean honestly would you expect them not to do that? They want as many players as possible.They will definatly going to convert most mods.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in either case, wouldn't it have to have different coding? That means scrapping all the team has right now.

No, I'd much rather the team stick with the good old original half-life engine and finish it on that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by V'
I mean honestly would you expect them not to do that?
Yes, I honestly believe they wouldn't... do you have any IDEA how much work this would be??

1) Source code for HL2 will be COMPLETELY different, so it's almost like starting your coding all over again.

2) New model/map system. You (probably) can't just use your HL1 models/maps in HL2, and if it were possible, it wouldn't look good. So you'd have to remodel and remap everything.

3) Textures/skins. HL2 will support much better graphics, so your current textures and skins will look awful compared to what you could reach. So you'd have to redo this too...

As you can see, it's almost like you're starting all over again. Maybe I haven't mentioned everything yet....

Now I just hope that I didn't just talk a load of bullsh** :rolleyes:

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
im not saying it is a easy switch but with the talent they can make a new esf that is amazing

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guys I dont think you would want that. It would take about 1 1/2 to 2 years before anything was playable. It is a completely new engine and they would have to relearn everything over again then rebuild everything. Also HL2 will be out some time this year. Just think about how much time they have been working on it. It has been over 6 years since HL1 came out.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
re-learn? more like addon, the game still runs c++ so coders dont need to change and there giving out the open source code. It's up to what you think but in my mind i would wait 2 years to see a way better looking esf then a old esf on a old engine that would die away sooner or later. when half-life2 comes out, the half-life crowd will move on.

Best answers
Thats what they said about Tribes 2. Tribes 1 servers > Tribes 2 these days, and T1 is old.

Half-life 2 won't come out for another year or 2, I garantee it.

Best answers
i really dont think esf tem can control the ploygons count of the new game engine esf team is great and the models look grea too but the new models will have to be in the wor for a long time look at sos i think its like 2 years and its not reallesd its sad... but sos is the best looking dbz mod so its great (and its stanalone) so i dont have to buy anything! and i really dont think valve can remake the lgend of 1/2 life and if the do sucesss i dont think it will be so good without mods like cs most of the 1/2 life community will grow less we got to face it but cs is currectly the best mod ever
(i like cs and esf)

bye

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Half-life 2 + ESF = Not Happening, like blade said, we would have to recode everything. The code wont even be similar, you just cant "port" it over, you need to recode the whole damn thing. DBZ isnt all that exciting anyways, ESF isnt as fun to make as it use to be... If anything, production of ESF would stop by the current team instead of us remaking the game for HL2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rumor has it that HL2 will have a feature to directly port HL mods into it (which leads you to assume that it will also contain the HL engine as an addon), but why this would be of any use is beyond me. More people will still own HL than HL2 when it comes out anyway. I don't see any reason to make ESF on HL2, graphics don't make the game. Look at the original firearms! BLECH!@

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is only one reason this would be a good idea: to lift the limitations.

Bigger, higher res texturing.

Bigger, better running maps.

Improved netcode.

Particle effects out the ass.

But it's not a good idea because everyone would have a hard time "porting it over." I'd rather have them continue with the certain product they have going here--cause there's no way it'd feel the same, so there's obviously going to be a bunch of complaining anyhow.

Still. ESF rules and it's already a lot closer relatively to any sort of completion on this engine.

Best answers
Hrm, i think they said something about HL2 being able to emulate HL in terms of mods or there is a soem kind of utility that converts mods. But there will probably be many issues and bugs.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From what I've heard, the producers are trying to make easy to port HL mods to the HL2 engine, so we'll have to wait and see...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
im upgradin my pc so i can play half-life2 on it's full, so i hope a dbz mod comes out. I think we will see good things in the mod directory for half-life 2

Best answers
io heard somewhere that HL2 wasnt going to support mods, so that they can sell the source to compoanies for money so that the companioes can make mods (i think the success of CS gave them this idea ;) )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pfft, yea right MODS are what made HL, if HL2 didnt have mod support it wouldnt be bought.

Best answers
I think sonic is right, if there wont be mods for hl2 then it wont be a big succes. And if you can recompile esf for hl2, so you can play it with both games i would choose for that. that way esf hasn't got loads of work to change it all to hl2 and they don't have to. and they can make changes but they don't have to make changes!!an ideal combination!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom