Melee isn't fun anymore

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
One of the things I like the most about the melee in ESF was the fast pace and randomness that sometimes came from that. Now, all anyone does is hang back and wait for the other guy to attack because they know if they even swoop for two seconds they'll get hit first. I don't understand if this. I can see the whole attacks based on KI thing being a good idea in theory, but when highly skilled players (I've been observing a bit, and experienced this myself vs some of the ::Z:: clan) go head to head, there's no teleport, except to dodge so they can recharge again, or just bind teleporting that makes you hit them in 1/2 a second, and most of the time if the guy is holding down right click they get hit anyway. Props to the team for the effort and all, but right now I feel like melee has taken a step backwards. I didn't necessarily like the ping advantage before, but I would prefer 1.0 melee over 1.1 melee.

My two cents

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The current melee system is alright if you don't get hyper elitist about it. If you are playing to win 110% of the time it's easy to take advantage of the way it is, but there's always a way around it if you're quick enough. True, it could be better, but it's not so terrible when you get right down to it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well most of the people I play I consider to be very good, and they play to win, so I do have to be "hyper elitist" about it. It might be fine and dandy on a normal level, but when you've got two expert players fighting, it's become almost depressing. It's not even fun to watch, it's just weird globs of elbows and white recharge animation. I mean you can get around anything (besides 1.0 countering) but that's not my point, my point is that people are adopting this as a new style and that's all anyone seems to be doing. I can either wait for the guy to attack me, which, if they are patient, they won't do, or I can try and confuse them and hope for a hit, which can work, but usually the KI hit from teleporting is so drastic that you'll be hit first, the last option is just to swoop right into them, which I've been experimenting with but it's just a good way to land on your face.

Best answers
im with GMan on this i think the 1.0 melee was much better

Best answers
Indeed, it gives exploiters also new advantages with this client prediction crap. They should remove it and keep the .8 delay in the next patch.

Melee becomes more of a "the one with the better FPS and CL_Updaterate settings, wins!" stuff.

Best answers
i dont know what everyone is talking about... this version is soooo much better than the last. it rocks ! everything !! i like the music, the way it is now and everything in the middle. the major reason people dont like it is cause they cant melee like they used 2. now they have 2 use beams !! O NO ! BEAMS !

i like this version much more than the last. good work guys ! i think the melee should stay this way, dont make it the way it was.

w00t

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by GMan
It might be fine and dandy on a normal level, but when you've got two expert players fighting, it's become almost depressing.
I think this proves what I'm saying.

Also, I'm a bit offish on the whole beam thing. I don't see why it makes you stop FLYING, it should just make you stop in your tracks when swooping.

Best answers
Originally posted by GoldSaiyan
Indeed, it gives exploiters also new advantages with this client prediction crap. They should remove it and keep the .8 delay in the next patch.

Melee becomes more of a "the one with the better FPS and CL_Updaterate settings, wins!" stuff.
Melee gets revamped next release, it will be nothing like it is now.

Fire a beam. It'll knock them out of swoop. Teleport around them, buzz, swoop, keep moving. If you are good enough at CONTROLLING swoop, it won't matter how much ki they have, you can tele past them then whip around and smack em.

Lasers work particularly well against ppl who hang back like that :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Abe Froman
Melee gets revamped next release, it will be nothing like it is now.

Fire a beam. It'll knock them out of swoop. Teleport around them, buzz, swoop, keep moving. If you are good enough at CONTROLLING swoop, it won't matter how much ki they have, you can tele past them then whip around and smack em.

Lasers work particularly well against ppl who hang back like that :p

Alright thanks but let's speak hypothetically and say that nobody has any beam-type attacks at all. Frequently I see two people end up in a circle-swoop around each other but get nowhere. Also, I feel that it does matter with the tele thing, but I know that "elitists" can easily do a 180 (most people use a sensitivity of like 10) while holding down right click and smack that teleporting guy in the face, or even block it and then hit the guy since he'll have less KI and you'll automatically win.

Busy Busy Busy
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Start exploding generic blasts right by them, they'll move. Also try using moves like the finger laser and eye lasers. 1.1 forces you to use more than just melee.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes yes but can we just stay on the point I'm trying to convey? Beams are fun and all, but I don't think I should be forced to use them, especially since charging a beam puts you at a significant KI disadvantage and if you miss (which you WILL time and again), you're basically punished for using the new system since you're an easy target due to your lower KI.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Melee is frustrating for people like me who always get the living sh*t beaten out of them.

Best answers
Haha, Gman..I remember you when you went in Smokey's server, melee was off and you said. OMFG And you left..or was that you? Anyway I agree that the 1.1 melee wasnt a good thing, read HERE about it (i think the last post or so)

Best answers
I find my swoop to be getting stuck a lot more in 1.1. Also.. The instaneous counter business is still very much alive in 1.1. 1.1 hasn't fixed much of anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by ImpTaimer
Haha, Gman..I remember you when you went in Smokey's server, melee was off and you said. OMFG And you left..or was that you? Anyway I agree that the 1.1 melee wasnt a good thing, read HERE about it (i think the last post or so)
Yes... I was trying to get more info on melee but I couldn't find a good server

Also, swoop seems to have a delay timer now.. which is.. stupid..

Best answers
Oh...what is my problem..i kept calling it swoop, rush. Anyway As long as they fix the swooping part and the part with attacking stunned people with melee, i'll wont complain anymore. Bin playing a bit more and i still cant get used to the swoop-range. Maybe that's all that needs fixed...oh well :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People have caught on to the sweep range and are now teleport backwards as you swoop them then once you run out smack you in the face. Works, but, again, isn't fun.

Best answers
You can't fight with melee like you could in 1.0. 1.0 was like street fighter, a casual guy walks in and an elitist woops him like he owns him but in 1.1 I just wanna get under my bed and cry cuz the casual guy can woop me like he owns me now and thats bad since you can't get any better at melee than you are when you start out. And today a guy was warping into gordan freeman just like in dmz *shudders* O_O

Best answers
Gman I agree with you... So do most "good" platers.

I also agree with Masta as well, 1.0 was like 100% melee now its probably more 70, 30.

Of course melee is not perfect or ever will be, but i do think that 1.0's system was more stable and took more skill. But like always it is up to the dev team, because it is thier game, thier time, and thier blood and sweat they put into this.

Best answers
I think 1.1's melee is good for the community in general. There was a HUGE gap in talent in 1.0, especially dealing with clans. Basically, if you weren't in ::Z:: or ~{ape}~, you got annihilated. This new system is going to give the "other guys" a chance to take the wind out of Z's and ape's sails.

It's not like Z and ape get thier asses handed to them or anything; when a Z or ape joins a server, thier name is pretty much always at the top of thier team list. I think the old pros are going to keep thier pro status, but at least now the average joe can give them a challenge(or something:rolleyes: ).

I guess what I am trying to say is don't knock this new system just because the once noobs are giving you a rough time; find a new tactic, then wh0re that until 1.2 :laff:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom