Melee suggestions

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I think the fact that beta 1.1 melee sucks is well established.

What would you to do improve it?

Acouple rules:
1) No post just saying "BRING BACK BETA 1.0 MELEE!" If you are going to say that, ATLEAST post a way to calculate who wins on a head on collision.
2) Make sure these are "simple" tweaks, nothing like "Make a uber l33t system were you u grab people and pick their noise hairz0rz!!"

Thats pretty much it, have fun :p

Best answers
First of all, you said u did something to imrpve people getting hit. I think it made melee slower.
Now, you need to use the concept of melee in 1.0. I really hope you still have all that code. The 0.8 delay should stay, and u should try to fix the Trunks' sword insta-counter problem.
Trunks ***should*** do that animation after he gibs someone, even though it does make him a bit voulnerable.
Like Halorin said, smoother animations are gold, and I like the melee sounds. For head ons, I still think it should be based on ping, because basiong it on pl, in fact, is also unfair. ( For instance: A server admin starts the game and locks up the server. He uses ctdb mode, he gains like 300.000.000 pl and then pwn everyone head on, not to mention his 0 ping ). I did here there is a pl leveling system, but that still woldnt get you near the pl of a 300.000.00 pl'ist lol.

*Im still thinking*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I've said in my other thread, and if you do add a "struggles" system for head-ons remember that basing it on KI alone won't work or we'll just have longer versions of this ... it'll have to be a mix of KI and another factor.. speed.. time.. something

Also I believe that this would only be fair if both players were swooping in order to get struggle.. otherwise the other guy could always fight back without even trying to move

Best answers
I think that you should remove the melee technique and add more speed to the normal movement...

I really diddent like melee.. and i still dont.. not that its hard.. i just think that it takes the fun outtha the game..

like the older version off esf... the one where melee wassent invented yet...

Best answers
Here's what I had hoped 1.1 to be:

1. I hoped it would fix how swoop stops working in close range.
2. I hoped the instant block countering would have been fixed.
3. I hoped that I wouldn't be blowing myself up with beams when I'm on the ground or by any surface.
4. I didn't hope that the hit detection would change.
5. I didn't think that the word tweak would basically mean melee is completely different.
-Basing head on's off of ki only encourages stand offs
-I like the smoother animations, but the current hit detection in my opinion makes for awkward situations when swoop stops working.
-I don't like how Trunks becomes completely vulnerable after slicing someone with that animation of him combo cutting.
-It feels like the damage has been reduced in some way, and that only encourages everyone to use Trunks and not other characters that have had a long time spent on.
-I think head ons should either cause both players one quarter the melee damage intended and knock them back half way, or just knock them back half way with no damage. That should break off standstill and people abusing ping.
6. It seems to take a very long time for players to transform, and that only promotes the use of Gohan and Trunks further.
7. I don't know why, but things tend to lag and slow severely at some ki explosions at random and sometimes the server crashes.
8. I like how the ki trails have been implemented.
9. I like how the player moves now off of ki explosions.

Upon playing 1.1 with the tweaks that me and PcJoe went over, I think 1.1 melee is substantially better. I don't know if better than 1.0. It's like.. The Lazy Boy of melee compared to 1.0's Bar stool. 1.1's smoother and more comfortable, but the bar stool's a bit more 'hardcore'. I can't say which I like better after playing 1.1 how it's supposed to be played. But.. it's better with the tweaks that one guy said and if you use cl_dusttrails 0. My framerate skyrocketed without that on.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by |X|trem[3]
Hmm take out the cl prediction, make it like bate 1.1 but with the delay I will edit this post later anyway, I just need to think.
There is no cl prediction.

Best answers
I dont think removing melee is a solution, like its been said its like 60% of the game

*Edit*
lol I feel stupid, hmm, there is no predition lol Im still thinking Ill edit my first post when I reach something

Best answers
yeah... but theres no fun in melee only... you dont make cool stuff like you made in the very old version.... melee really ruined the game for me :( ... no stories or something, you cant even write anything before your wacked with melee... i liked the game better where it was based on beams :) and does small punch/kicks

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just gonna stickify this one, if you don't mind, Joe (if you do, feel free to un-stickify it =])

The only suggestion I would have pertaining to this system is to look into the Trunks Insta-Counter problem that you overlooked, that's all. I know it's been pointed out, so I am more than satisfied.

Best answers
Also, I've ran into a few undedicated servers where the hosts could instantly counter. They were both Goku so apparently it's still able to be done somehow. Maybe it's their ping. I don't know how they did it, but.. They did.

Best answers
I think the winner of the head on collisions should have to do with speed and current power level or maybe speed and strength

Best answers
o_O
there is a cvar to remove melee...is there?

but anyway to stay on topic. i feel that if swooping headon, the players should go into a struggle or something. in the episodes when they clash headon they always punch each other mega fast while being surrounded by a aura. i think this could be used where both fighters struggle by maybe pressing left click rapidly. then whoever wins will get damaged badly and sent flying away.

Best answers
I think head ons happen way too much for that to go in. Pushing each other away seems like a better alternative. How tedious would like a 15 second click fest be? Spare your mouse. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im thinkin like in legends, your hit and he does a combo hit sort of

a seperate button for swooping would b binded to a key on the keyboard, maybe g.. this would allow for my melee idea and also allow moving across the map much more quicker and efficient

now you target wit the swoop button G.. then the left and right button would animate to hit around 5 times each button really fast, with if hit with the first punch, it would connect.. but if blocked the first punch, you can counter attack, or block the rest of the punches, left for punch, right for kicks..

now if you hit swoop then hit a punch or kick button, that would send the opponent flying.. but without swoop would be regular punches and kicks.. so only sendin a character across would only be incorporated with the swoop button.. this would allow for chains of hits that you could do with the already implemented melee system

this way, the melee would be much more interesting then just sending him across the map.. melee struggles could also be possible with this system.. if they hit and the same time, a melee struggle would appear

thats my SUGGest

it would also be cool to choose wheter to use sword of regular melee for trunks.. the sword should 3 continuous hits in my opinion

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
make it so you can grab them and chuck into the floor, BOOM!!!!!!!!11111

ICS

Best answers
i think that after the 1.0 bugs were removed melee owns but head ons should be changed to pl*% of ki meter currently full for example if someone with 4 mil pl and 40% of his ki meter tries to melee someone with 90% ki and 2 mil pl head on the 2 mil guy will win this will make it much more understandable and easy for guys playing with high ping cause of distance\connection type
when the score are tied both players will get hi

V'

Best answers
PL should never ever EVER be a factor for melee head ons.Reason being people who are sayins would own a lot of people because:
A.)They transform faster than most people.
B.)There PL is increased by 2.0 or by 1.0.
C.)Krillin,Frieza,Picciolo and Cell, wouldn't stand a chance even if they actually transformed* I have yet not seen anyone transform from krillin to mystic krillin.*

Like I suggested Health is a nice key to melee.If somone had a sensu bean though...hey thats a whole differnt story.Anyways, if melee is inteneded this way I would like to see two things happen. Same keys, and multi PS is set by default.

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Smack*
I'm not asking ideas for a entire new system with melee struggling (thats saved for beta 1.2), im just asking for a temporary fix.
I don't want a bigger "change" then beta 1.0 melee to beta 1.1 melee. If you don't know what changed, heres a little list...
1) Hit detection was changed from tracelines to dot products
2) Head on collisions use ki instead of random ping
3) You can't attack 0.8 seconds after you are hit while blocking (buggy)

Theres more, but thats just the basics...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really like the new beam physics and melee physics, honestly. Let's face it, those hitboxes needed toning down.

As far as suggestions for a new melee system...well I happen to rather like this one although adding struggles would certainly be a nice start.

I don't really see much of a problem with "head-on" as you call it, because honestly how often do two guys just dive directly at each other face-to-face in a straight line?

Also, the ideas about PL being a factor in head-on can be laid to rest in the sense that it is extremely difficult to keep a high PL in this version of the game with the death gain off (I think, on a quick side note, when this is off all PL gains should be higher, as it's literally a half hour or more of solid ass-beating to transform...as Goku). I was BARELY able to maintain SSJ Goku my first game, and the other people in the server began to attack me and each time i died I lost a monster chunk of PL that is a lot more notable when you don't get any back from dying.

Joe, I thought you said you had a whole outline for the next beta'ss melee already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom