the aura thingi in pcjoes dev

Best answers
I'm guessing that they'll do something along those lines. I wish they could release the aura separately, it's a real nice piece of work. (Cell probably has green lightning coming off him - that must look cool :))

Best answers
yeha thats true, and buu has purple you can see it in another post.......and yea it would be cool with permanent with ssj or like a turbo 2 which you go faster again!!:p

Best answers
meh i reacon they should make cells gold with the spinning "souls" instead of electrisity, like in sonic boysters (sp) avatar, again wishful thinking on my part but whatever they do it will look ownage.

Best answers
I don't understand why they don't just animate the aura model separately to make it truly animated, instead of having it just rotate in place. It would be a ***** to do, I know for a fact, but well worth the effort. Right now it looks kinda cheesy :p

If I ever get around to learning how to animate models for HL, I might just make my own.

Best answers
Holy crap!
That's some sweet coding.
The aura is nice, but you should add the sparks if Goku goes SSJ.
And electricity, if SSJ2 will be in the upcoming patches.
Anyways, great job joe!

Cell doesn't show the souls of his victims all the time, you know.
He only has shown it one time in the Cell saga, those people got crazy and screamed when it got 'crowded' in Cell's body.
Hehehe :)

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Abe Froman
I don't understand why they don't just animate the aura model separately to make it truly animated, instead of having it just rotate in place. It would be a ***** to do, I know for a fact, but well worth the effort. Right now it looks kinda cheesy :p

If I ever get around to learning how to animate models for HL, I might just make my own.
Smart ass, what the hell do you think the aura is doing? The aura is ANIMATING on its own, it has its own bones. My coding didnt animate the aura, thats DTs work, all i did was implement the bending. Combining both of these features makes it MUCH better the beta 1.0 aura.

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It does look great joe. I was wondering though if the thick white line effect would be changed over to something that loooks a little more in place... Its really nicely done but as is right there the white did stand out a little too much, but thats just my opinion...

Best answers
Great work with the aura, looks sweet :), I just wanna see it in game :(, keep it up... awesome game, cool (and getting cooler) graphix... :p

Best answers
the outside looks like its appearing disappearing and starting all over which i like..

the inside looks like its just rotating.. which i dun..

if im completly wrong here lemme know and tell me what it really is doing!

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Excellent concept joe.... using it's own skeleton instead of attaching to body.... makes it more realistic.

And as you told me, it's movement is judged by the velocity of the model... great concept.... that's a diff. way of coding from the usual attached stereo-typed way.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks :) Sorry again about the skippyness, HL seems to suck at recording demos/movies :(

Best answers
Originally posted by Pcjoe
Smart ass, what the hell do you think the aura is doing? The aura is ANIMATING on its own, it has its own bones. My coding didnt animate the aura, thats DTs work, all i did was implement the bending. Combining both of these features makes it MUCH better the beta 1.0 aura.
The aura is rotating in place. If that was how it looked in the show I would say, "the aura looks GREAT!", but it's not. I know it's DT's job, and Im not trying to be a smart ass. I was just saying that if I ever get around to learning how to animate, I will animate all the separate spikes of the aura. Believe me I know how hard that would be, that is why I would do it myself instead of just ask DT to do it. I guess I should have added that the arcs spinning around the aura look great, my mistake.

By "bending" I am assuming you mean the arcs that are revolving around Goku, the white ones that we have never seen before.

By "aura" I am assuming you mean the model that rotates in place, the one that we see in beta 1.0

If you want to give DT a suggestion on how to animate it, here ya go;

MODEL
You start out with the general oval shape. Make 6 "tiers" of spikes, then throw a little randomness in, as far as the exact size/position, but the it should be easy to distinguish each tier separately. The size of the spikes should taper inward the higher the spikes are. You should make the polygons for a seventh tier of spikes at the very bottom but not make them spike yet, but leave a group of polys below that so if you change the position of the seventh tier, the entire bottom of the model won't come up. You should put a single spike on the top.

ANIMATING
Start with the seventh tier of spikes. Spike them out, then bring them up to EXACTLY where the sixth tier is, in terms of size/position/base size, EVERYTHING. Do the same with the sixth tier to the fifth, and so on until you get to the first tier. With the first tier, move all the points of the spikes to match the tip of the spike in the middle, then move and scale the base of the tier accordingly. This will take HUGE amounts of time, but if you look the above animation, it will look like never ending tiers of spikes being generated from the bottom of the aura drifting to the top of the aura and terminating at the tip, JUST like it does in the show.

If the aura absolutely HAS to have bones, then I can see why this would be impossible(unless you can create your own bones in any shape you want), but if you can animate separate vertices in a model this is entirely possible. Let me know.

Best answers
The aura is rotating in place. If that was how it looked in the show I would say, "the aura looks GREAT!", but it's not.
Yeah, but you're never going to get it to look exactly like it does on the show. That's 2-D, ESF is 3-D. In the cartoon, it's a thick outline at the sides, while from the front it's a lot less bright. Anyway, if it is possible, you can't expect them to do it off the bat. I'm willing to let them constantly tinker with it until they get it just right - in the other thread, PCJoe stated that previously, they didn't think they could get it to go this far. Who knows what they'll accomplish in the end?

Best answers
u can make it like in the show. make it a 2d sprite with the look of the aura in dbz.

Best answers
Originally posted by Suicider
u can make it like in the show. make it a 2d sprite with the look of the aura in dbz.
The problem is since sprites cannot be rotated to match vertical camera movement, whenever you are looking down at someone the aura will look the same as if you were looking straight at them.

You CAN make a 3D aura that looks exactly like in the show, if you use cel shaders. Unfortunately HL probably doesn't support that. I still think my looping idea is the best way to go about it, I am working on a crude demo movie right now.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Let's just wait till Dt's done with the aura. I think then it would be a good moment to give some critz, i'm pretty sure Dt will do a nice job on it.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem is since sprites cannot be rotated to match vertical camera movement, whenever you are looking down at someone the aura will look the same as if you were looking straight at them.
But that's exactly how it looks in DBZ anyway. The only thing that changes is the width of their body from different angles. It may be possible to make a series of 2d sprites that would rotate as the characters on the screen rotated, but I don't know how half life could handle it.

Best answers
Originally posted by Sonic Boyster
But that's exactly how it looks in DBZ anyway. The only thing that changes is the width of their body from different angles. It may be possible to make a series of 2d sprites that would rotate as the characters on the screen rotated, but I don't know how half life could handle it.
Most of the auras in DBZ I can remember start fat at the bottom and taper as they go up. May have to watch the show again to make sure, but I know they weren't all round and had an upward motion to them. HL could probably not handle a rotation animation for a sprite based on viewing angle, but if it could it would be pretty hard to code/create/render on an average machine. Why do it the hard way when you can make an aura do something like this:

http://abefroman.sphosting.com/index.html

This link goes to a page where you can download my demo of what an aura SHOULD animate like. It's VERY rough, but if I spent some time on it I could make a winner.

The demo is in a .zip file which contains 2 files; an .avi and a .max file. Loop the .avi to see what it would look like in game. If you want to see the particulars of how I did it(and you have 3DS MAX), open the .max file. Tell me what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom