SaiyanPrideXIX's Basic Melee Tutorial

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok...so...I'm in game and I notice a lot of people complaining about the melee sucking that aren't using it properly. I just thought these players stunk at first (no offense), but then I had a friend in real life who was playing against me on my LAN. He was one of those "melee sucks" guys. When I watched him play though, I realized: he was doing it incorrectly!! And there's two sides to melee, too--recovering from hits is just as important but he didn't even know how to do that. So then I realized...wow, there are just a lot of stupid jerks out there who don't read the manual at all (there's no excuse, the damn thing is animated anyhow, even the illiterate should be able to figure it out).

Therefore it is my theory that a majority of the people who dislike the melee in the game are not using it properly. I've heard foolish complaints such as "dude melee sucks, you can't even get up," or "dude melee sucks, you go flying and can't do anything about it," or "dude melee sucks i never hit anyone even when I swoop right into them." So I thought I'd help set the record straight with a big-ass TUTORIAL ON MELEE. >:0)

--PART ONE: Basic Control Functions of Melee
The control scheme of melee doesn't work as simply as the rest of the game's attacks do. Depending on whether or not you are locked on to an opponent, the functions of your mouse are slightly different. Let's take a look.

NOT LOCKED ON:
Primary Fire (Left Click) = Locks on to the opponent under reticle
Secondary Fire (Right Click) = Melee Attack (when within close quarters)

LOCKED ON TO AN OPPONENT:
Primary Fire (Left Click) = Enters Swoop mode
Secondary Fire (Right Click) = Melee Attack (Held during swoop toward targeted opponent)

A few things should immediately come to your attention. The first of these things is that while you are "locked on" to an enemy, you may notice that your character does not intuitively swoop in a beeline towards the target. So technically you are not really "locked on" and shouldn't think of it in a traditional sense, because you will most likely get confused if you are a beginner.

Also, take notice: while swooping, HOLDING RIGHT CLICK is the best means of attacking your selected target, but this will ONLY WORK FOR THE TARGETED ENEMY (i.e. you cannot lock on to an opponent, enter a swoop, and swoop-melee another opponent by flying into them and holding right click, as you would the locked-on enemy).

Take heed: When you are NOT locked on to anyone, the only way to perform a melee attack is to right click while you are within a close proximity to a target. The disadvantage is that you cannot swoop (although many players substitute teleporting) to hit any target, but this form of melee is advantageous in the sense that when coupled with swoop melee tactics, it allows you to take on multiple opponents at once without having to worry about re-locking on to each target separately during the fight (which is rather difficult and inefficient), and also allows the technique of block-countering to be possible within the game.

Mastering the combinations of these techniques is the key to being able to manhandle an entire server with minimal effort.

--PART TWO: Offensive Tutorial
Offense is usually a point and click affair but in ESF Melee combat, things are a little different. There are two ways to attack an opponent: while locked on, and while not locked. Let's have a look:

Scenario 1: You get an enemy in your sights. Let's assume you want to melee him. Left-clicking/primary fire while the target is under your crosshairs will "lock on" to the target, causing a red box to appear around your foe. Think of this red box as a sign saying, "Swooping is Enabled" because that's basically what it does: you are able to now use primary fire to enter swoop, where you will move several times faster than normal.

Swoop is for gaining ground against enemies rapidly in melee combat. You can cover a lot of ground quickly but at the cost of ki. While swooping at your targeted enemy, melee is pretty simple: just hold down right click while you are swooping and ram into him to score a hit (assuming he does not block or teleport or move, which will be discussed later).

Things are a bit more complex when you aren't locked on. Holding down right click does not attack enemies, and nor does actually clicking it; for some reason or another, it is the RELEASE of the button that can trigger the attack. When an enemy is unaware, or when you are a great deal faster, or have the ki to do some serious teleporting, then this method of melee is a good choice because even though it is more difficult it is less notable by others, and does the relatively the same damage.

Now that we've covered the two basic types of offense, let's tutorial it up, tutorialman. >:0D We'll start with a basic offensive situation.

Offensive Scenario 1: An enemy is in your sites. Your options for melee are fairly varied. Let's review.

[SOLUTION 1] Left Click on the enemy to get a lock, then left click a second time to initialize a swoop, using your mouse to guide you towards your opponent, all the while holding down right click. If you hit your enemy and he is undefended, you will score a hit.

[SOLUTION 2] Get yourself adjacent to your foe and right click once you are within melee range to score a non-swooping melee hit.

See? It's not that hard, right? Now, on to the next part of the tutorial: Defense & Recovering.

--PART THREE: Defense & Recovery Tutorial
Many players do not seem to understand the in's and out's of defending themselves or recovering from a hit. It's pretty basic but still, those who do not read the Manual.swf file will not know this simple information, and to be pretty blunt, it severely hampers enjoyment of the game. Let's have a look.

When you are struck with a melee attack and you are not defending yourself, you will be sent helplessly flying across the map. Any landscape or object you hit will add damage to the wounds you've already suffered from being hit, and eventually you will tumble to an unconscious halt on the floor, where you will remain for anywhere from a few to several EXTREMELY VULNERABLE seconds.

This is usually the point where people who don't know how to use melee stop and type, "OMFG melee is so ***!" or something of that nature.

Well...you may or may not have noticed but a struggle bar appears at the far right of your screen while you are helplessly tumbling. By holding primary fire, your character will use some ki to right himself in midair, or do a cartwheel/handspring back to his feet if he is tumbling along the ground, thus avoiding the obnoxious "frozen" state, and also avoiding being slammed against buildings or mountains for additional damage.

Make some sense now, people?

(Look for SaiyanPrideXIX's Advanced Melee Techniques Tutorial, coming soon)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Got to hand it to you mate, pretty nice job. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it, and i wouldn't be suprised if its stickied :)

Best answers
Yeah that was A really nice thing to do for all the people who don't understand or who r new at the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well...I just noticed a lot of people who say ingame how much they hate melee, don't seem to be doing it properly. Unless you are REALLY wasteful with your ki, there's no way you should be out cold on the ground every single time you get hit, or hit a wall every time.

I noticed it one day when some guy was complaining and he said "it's so dumb, you fly across the level and there's nothing you can do." So I told him how to stop the wild ride into the far side fo the map, and then he started to actually enjoy melee. So I thought I'd do this to help others like him who obviously overlooked the manual, cause no matter how much it helps or how much you say they should, no one ever actually GOES and reads the manual, and it's a shame, cause that is a great manual and honestly even someone who can barely read can learn the game from it.

Well in any case, thanks for the compliments guys! Before long, the Advanced one will come out, and then business will really pick up. hehe.

Best answers
LOL!! I didn't know there were so many dorks who don't read the manual!! LOL!!!! :devsmile:

By the way, SaiyanPrideXIX, great job on the guide!

And to all you no-no's who are too lame to read the f*cking manual:

YOU STINK!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hmm... nice work... personnally, i think this should be sticky'd f00 ^_^
its basicly teaching n00b's how to hold there own in little match's without moaning constantly and calling you a script user :| lets just say if i had the power, this would be sticky'ed

Best answers
BUMP

In hopes of a sticky...this really needs to be sticked, or moved to Newbie Central AND stickied.

Best answers
It might be stickied,as there are a whole lot of people saying 'Melee sucks because it's lame!'

I go up against a person who don't know melee,he says it sucks but yet he doesn't know how

And this is useful because all the n00bs who play aren't smart enough to read the manual.Hope it gets stickified soon.

Best answers
Hehe, one guy called me a newb after hitting me in the back with a kame while I was fighting...
When I retaliated he asked me how I was able to hit so accurately and accused me of an aimhack...
After about ten minutes of explaining the basics, he started to actually do decently(for a noob) at melee,

Moral of the story... READ MANUALS... or this tutorial, nice job :) I hope it gets stickied.

*off topic* Please take some time and <a href = "http://yogosaki.tripod.com/video/">Download my first ever music video</a> I know it is slow, I can't find a host and am doing it myself. If you do see it please tell me <a href = "http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21973">What you think</a>, thank you very much :)

[EDIT]
I fixed a buffer to hopefully help the download speed of the video

[EDIT AGAIN]
I changed it to a tripod site, speed should be good now

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going to pin this up in Newbie Central for now, to see what kind of response it gets. Hopefully, little spam, and some legitimate questions.

BTW, next time, if you want to inquire about something getting stickified, PM myself, Hsu, or one of the admins, or even another super mod. There are better ways to get things noticed than by bumping, which is spam :\

Best answers
Hey guys imma newb and i havnt even got this game. Im getting cable in a week and im going to dl it. How much megs does it take up in 3 hours?. and what characters r there to chose from in this game.

thx Unciemike

Best answers
well when you get it almost all the questions will be answered in the manual, which is in the \halflife\esf\ directory after you install the game, it covers basic things, characters, attacks and what not. read it its good and animated, and if its animated it has to be good :p

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WooHoo!!! now I can just point people this way instead of having to try and explain melee all the time.

Good job SaiyanPrideXIX.

Best answers
Well I tried to dl this manual a several times @ the site under Help, but it's out of order. Can someone send it to me by mail: [email protected], it would be a great help ty in advance.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd like to stress that all new posts in this thread be made on the topic of this melee tutorial, and not of other questions (such as opinions on the game, game size, file mirrors).

Please, gents, keep this on topic.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah guys, I really don't want to see this thread closed. It took me an hour to write it!

Best answers
ok....for those who are too lazy to browse directories....

DL my manual fix from my site,but remember to back up your old file
RENDERED OBSOLETE TO THE RELEASE OF BETA 1.1(sorry for the caps,but I have to stress this though....)

Instructions:

1)Download Strings.zip,it should be on the top of my site
2)Go to your ESF directory,then the shell directory

eg C: \Sierra\Half-Life\esf\gfx\shell

You should be able to find String.lst there

3)Backup your Strings.lst somehwere,or change the extension to one that is not used eg .dog
4)Unzip Strings.lst to the same directory where the original file was

eg. C: \Sierra\Half-Life\esf\gfx\shell

5)Go to ESF main menu by either using your ESF shortcut or activating it through the mod list,then click on read manual

:) I was expecting someone to get this,but oh well....

EDIT: Doh,forgot to pinpoint where my site is,it's in my sig,you shouldnt be able to miss it.

EDIT2: Doh,made some typos,typos in instructions can be misleading if you know what I mean :)

Best answers
ok....I might want to help a bit with the tutorial

--Advanced melee

So you think you could just walk away with it did you?Well guess what,there're more tricks to be learned in ESF,and I shall point you now veteran-ized meleers into the much more complex part of melee

--PART FOUR: MELEE COMBOS
NOTE: It is suggested that you have transformed when this teaches you about the combo system of ESF(Not really a system,but what could I call it?)

So practically what is the point of tossing people around like ragdolls?Combos can redefine how you play,so make sure you have understood the basic concept of melee.

Supposed to say,you have an enemy in your sights,and you have struck him forward.You are stuck with 2 choices in a combo situation....

1)Leave him to fly into a wall
2)Try to get another hit into him

Of course option one is basic melee,but yet the second option....is another story.

Per say,you have already hit him,and hit the second choice.Now here's the catch: to catch up to him.Since he is flying faster than your swoop speed you only have one option,teleport(or zanzoken,as some would call it)
So how exactly are you combo abilities defined?It depends on 4 things:

1)Reaction Time
2)Clicking/button-pressing rate
3) Ki
4) Teleport control

Now if you did spend all your ki on flying aroud him like an idiot,you can't land a combo chain.But if you didnt....you teleport say....3-4 times towards your target,quickly click your right-click button hoping to get a hit on them.And if you have some more ki in reserve,hopefully in your transformed state,carry on comboing.

Keep in mind that you are preferably in a transformed state if you are practising.It is extremely DIFFICULT if you just start off as someone and attempt combos.

Hehe hoped that helped for those being pwned by |::Z::|,like me

EDIT:Gah,forgot to put this in,but someone who knows how to combo,please tell me if I missed something out.

EDIT2: Ridicule me if you want,but this ISN'T the final,and SaiyanPride may ask me to remove it.It's his thread so if he asks me to take it off,I take it off

BTW,he is also planning to make the Advanced Melee stuff

Best answers
Uh, I _believe_ the manual, in .swf form, is included in the installation file, the link to which is not broken, and which most everyone reading this more than likely has already downloaded, and executed. It's in the \esf folder by default. And yes, I strongly advise everyone who has not done so to read it, or just watch the pictures and click on the little white circle that appears under all those words sometimes, you could probably figure most of it out just from that. There is a struggle tutorial in there as well, which, I've found, some people also do not fully understand. If nothing else, the stick figure with Vegeta's hair used in the examples is humorous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom